Wilcoxon solos on the kit

vtran711

I've recently started working on Wilcoxon All American Drummer solos and it's a ton of fun. I've read a bunch of threads about it and I hear people talk about using different phrasings from the solos on the kit but haven't figured out different strategies to do that. Would you just take some of the stickings and move them to the tom or kick? Perhaps play a back beat then try it as a fill? Can you all provide ideas in which you use these solos on the kit? Thanks!

jazzerooty

I think Wilco in’s Swing Solos is preferable. By far. Rudiments are only part of learning drums. I’ve been at it for 40 years. It gets me back in shape pronto.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I've recently started working on Wilcoxon All American Drummer solos and it's a ton of fun. I've read a bunch of threads about it and I hear people talk about using different phrasings from the solos on the kit but haven't figured out different strategies to do that. Would you just take some of the stickings and move them to the tom or kick? Perhaps play a back beat then try it as a fill? Can you all provide ideas in which you use these solos on the kit? Thanks!

I grew up with that book for sure, but it never dawned on me to use the solos verbatim on set...I used more of the concepts, and the technique and strength that is built when practicing rudiments...I do use marching/rudimental type stuff in grooves sometimes...especially when it comes to ghosting type patterns...or like splitting paradiddle rudiments between the snare and hi hat, or even between the hi hat and ride...