why play 13" vs. 14" snares?

lovemysonors

i've always played 5x14 or 5.5x14 snares, and am wondering what the big differences are between these sized snares versus 7x13 or 6.5x13 (or smaller for that matter)

haven't seen a lot of (indie) rock drummers use them, but recently saw Greg Saunier of Deerhoof play a 7x13 and it sounded great live!

what are the differences, in sound, sensitivity, articulation, what?? why play a smaller snare??

Last edited:

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
13" inch snares are becoming very popular. I wouldn't be surprised if they became the new standard. They have a higher pitch with more crack. It's hard to beat the rocking power of a 14", but 13" is a size everyone should consider.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
The beautiful thing about drums is there are always options. Be it size, wood type, plys etc.. It is all about sound options. Go to the store and play a few different sizes, you will see what the differences are.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I like 13s. I usually have three or four hanging around. Part of getting the right sound is selecting the right drum. You can pitch up a 14 pretty high, but it might start choking at the upper end of it's tuning range. When that happens the drums volume drops and the drum sounds thin. The heads get so tight the air inside isn''t displacing. You don't hear the drum. Just the heads.

A shallower drum might help, but diameter has a more direct bearing on pitch. Deep shells will give the drum more body. A bigger fatter sound.

I guess the first thing to decide is what pitch you want the snare to be, and then how much body you want that pitch to have.

HTH

toddy

Platinum Member
That's a nice comment Freddy, I'll keep it in mind when looking for my new snare(s).
I'd quite like to get a 14x7 and a 13x6.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
Just let a 13" x 3.5" picollo go. Was using as my alternate. Funny thing was, it had a tuning range that was well more broad than my main snare which is 6"x 14". I just like the overall sound and unbelievable volume and tone my main snare gives me.

As popular as the popcorn and smaller snares have been lately, it's just another blend of the tons of variations that people are taking their sounds to.

My recommenedation (as stated above) is to go play a few. If you have the time and patience, ask if you can play with the tunings and take your time playing aorund with what is on the floor. Don't be too eager to buy. Sometimes it's better to sit on it for a day and come back the next day to buy. You definitely want to buy something that gives you a sound you'll love...not something you've "settled" with.

Unix

Silver Member
13" inches snare are better IMHO, for many reason, first as mention you can tune them high pitch without shoking them, also you can tune them very low and get plenty of bottom.

My main snare is a 13" x 6 1/2" and it's more versatile then all my other 14" and I have a few of them you can beleive me lol...

Another thing to it's advantage is that it take less space between your legs.

freehandstyle

I tend to crank my 14" snare and I feel that I actually enjoy the higher pitch sound in my snares. Then I got a Black Panther 12" x 7" and tuned it medium and found out how much I enjoy my snares at the higher pitch.

Now I recently acquired a 13" x 3.5" Black Panther as well and I must say I'm having lots of fun trying the different tuning. I guess all in all, 14" don't necessary need to be the norm and I'd definitely recommend you try a 12" or 13" snare.

Personally, I think my next snare would definitely be a 13" x 6.5 or 13" x 7"
The 13" x 7" is starting to pop up more and more like the new Ludwig Black Magic series coming out in 14" x 5", 14' x 6.5" and 13" x 7". Some other drum companies like Pork Pie, Ddrums are also popping up with 13" x 7" snares.

all in all, give those snares with different specs a try. Although material and different wood is important to the sound, the dimensions actual play quite a big part in the overall snare sound.

Nodiggie

Gold Member
That's a nice comment Freddy, I'll keep it in mind when looking for my new snare(s).
I'd quite like to get a 14x7 and a 13x6.
Yeah, the 14x7 is a beast for rock, especially classic rock or Metal. But, some modern Metal bands are using smaller snares (Demon Hunter).

I use 14x7 Collector Series and 12x6 Musashi Oak. I have 7 snare drums but use these the most. You can check out how the 12x6 sounds here:

www.myspace.com/stevejwalkerband

Have fun with that new snare, what ever you choose.

metal overlord

Gold Member
Yeah, the 14x7 is a beast for rock, especially classic rock or Metal. But, some modern Metal bands are using smaller snares (Demon Hunter).

I use 14x7 Collector Series and 12x6 Musashi Oak. I have 7 snare drums but use these the most. You can check out how the 12x6 sounds here:

www.myspace.com/stevejwalkerband

Have fun with that new snare, what ever you choose.

Chris Adler from Lamb of God, too. He has a 13" Black Panther, I think.

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
Chris Adler from Lamb of God, too. He has a 13" Black Panther, I think.
I think it's a 12". I'm going to go check....

Yup, 12" BP Birdseye.

I think this is a little on the small side, but whatever floats his boat. When are we going to start seeing half sizes?

I think a 13 1/2" would do nicely, but buying heads would be a problem.

Ozzy Biz

Platinum Member
I play a 6.5x14 jarrah stave. If I crank the heads, it gets about as high into the register that I'd want in a main snare while retaining an amazing amount of body. If I want a higher pitch sound I'll turn to a 12" drum or a 4x14".

I can also put it into a lower register for ballads or slower songs where a 13" feels a little 'small'.

In my opinion, things like old-school texas shuffles and the like just don't feel right with a super-poppy snare sound (ala 13" drum). You need the extra body and depth that you get from a larger drum. It has more presence.

The 14" also gives you more room for brushes, as 13's tend to be lacking a little too much real estate.

New standard is such a poxy term anyway... play what sounds good to you (provided it doesn't sound wrong to everyone else in the room).

And to quote an anonymous pro drummer:
I've always thought that there were TWO standard sizes... 5ish x 14 and 6ish x 14... you might say 5.5 and 6.5. Whatever. Anything outside the 5-7" depth is either dumb or dumber and anything smaller than 14" is just gay.

mrchattr

Gold Member
I usually use two snares...a 14 x 5.5 and a 13 x 4. Of the two, I love the 13 more. It's a little more comfy between my legs, has a better tuning range, and doesn't lose sound in the higer tuning ranges. It's impossible to say that is all because of the size...the 14" snare is birch, the 13" is metal. The 14" is deeper than the 13". However, my point is that I love the 13" more than the 14", and at gigs where I can only use one snare, it's going to be the 13" almost every time.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
The only 14'' i love is a 14 piccolo by yamaha and the 14x5,5 Manu Katche sig. the rest of the snares must be 13'' or smaller for me.

Like my new baby:

13x6,5 brass

Attachments