Why play drums?

Stroman

Platinum Member
I've had 2 kids go through the elementary school music program and a 3rd who will start next year. Every year when it comes time to sign up for an instrument, there is a need for a lottery for percussion because there are too many kids who want to play. From my perspective, there is no shortage of up and coming percussionists.

I am on Long Island just outside of NYC, the epicenter of middle class families in detached single family homes. I am not a sociologist, but if you believe that social class is a factor, well maybe it is.
Interesting! It was the same when I went to elementary school band lessons in the early 70s. They made me take sax because they had enough drummers. I finally pestered my parents enough to get me private lessons. I went in, auditioned, and became drum captain my first year. Because I WANTED it. lol

Last edited:

bud7h4

Silver Member
Cost wise, I don't remember a better time to buy drums. The quality of intermediate level drums you can get today is astonishing.

Learning is easier than ever thanks to incredible drummers sharing their knowledge on the interwebs.

Noise can be kept to a minimum using more methods than ever before.

The biggest negative, to me, is if you plan on being a pro, the rock, pop, R&B, and metal scenes are absolutely saturated with the best drummers those genres have ever seen.

Brian

Gold Member
Drummers like Karl Brazil, Ash Soan, Anton Fig, Ralph Salmins, Kenny Aronoff, Matt Chamberlain, Omar Hakim or Simon Philips will probably rightfully disagree.
I think he was exaggerating to make a point, a valid one...drummers are being outsourced. Popular music, anyway, is dominated by the digital end.

philrudd

Just underscoring what's already been said, but when I was young there were exactly ZERO people directing me towards drumming.

I heard music, it got me excited, and I wanted to be part of it. Banged around on potato-chip canisters until I could scrounge up a 'beater kit' for $100. Replaced the parts one at a time as I saved money.

I didn't have any guidance, nor any resources. But yet, here I am, thirty years later, still playing, still loving it.

To paraphrase Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park: 'If there is one thing the history of drumming has taught us, it's that drumming will not be contained. It breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is.'

The Tank

All of this is precisely why I started playing drums at the age of 19 and a half when I had my own car, job, house with understanding parents, etc. Furthermore, when I started I couldn't see myself being a successful guitarist (at that age I was deciding what instrument to try and learn. I actually learned how to play guitar shortly after. heh heh. Still mainly a drummer though). And drumming just seemed way cooler as well, in addition to the fact that I always had a very natural sense of rhythm.

The way I started is very different than most people.

J

JohnoWorld

JohnO, I find it strange that you say drumming is boring and that is just a fact, and then you say this " Drum practicing on it's own is boring, sorry but that is a fact. This is why i practice along to music (as some have pointed out)." If you are playing along to music as your practice, then practice isn't boring. Can't have it both ways.
Considering you are a moderator, you're not very good at reading or accepting other peoples opinions.

I don't know what you practice but I practice rudiments and that is p155 boring. So I do it along to music which makes it more fun and interesting.

Clear enough for you now?

iwearnohats

Silver Member
If you find rudimental practice boring, you're obviously not concentrating enough :). But I know where you're coming from: I have a short attention span and I would be so much better by now if I didn't! I think it's important to have a clear goal. You need to have a reason to practice those rudiments, otherwise you have nothing to aim for.

I recently saw Matt Halpern do a drum clinic and there was a huge range in the (apparent) ages of the drummers present. Unfortunately only a few of us knew who Dennis Chambers was when he asked (which was sad to see!), but nevertheless, the young blokes are out there and learning!

If anything, I would say that the average standard of ability has increased in the last 15 years or so - or that may just simply be that I'm lucky enough to have seen a number of exceptional young drummers in that time.

Why do I play drums? Because I always wanted to. There's no rationale behind it. I couldn't even aurally separate instruments when I was a child (presumably for the same reason I find it hard to focus when many people are talking at once), all I knew was that I wanted to play drums. There weren't even any drummer influences when I was a kid - I didn't like much music (certainly nothing on the radio back in the early 90's!), and it wasn't until I started actually playing and trying to emulate punk rock drummers for a couple of years before being introduced to guys like Darryn Farrugia and Virgil Donati, and that was when I learned just how amazing drummers can be.

I'm lucky now that my neighbours are incredibly gracious and never complain, and they don't even care if I play at all. I'm extremely grateful and fortunate that I have the freedom to rehearse and record in a home I'm renting until such a time that I can afford to buy a place and build a proper studio.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Considering you are a moderator, you're not very good at reading or accepting other peoples opinions.

I don't know what you practice but I practice rudiments and that is p155 boring. So I do it along to music which makes it more fun and interesting.

Clear enough for you now?
Hi JohnoWorld

Speaking for myself (as someone who rarely practices so who am I to talk) it was suffixing your statement with the words 'sorry that is a fact' that came across badly. It's your opinion because in your experience practice can be boring, but it's not a fact. Other people don't find practice boring and it would be just as wrong of them to say 'practice isn't boring and that's a fact'.
Now, I shouldn't be sitting on an iPad right now, I REALLY should be working. THAT is a fact :)