Will an Alesis DM10 sound good when played through stereo speakers?

crash

I have an Alesis DM10, and have been playing through headphones. I would like to have the option to play out loud, and was wondering if playback on stereo speakers sounds OK. I know that special sound systems are made for ekits. But they're more money than I want to spend. I would like to try to just cable into the phono jack on the amplifier. Has anyone tried this? Can you get full range of drum kit sound through stereo speakers? I have an older Kenwood system. I have plenty of power. I want good quality sound. Thanks!

crash

Not yet. My thinking is stereo speakers have enough range to handle an ekit. At least it'll be inexpensive to try. I just need an extension cable to set it up. This would just be for my practice room.

Griffin

I had to make do playing my yamaha dtx532 through a friends cheap stereo for an ad hoc practice. It definitely wasn’t ideal but it wasn’t the worst experience, especially if your stereo has a sub so you get the full range. But a dedicated drum system is better. If you can set your speakers up so you get good stereo separation, helps make the sounds correspond with what you’re actually hitting.

electrodrummer

Home stereo - great way to pick up pieces of speaker cone from the floor when hit the kick drum a bit too loud.

Here's the rules:
  • Home: headphones (or a PA if you *really* need speakers)
  • Rehearsal: a PA
  • Live: a PA
Minimum of 12" woofers, speakers on stands, tweeters at ear height.
(as for make and model - that depends on your budget)

ToneT

Transients can blow home speakers, especially tweeters. Any mention of this anywhere, or did they stop supplying a paper manual with your purchase?

crash

Thanks, electrodrummer. That's the answer. I think I'll just stick to headphones. Adding a PA is a bit much for home practice, and I don't want to blowup my home stereo speakers.

ToneT, thank you. I've been through my manual, but only for info on setup and making adjustments. I didn't look for info on what kind of speakers to use. It's worth a few minutes to check it out. I know ekits have a wide range of sound, and need special speakers that cover the range. I know Alesis sells a speaker setup that works for giging. I was looking for a quick, easy and inexpensive solution.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Hi there.

Stereo's and PC Speakers work fine for my DTX-532, so long as the volume isn't excessive. Most systems will let you know once you've crossed a safe threshold.

You don't really need a full PA, just a subset. My recommendation would be to procure a single Yamaha powered wedge.

12" if you plan to use it for practice and acoustic rehearsals.
15" if you plan to use it for small rooms and electric rehearsals.

I have a pair of the unpowered version (SBR12) with a Yamaha EMX7 powered mixer that I use for a dozen different things, and my DTX-532 does sound good through them.

crash

I was looking for something quick and low cost for my home studio. The Yamaha Powered Speakers look very impressive, they'd be fun for smaller gigs.