Why not Drum Shows, similiar to Car Shows

Destroyer772

Gold Member
There was a small car show in our town the other day and I though how cool it would be if there were Drum shows. Now I know it would not work in my small town, But Cincinnati Ohio is an hour away so is Lexington Ky. My wife and I would pack up and go to an event like that. It would be an opportunity to talk with other Drummers, check out others gear and to have a chance to play and hear Drum's and Cymbals that I would not normally be able to do at the limited selection Guitar Centers, and the small 2 or 3 brick and mortar drum stores that are in these two city's. There could be a set/up fee and then use that for some sort of Giveaway. Do they do this sorta thing in any of the area's you all are from. And is this something you think would be fun and helpful especially to those looking to make a purchase but are like me and rely on youtube for demos and reviews. And we are all proud and like to show our kits whether Its a DW Collectors or a Pearl export.

It is a good idea.

Guitarists on forums do this fairly regularly- they can be a show and tell or they can be a bit of a jam, or a bit of both.
I've been the drummer at a few- it is a good way to network.

I would like a swap-meet. Take what you no longer want, buy/sell/trade with other drummers.

Ummm... there have been drum shows for some time. Some are local (such as the Hollywood Drum Show) and others are nationally known (such as the Chicago Vintage and Custom Drum Show.) The annual PASIC is kind of the ultimate drum show, although it does cater more towards manufacturers, and the educational aspect of drumming.

Drummers in some cities have organized informal drum clubs, where local players get together, hang, have some pizza, trade licks, and buy/sell/trade gear. My local club is at Alva's Music in San Pedro, and sometimes manufacturer's reps will come down to answer questions, or just hang (they're usually drummers, too!)

Maybe get something going where you live? All you need is a place to gather, where the neighbors don't mind some noise. :)

Bermuda

A local "musicians" swap meet might catch on.
Where you have all kinds of instruments being brought, sold and swapped.
Then maybe a jam session at the end.

As if car shows aren't loud as f@ck and annoying to the general public with people blaring their triple 15" subs, doing burnouts, or revving their engines with nothing but straight pipes out the back. No one says that the drums that are on "display" are there for people to play. The cars at car shows aren't there for random strangers to test drive, right? They are there for viewing, for seeing modifications, for showing off, etc.

The only problem with a drum show in the scheme of a car show is that not many people modify their kits. Not many people "bling bling" their kits. Sure some nice hardware and a quality set of pies can make a box standard kit look really good, but unless someone custom painted their kit, or hand built something, you could just go to a music store and see most of the stuff that would be displayed.

A vintage drum show could be cool since there is a "rarity" to some of the vintage kits. An all original '60's Ludwig in black oyster could be a cool thing to see. A vintage Leedy, some WFL Ludwigs, Sonor teardrops, or even a huge '80/'90's Peart replica would be fun to see and talk with the owner about.

I just don't know how many people would want to participate or attend something like this. Of course, you are going be stuck with those people who bring all their old sh!t they have sitting in their basement for 30 years taking up a bunch of space and bringing down the feel of the whole event as they sit there and whittle on a piece of wood waiting for someone to walk by and look at their garbage. Sorry, but your dingy beginner model Slingerland with pitted lugs and rust covered tension rods and hoops are of no interest to ANYONE unless you set them on fire!

But I think a drum show in the design of a car show could be cool. High class drums, detailed to the 9's on display for people to see and touch. No need to play, just sit back and admire the beauty of some of these kits.

As if car shows aren't loud as f@ck and annoying to the general public with people blaring their triple 15" subs, doing burnouts, or revving their engines with nothing but straight pipes out the back. No one says that the drums that are on "display" are there for people to play. The cars at car shows aren't there for random strangers to test drive, right? They are there for viewing, for seeing modifications, for showing off, etc.

The only problem with a drum show in the scheme of a car show is that not many people modify their kits. Not many people "bling bling" their kits. Sure some nice hardware and a quality set of pies can make a box standard kit look really good, but unless someone custom painted their kit, or hand built something, you could just go to a music store and see most of the stuff that would be displayed.

A vintage drum show could be cool since there is a "rarity" to some of the vintage kits. An all original '60's Ludwig in black oyster could be a cool thing to see. A vintage Leedy, some WFL Ludwigs, Sonor teardrops, or even a huge '80/'90's Peart replica would be fun to see and talk with the owner about.

I just don't know how many people would want to participate or attend something like this. Of course, you are going be stuck with those people who bring all their old sh!t they have sitting in their basement for 30 years taking up a bunch of space and bringing down the feel of the whole event as they sit there and whittle on a piece of wood waiting for someone to walk by and look at their garbage. Sorry, but your dingy beginner model Slingerland with pitted lugs and rust covered tension rods and hoops are of no interest to ANYONE unless you set them on fire!

But I think a drum show in the design of a car show could be cool. High class drums, detailed to the 9's on display for people to see and touch. No need to play, just sit back and admire the beauty of some of these kits.

Yeah! And get off my lawn you damn kids!

i'm not sure how it came about, but my old boss who worked for ludwig did something like that.

it was called the ludwig drum expo. it was a 1 or 2 day show and a bunch of ludwig kits would be set up were people can check them out (i don't recall if we let people play them...) then we would have a clinics, signings and a drum battle were the artists would pick a winner. i think we did raffles too.

he owned a music store at the time which is were i worked. we did it in a north hollywood rehearsal room from i think 93 til 00.

i wish ludwig still did this but nowadays some drum companies will do a (enter drum brand) "____ day" at a music store. my old boss who later worked for taye did this and other companies have done it too.

Something like this could start out small to see if it caught on. Then if it caught on, It could be some were like they do gun and Knife shows Indoor/outdoor. And Grunter mentioned it be like a swap meet were you could buy and sell/trade. Thats a great Idea, Im just surprised some of these Drum shops have not tried this. They pay artist to do clinics, something I have never really been into with youtube offering so many up close and personnel vids with all the top artist. I know its not the same as being in the same room. I would just be more apt to pay a small fee to go to something like this myself. There is so much stuff out there I would like to see and hear in person like everybody does.

You can drive your car to the car show, park it and let people look, then drive home.

A drum show would mean taking down the set, packing it in the car, unloading it, setting it up, letting people look, tearing it down, packing it up, driving back to the studio, unloading, setting back up. For those of us with large sets, not as easy as a car show.

Now, if you get paid to be part of the drum show, I'm in.

Attachments

• JULY 2016.jpg
    JULY 2016.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 99
A drum show would mean taking down the set, packing it in the car, unloading it, setting it up, letting people look, tearing it down, packing it up, driving back to the studio, unloading, setting back up. For those of us with large sets, not as easy as a car show.

Yeah you are correct. That's a lot different than taking down the set, packing it in the car, unloading it, setting it up, playing for four hours, then tearing it down, packing it up, driving back to the studio, unloading, setting back up, and getting paid $40.

(Now, if you get paid to be part of the drum show, I'm in.)
You do have a point there, Its different for me, my 4 walls and forum members thru pictures are the only ones who sees my Kits. My church has the trusty Export so no need to take them there. I live in a dying town all our Industry has moved over seas. My job of 18 years moved to Mexico. So I took my retirement money bought a couple nice Kits ( one mine, one my wife's ) and started playing again after 20 years. I believe a lot of Drummers would enjoy something like this thou.

Back