Why these kind of drummers are considered the best nowadays?

Groove Inc

For the past 4-5 years whenever I've seen one of his live videos, I've only read over-the-top enthusiastic comments.
He's considered one of the best drummers around, but in all honesty i still don't understand why.
I don't know if those who think Justin Tyson is one of the best are themselves drummers or not, i'm curious to know your opinions because i'm sure everyone here is a pro-drummer or has been a pro-drummer in the past and for this reason your opinion has much more value.
Much of they hype imo is because he's the drummer of Robert Glasper...

jda

weird music (he has to play to..) (second video)
first video he swings.
so I don't think (...) it's totally his fault what's a Robert Glasper sounds like a scientist.
Or museum curator.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I have not seen anything claiming that these guys are "the best". I was thinking the videos would be:

this:

this:

or this:

jda

they're considered not "best" but may have "expanded" the notation (of the drum set) the rhythmic landscape that wasn't there (post- Elvin, Art, Tony Williams etc
It's new.
Sort of a mesh between Marching band (extreme) and Electronic rhythmic (possibilities)
also has some element of Free (avant guard) Drummers
but it's very structured +/-

like the computer's 00001110101010100001111 's (code)

Learned to Code ; )

Last edited:

jda

not "best" the word is "expanded"

'It's still the same 4 riverboat drum set limbs expanded..

Last edited:

timmdrum

Silver Member
1st video sounds like a cross between 2 genres popular 25 years ago- trip-hop and drum & bass. The latter contained more than literally just drums and bass, so the name is confusing, but that skittery sound came from sped-up James Brown (primarily) break samples.

bearblastbeats

I have not seen anything claiming that these guys are "the best". I was thinking the videos would be:

this:

this:

or this:
Yea. The videos OP shared didnt do anything for me.

Gartska and Haake are up in my opinion as the bests.

I also dig John Theodore, Thomas Pridgeon, Benny Greb, Thomas Lang, Anika Nilles, Etc.

Groove Inc

“..these kind of drummers….”

Well, for as long as i remember you are only busy starting threads about ‘these kind of drummers’ and getting upset if other people are not liking ‘these kind of drummers’….

And now ‘these kind of drummers’ all of a sudden are a problem…..lol…

I have nothing against those players, i appreciate them a lot…..(also all those players posted by members EL80 and Keepgrooving…….lol…)….i just think this is about the most inconsistent thread i ever saw on this forum….

Tyson is that popular just because the guy is insanely talented btw….

I'm happy to have brightened your day (although it's clear that you're easily amused).

You are quite confused, because either you are confusing me with someone else or you have memory problems, because i've never started threads about these kind of drummers expect one for Mike Mitchell.

I don't understand the reason of all this sarcasm, anyway if this is the most inconsistend thread on this forum surely you are the most annoying member of this forum.

NouveauCliche

For the past 4-5 years whenever I've seen one of his live videos, I've only read over-the-top enthusiastic comments.
He's considered one of the best drummers around, but in all honesty i still don't understand why.
I don't know if those who think Justin Tyson is one of the best are themselves drummers or not, i'm curious to know your opinions because i'm sure everyone here is a pro-drummer or has been a pro-drummer in the past and for this reason your opinion has much more value.
Much of they hype imo is because he's the drummer of Robert Glasper...

ooooo - I'll be playing a Nublu in NYC first week of June!

I mean - he's a good player... very modern. He's got that - turbo speed linear odd time thing people like right now.

He's with Esperanza Spalding and has played with Herbie Hancock too - so ....there's really nothing to say other than the dude is legit and making a solid career.

Last edited:

mrthirsty

“..these kind of drummers….”

Well, for as long as i remember you are only busy starting threads about ‘these kind of drummers’ and getting upset if other people are not liking ‘these kind of drummers’….

And now ‘these kind of drummers’ all of a sudden are a problem…..lol…

I have nothing against those players, i appreciate them a lot…..(also all those players posted by members EL80 and Keepgrooving…….lol…)….i just think this is about the most inconsistent thread i ever saw on this forum….

Tyson is that popular just because the guy is insanely talented btw….

I get it, you've stated numerous times here that you don't value the majority of people's opinions on this forum and you have a very off putting style to the way you respond to different views, I can always count on a passive aggressive or condescending comment in your posts, yet interestingly enough I very rarely see you offer any practical advice on playing this instrument. You swoop into threads and immediately start to categorize people into what level players they are or if they posses good musical feel based solely on what they write on a message board.

Sorry, I've finally just got tired of the condescending tone and the talent moderator role you seemingly have bestowed upon yourself. I guess I'll just ask the same question another member asked you before, why do you come here if you feel the discussions are so below you?

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..I get it, you've stated numerous times here that you don't value the majority of people's opinions on this forum and you have a very off putting style to the way you respond to different views, I can always count on a passive aggressive or condescending comment in your posts, yet interestingly enough I very rarely see you offer any practical advice on playing this instrument..

I think you misunderstood what i wrote..

I appreciate all the players (and therefore threads) posted by member Groove Inc quite a lot….

Often there have been ‘bad’ comments to those videos saying they are only about overplaying or the next technical guy on the block…

I disagree with those comments….and always check out those new guys with much interest…

I only think is not really consistent to praise such players and then later question why they are this popular…in a way that suggests (to me at least) they are not really deserving the popularity…

But yeah….text boards, in general, not always seem to get the message through in the way a message was intended…

Regarding me giving (almost) never any drumming advice…

You are correct with that…

I have the strong opinion that someone should know how i play, before taking any drumming advice from me….just like i also only take drumming advice from people from who i know how they play…

But yeah, like i said, text messages are not always coming across the same like speaking from person to person in a bar…

I admit there is a little irony in my previous post and if that was too much i am more than happy to apologise for this…🙂

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Youtube comments aren't much to base one's ideas on.

It's music. If you like it that's cool.

If you want to play like that, that's cool, too.

If you don't, that's also cool.

Many drummers do this type of stuff. There's even a Jeff Beck tune with that style of druming on it.