Why no Motown drummers on Drummerworld?

I think, regarding Motown and sound quality, this series (1 till 12b) is about the best you can get, unless you are able to find decent 45s..

The whole series is quite expensive though and also not easily available anymore..

If you want them new that is..

17FDDE33-7A72-402B-8F16-E2926CB47CBA.jpeg

Can’t work out how to post on my phone but look up Earl Van Dyke’s version of Come See About Me. I just want to know if you guys think there’s any tambourine on this track. I can’t quite tell.

According to which version you read, Jamerson was so drunk/hungover that he played Bernadette while laying flat on his back. ?:cry:

Yessr!
Bernedette is one of the most intense songs out there, and I’m a rock/metal head.
They say he played using only one finger on the picking, so graceful.
This one will get you by the boo boo as well.

As a long time bass player, I have always heard the story attributed to "Bernadette", but, sadly, history suggests it could have been more than the one time.

That said, it's clear Jamerson in his recorded work had a unique combination of feel, technique, chord structure and modes and...everything good and musical. Bob Babbitt too, although with a different approach. Unique voices, and combined with the drummers mentioned already, the rhythm sections were just amazing.

I think that was the story of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On.

But perhaps it happened more than once.

Last edited:
I see no mention of any of the Motown great "Funk brothers" drummers here on Drummerworld. What gives?
There are tons of great (and famous) drummers absent from this website. Conversely, there are quite a few questionable entries. Go figure... ? :poop:?

According to which version you read, Jamerson was so drunk/hungover that he played Bernadette while laying flat on his back. ?:cry:
I don't remember the song or session but do remember that coming out in the Movie. These guys played otheer gigs at night, so not only drinking but a real lack of sleep.

Back