Wil Calhoun with Oumou Sangare

elpol

I was just in Winnipeg, playing at the Folk Fest. There are few places where a night on the main stage can bring you a cross-section of music like: Oumou Sangare, Del McCoury band, Iron and Wine and Neko Case.

Anyhoo, I really wanted to see Oumou Sangare, the Malian-born songstress with the hauntingly beautiful voice. She had a devastatingly killer band, which I was hoping for. It wasn't until near the end of her set that I finally decided to try and get a glimpse of her kit player, who was just throwing it down the whole set.

It was Wil Calhoun. Leaning over to my band-mates, I say "That's Wil Calhoun on the kit". Response: "Get the $#%# outta here. There's no way!" Then came the musician introductions and sure enough...

I have to really give him props: He sounded like he could have been playing these very intricate and syncopated styles for much of his life. (maybe he has) It's not a style you see or hear lots of in N. America, especially with 'our' tendancy towards obsessing with more familiar and more 'local' musical styles.

If you have a chance to see Oumou Sangare, I highly, highly recommend it.

Sunday, we play a couple of sets at Sunfest in London, Ontario. The band I'm playing with is called Pacifika - I'm the bald guy playing drums & percussion: Come say hello!

what the funk of it

Wow, what a nice suprise eh! Calhoun is something else that's for sure.

I'm actually moving to London in a few weeks. Not soon enough though - have fun.

elpol

I'm actually moving to London in a few weeks. Not soon enough though - have fun.
Winnipeg was full of surprises - from Wednesday night to Friday am, we kept 'running' into Green Day and their entourage at our hotel. Seems golfing is good in Winnipeg, and I heard that their crew has a band that played Wednesday night, that everybody went out to hang. I'm sure a bunch of folks got a nice surprise seeing the Green Day boys just hangin' out.

Then Saturday was hockey celebrity day - I almost walked right into Vancouver Canuck defensemen, Kevin Bieksa. Then, looking for a place to grab breakfast; who should be walking in the door just ahead of us? Don Cherry (he was putting out the "DND" vibe, so we left him alone". Then, on our flight from Winnipeg to Toronto, sitting right behind us was none other that Scotty Bowman - we actually had a Mac vs PC discussion...

only on the road...

Oh, and London? Are you male and single? We can't believe the sheer numbers of beautiful women here... Have fun! ;-)

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

Funny, you're not the first Canadian on the board to move to London...!

what the funk of it

Wow, Winnipeg - who knew? Sounds like an awesome time though.

I wonder what all those NHLers were doing there - maybe a secret meeting to discuss the future of the Jets. Isn't it odd that you only ever see Don Cherry on Saturdays - something's up...

Good one MFB.

And yes, I am all of the above and couldn't be more excited. Those Western girls are one of a kind. Literally, they all kinda look the same. Can't complain!

elpol

Wow, Winnipeg - who knew? Sounds like an awesome time though.
Shhh, don't let the Winnipegers(?) hear you...
I wonder what all those NHLers were doing there - maybe a secret meeting to discuss the future of the Jets. Isn't it odd that you only ever see Don Cherry on Saturdays - something's up...
Actually we did ask the bellman, who was kind enough to answer without asking for a 'tip'. CBC is doing Don Cherry's life story and I guess some segments were being filmed in town
And yes, I am all of the above and couldn't be more excited. Those Western girls are one of a kind. Literally, they all kinda look the same. Can't complain!
Yes, those Western girls are... There were a few moments of wishing I was at least 10 years younger... (yikes!)