Why put your name on a product if you're not using it??

MikeM

Platinum Member
I think Dave Weckl has a pretty rippin' snare sound and I think a lot of it has to do with that dual strainer gizmo he's got on there. Seems like a pretty good idea to me, but they're a little on the spendy side. I think I'd rather spend for a Black Beauty then to give him his cut.

I also bought an Evolution Ride cymbal and had it for a couple years before someone told me that it was his signature cymbal and had his signature on the bottom of the bell. I looked and sure enough, there it was.

Later, I was reading an interview with Dave about why he made the jump from Zildjian and he said something along the lines of: "Free cymbals designed to my specs and a cut of the sales... who wouldn't?"

I thought that was a little lame. Mostly because the recordings I'd heard up to that point made me think his switch was a mistake, but also because I don't think you're preferred sound should be for sale. But that's just me. I sold that cymbal.

mcbike

Silver Member
I don't have a problem with the joey jordison or chad smith kits. If you are a highly influential drummer for beginners and you are inspiring tons of kids to start playing drums I think it's nice to have something affordable to point to that your fans can buy. It's not like the kits are absolutely garbage.

I get questions alot from parents mainly that say their kid wants to start playing and they ask me what kind of drums they should get, and am I supposed to tell them to buy a Gretsch Round Badge kit? no. I am sure those drummers get asked those questions alot more than I do.

diosdude

Silver Member
I don't have a problem with the joey jordison or chad smith kits. If you are a highly influential drummer for beginners and you are inspiring tons of kids to start playing drums I think it's nice to have something affordable to point to that your fans can buy. It's not like the kits are absolutely garbage.

I get questions alot from parents mainly that say their kid wants to start playing and they ask me what kind of drums they should get, and am I supposed to tell them to buy a Gretsch Round Badge kit? no. I am sure those drummers get asked those questions alot more than I do.
Yes, Jordison is in a great position to do that, but i expect him to play that product. If he doesn't, isn't it just "Jordison wants you to buy this product with his name on it so that he can make $$$ off it, thanks loyal, broke teenage fan"? The only exception that i can excuse is Manu Katche's yamaha? kit where he came out and said, "Why not build a pro quality kit for kids". (My idea, i get the credit for it)

It's enough in my eyes to be Chad Smith and say "I play Pearl". It's totally another thing if I'm Chad Smith, my name "Chad Smith" is on an otherwise xmx vision kit (that is actually now a little bit higher in price because it has my name on it) but I'm playing a Masterworks. That's just wrong, IMO.

Last edited:

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about you guys, but I have never bought a product because it had someones name on it! I have never bought a "Signature Product" in my entire life! That type of marketing just doesn't work with me!
We have to face it, that marketing really isn't aimed at the average working drummer or full-time pro. I'm not swayed by most endorsements (I've already spent decades making specific gear choices) let alone being influenced by a 'signature' product. But I wouldn't necessarily avoid something solely because there's a name associated with it. Everything I use is judged on it's sonic and value merits before I acquire it.

Nay, the 'signature' items are largely aimed at younger players who know the popular bands and their drummers, and also the parents who are familiar with classic drummer names such as Carmine and Buddy Rich. Maybe Chad Smith now qualifies with both kids and their parents?

Bermuda

MikeN

PEARL are the baddest when come time to market a signature snare.

None of Chad Smith or Joey Jordison ever used their own signature snare drum, is any of both would like to tour with their 200$ signature snare drum ???

I think they try to market these kind of entry level snare for sales profit.
True, I saw Chad Smith with Chickenfoot, and he was using a Jimmy Chamberlin signature snare. By the way, Chamberlin does use his own snare.

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
True, I saw Chad Smith with Chickenfoot, and he was using a Jimmy Chamberlin signature snare. By the way, Chamberlin does use his own snare.
Most Yammy endorsee use their signature snare, aka Mike Bordin, Jimmy Chamberlin, Paul Leim, JR Robinson (when he was with them), Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl, Billy Cobham, David Garibaldi, Anton Fig, Ndugu Chancler, Akira Jimbo...

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Most Yammy endorsee use their signature snare, aka Mike Bordin, Jimmy Chamberlin, Paul Leim, JR Robinson (when he was with them), Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl, Billy Cobham, David Garibaldi, Anton Fig, Ndugu Chancler, Akira Jimbo...
But that's just it. "When he was with them."

But now he's not. So it's not the end all be all snare to JR Robinson as it was marketed. Never mind Pearl had made him a signature snare drum too.

JR is a a perfect example of a guy NOT using his own "signature" product.

Weckl? Sure, live, but I've read interviews where he mentions other snare drums in the studio.

Gadd? Perhaps often, but if he's in the studio, he's using what's best for that session, which means it's not always going to one his many signature snares (and how is it a signature snare when he's got so many variations?).

Last edited:
T

thatguykalem

With the higher-end signature products, a drummer's endorser approaches the drummer and says "We're making a stick/cymbal/snare/whatever, and we're going to put your name on it. What width/diameter/depth/whatever do you want?"

I know for a fact that this is what occurs with a high-profile drummer.