Why Modern Pop Music Is So Awful To Some!!!

I don't understand why people fight over other peoples taste-and especially diss it. I know I don't appreciate or get some music but I always assumed it's just me-not really the music (all I can say is I don't like it I don't know why-much the same for the music I do like) Everyone is different shouldn't we celebrate that? I've never seen a homogenous population there is always variety-clone a bacterium and it will change/evolve within so many generations. But I do think that lots of people can share those taste and often seek each other out-lots of studies demonstrate like seeks out like-it's just biological. I have no idea what drives my likes and dislikes-they've changed a bunch over time too. Like I use to hate mayo-literally made me nauseous. Now I glob it on sandwiches, fries, steak, eggs, everything is better with Hellmann's real Mayo ;) I just started liking yellow mustard too the last two years. Viva la difference LOL. So I figure one day I'll discover I like rap (which I could envision) and maybe even country (which I can't envision but mayo use to make me want to vomit too )LOL. When I post a video wearing a cowboy hat, rather than my beat up ole cap, you'll know I've moved to the dark side and love country music.

..Like I use to hate mayo-literally made me nauseous. Now I glob it on sandwiches, fries, steak, eggs, everything is better with Hellmann's real Mayo ;) I just started liking yellow mustard too the last two years. Viva la difference LOL. So I figure one day I'll discover I like rap (which I could envision) and maybe even country (which I can't envision but mayo use to make me want to vomit too )LOL. When I post a video wearing a cowboy hat, rather than my beat up ole cap, you'll know I've moved to the dark side and love country music..

Thats what i meant, taste evolves during someones life, meaning that if you never would have tried the mayo again, untill this day you would have most likely said that mayo is the worst thing ever..Now not anymore, because at one day you apparently decided that mayo deserves another chance..And maybe now you are even noticing that there are also different sorts of mayo, maybe the one sort of mayo is even actually better than the other..lol..

Same with country music or any other genre..

Like, country music can be Dwight Yoakam or Garth Brooks..But country music can also be Buddy Miller or Steve Earle or Lyle Lovett or Jim Lauderdale or Rodney Crowell and then things all of a sudden are very different..

Every genre has their very worthwhile artists/albums to check out and to enrich someones musical life..

My 'two cents'

It's never been an easier time to discover music you've never heard before in any style- especially outside of what's spoon fed to you by major radio stations. Most of the online music services will even suggest music/genres to you, based on your listening history.

There are acts in any style, whether it's modern, classic to progressive...etc. For example, a couple of years ago I was in Cuba and I watched a jazz band in a small jazz club in Havana that blew me away, I wrote down their band name and on getting back to the UK/my WiFi I looked up their available discography and could stream stuff from Spotify and if I chose to purchase it digitally from iTunes/ physically from their website.

Would I have done that if I didn't like them as with the opening act, also Latin jazz? (Who's name I didnt take note of) Of course not but I put myself in that venue in the first place and it's never been easier to find material from things you actually enjoy or discover.

On a similar note, I'm off to see an unknown band tomorrow night that I came across in a genre I don't usually listen to in the last few weeks. I came across one of their songs, listened to more of their discography which I also liked and off the back of that found all their tour dates to see they are playing a show near to me (London). They were so I booked a ticket.

Did I book a show for other bands I heard that same day? From any other style? No I didn't.

You do have to want to try new things though and put yourself in the situation, whether that be listening in person or online, in the first place. If you want to be spoon fed music/genres from radio/TV you'll most likely be disappointed.

Yes there's a lot of 'noise' but If you're not finding what you're looking for you're not really actively searching, in my humble view. Always best to have open ears.

Yes the industry is dilated with choice but on the flip side it really has never been easier to come across new music, in any style and even maybe outside of the mainstream, to get into if you're willing.

You have to be willing to try new things though.

Whether you like it or not or choose to dig in deeper is another matter altogether.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people fight over other peoples taste-and especially diss it. I know I don't appreciate or get some music but I always assumed it's just me-not really the music (all I can say is I don't like it I don't know why-much the same for the music I do like) Everyone is different shouldn't we celebrate that? I've never seen a homogenous population there is always variety-clone a bacterium and it will change/evolve within so many generations. But I do think that lots of people can share those taste and often seek each other out-lots of studies demonstrate like seeks out like-it's just biological. I have no idea what drives my likes and dislikes-they've changed a bunch over time too. Like I use to hate mayo-literally made me nauseous. Now I glob it on sandwiches, fries, steak, eggs, everything is better with Hellmann's real Mayo ;) I just started liking yellow mustard too the last two years. Viva la difference LOL. So I figure one day I'll discover I like rap (which I could envision) and maybe even country (which I can't envision but mayo use to make me want to vomit too )LOL. When I post a video wearing a cowboy hat, rather than my beat up ole cap, you'll know I've moved to the dark side and love country music.

Art, even when you write simply there's just so much sense in what you say. I'm impressed how your posts combine the analytic approach of a scientist with the an almost philisophical and benign humanist approach, and all this in a simple and relatable way!

Olives, for me it's olives. Didn't like them at all, until one day: click! And more recently it's seafood.

Variety is the spice of life. Nothing should be exempt from criticism but you're right that is should be tempered by a realisation that diversity is important and no single person can ever absorb and comprehend everything that humanity has to offer.

And that's the part that really irks me. I find it so frustrating to be confronted with things, music or other, that are meant to provide an enriching human experience, only to find that I don't appreciate it! It's not about being embarrassed or feeling stupid. I just think it's a great shame that I'm possibly being deprived of something special because of my own limitations.

I would be sincerely thrilled to have another musical breakthough like the one I had with jazz so many years ago. I'd been sort of stagnating in my musical outlook and then suddenly there was this new horizon that opened up. It would be silly to say that it happened in an instant, like some Eureka moment. However, I do recall very vividly a particular listening experience that sent me on a new journey. It was the opening bars of the first song on an Art Bakey & The Jazz Messengers compilation. I'll never forget the impact of that ride cymbal sound (and the rest of the music as well).

Reading how Tony writes about hip-hop makes me think that perhaps again I'm missing out. After all, he likes Tony Willimas, I like Tony Williams...

I'm not being so naive as to suggest that our common appreciation of one musician should mean that we should have an equal appreciation of other musicians. Just saying that there are endless possibilities.

Maybe our rejection of certain things is in part born out of this frustration of not being able to incorporate everything.

Here's a couple of videos with quality Hip Hop that might appeal to you. Some of it is played by a band and lots of songs are rooted in Blues, Rock or Funk. I chose these videos because they're not exactly what people might think about when they hear Hip Hop at first.

Maybe start with this instrumental video by Will Sessions. I think that the grooves are really strong. Put it on in the background or grab your practice pad and play along. I hope that there will be some parts that you enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JftXMevlJwY
Here's some more instrumental Hip Hop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ppwnd8Up60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onJycDlJkxA

And here's some Rap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZOFExys_9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acUoJ-GP37g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDTgRIVQRWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8FlJjdBJY

Mike Stand, if you want to give hip hop a chance, check out NWAs Straight Outta Compton. It's a great album. Yes it's extremely vulgar. Yes it contains verbal imagery that the ordinary person doesn't experience in everyday life. But the entire package is brilliant. I know absolutely nothing about being a gangster, or a black man living in inner-city white America, but this album sure makes me feel like I could be.

Tupac's stuff is good too. Definitely worth checking out as well. Again, I can't relate to the situations he raps about, but his words definitely cross that threshold and allows anyone to be involved in the music.

If anything, the are at least worth a listen.

An Indian buddy of mine a lot younger than me, sent me a link through wassap to this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEJOC25hJOM. He knows I'm a crazy Nusrat fan (one of the greatest voices ever recorded imo) and a fan of traditional Indian/Pakistani music in general. So I sent him back a link with this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttQmxKHjOJM , thinking he might appreciate the meeting of two worlds like I did at the time ('96). His response was "Sorry this isnt my type. Born a little late to enjoy this I suppose" Crazy....

I don't think its just us old farts having trouble enjoying todays fads, but also the youngsters dismissing the jewels that came before.

Yes you should never dismissed what came before, building blocks.

Music is like food. You like what you were raised on. Like I'm not eating insects anytime soon. But others do. It's all OK. The world needs open minded people. But those that aren't...that's OK too. There absolutely has to be a balance.

Nothing can be all things to all people, especially music. If I don't care for a genre...I could just accept that fact, or I could try to pry open my brain and make myself like it, just to say that I can be open minded. But is that really being true to myself? Or is it just a ploy to get others to think I am open minded. IOW, what is my real motivation? Is it that I really want to pry my mind open? I think it's so others will have a favorable opinion of me, the wrong motivation IMO.

Here's a personal example: Jazz is way over my head and abilities. I am trying to pry my mind open when it comes to jazz. Now hip hop, I don't hate it, but I won't listen to it. It just doesn't speak to me in any way. There's nothing in hip hop that I care about TBH. I don't go for the machine drumming sound, I can't relate to that whole lifestyle. Jazz on the other hand...it does appeal to me. So I will make the effort with jazz because I fundamentally like it. I can't say that with hip hop, it doesn't matter why. It just is. And I'm fine with it. Certain things just aren't my thing.

I did this 'Appreciation' thing with Art, years ago. I was in a graphics degree program and started to immerse myself into all kinds of Art.

Some art just baffled the F out of me.

So I started to take Art Appreciation classes (30 years ago) with the express focus to find out why some art is considered masterful. I did learn the how and why. I was hoping it would rub off on me. That I too would find these defined masterpieces as brilliant

Despite opening myself up with an educational slant, it never transferred to a cultural thing for me. It really didn't move my meter for a better appreciation. I still don't get some of it.

It's not unthinkable that I might come to be more tolerant of certain art, but I would think my brain has pretty much been engrained what I do and do not like.

It's a very similar to my views on music.

It's not unthinkable that I might come to be more tolerant of certain art, but I would think my brain has pretty much been engrained what I do and do not like.

It's a very similar to my views on music.

That's it in a nutshell.

Does anyone here like it all?

Back