Wilcoxon solos

always awesome brother
such an extremely important book
so much creativity and so many extremely musical phrases.
I can always tell when a drummer has been through it

Nicely done, brother! Such important material to shed (in my opinion) and you're knocking it out of the park!

Steve Smith has been posting a lot of videos lately of himself working through this book.

Nicely done, brother! Such important material to shed (in my opinion) and you're knocking it out of the park!
Thank you, d! Really appreciate you checking it out.

So I picked up a Prologix Blue Lightning pad on the strong recommendation of WhoIsTony and I must say I love this pad. Here's my first Wilcoxon solo on the new toy. Solo 21.

So I picked up a Prologix Blue Lightning pad
I have the black extreme version, it's also a great pad. The neoprene makes you work a little more for the rebound. I think the feature I like the most is the plastic rim that allows cross sticking practice.

Another super clip!

How do you like the new pad compared to the former?

Another super clip!

How do you like the new pad compared to the former?
Thank you, D!

I really like this pad. I've been using a couple different pads for different things over the past couple years. My main hand workouts have been on the Reflexx pad, usually the bouncy side, sometimes the dead side. For drum set, I've been using the Aquarian Super-Pads; they bring some drum sound into the equation and they have a very realistic feel.

But now with this Prologix Blue Lightning, I'm going to roll (accidental pun, but I'm gonna leave it) with it for a while on the hands stuff. I think the resistance is somewhere between the two sides of the Reflexx pad. I like the large surface (fits nicely in snare stands) and the fact it has a nice rim on it. Very impressed with the build quality, too.

Solo 22.

For some reason, I can't edit this video I took on my phone without it messing up the audio/video sync. Not sure what I did wrong. But no sheet music at the start of the video like I usually do.

Posted this to YouTube a while ago but forgot to post the link on this thread. Solo 25.

This is my new Prologix Red Storm pad. More rebound than the Blue Lightning. I was surprised at how awkward the higher-rebound pad feels to my hands after playing on high-resistance pads for so long. I think it has to be good to mix things up, so I like having options.

Solo 26, my first Wilcoxon solo of 2021.

This is one of my favorites so far. It uses both interpretations of the 7-stroke roll that Wilcoxon liked to incorporate in his solos.

Sorry about the weird breathing noises at the start. Not sure why I was doing that.

Back