Why Is Yamaha Dropping DTX 900, 700 & 500 Series?

Brandtwi

I was thinking about buying a Yamaha DTX 920k but I'm having trouble finding one. Then I heard that Yamaha dropped the DTX 900, 700 & 500 series electric drums.
Does anybody know why Yamaha decided to drop them???

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Don’t know for sure but that series hasn’t been updated in years and has had solar sales from the get go. I thought they were superior to Roland in every way except maybe some of the drum samples. You could load your own, so kind of a non issue.

Yamaha for the most part sucks at marketing and Roland is fantastic at it. It’s like anything else with marketing and promotional content. Throw enough crap at the wall and some of it will stick. It rarely matters to people who’s right or wrong or has the best product or technology. It’s what they remember or are told that moves them to action.

sumdrumguy

I was thinking about buying a Yamaha DTX 920k but I'm having trouble finding one. Then I heard that Yamaha dropped the DTX 900, 700 & 500 series electric drums.
Does anybody know why Yamaha decided to drop them???

No question there were shortages of stock in the stores through the Spring and Summer. Production was halted for a number of months, and it may take a while for some items to appear in your local store.

Stores here have 500 and 700 series on the floor. Have you enquired about ordering a set through a Yamaha dealer?

charliedrummer

I was told that retail owners received a letter from Yamaha over the summer indicating that a new line would be coming out to replace the rather dated DTX kits. Only time will tell.

Brandtwi

No question there were shortages of stock in the stores through the Spring and Summer. Production was halted for a number of months, and it may take a while for some items to appear in your local store.

Stores here have 500 and 700 series on the floor. Have you enquired about ordering a set through a Yamaha dealer?
I thought about it, but I'm not sure I want to buy a product that's being cancelled. There could be problems getting parts or expanding or ....

someguy01

Yamaha for the most part sucks at marketing
When you make high quality shit all across your lines, you don't need to market. My R1 was the nastiest thing I've ever ridden, the G29 golf cars are built like tanks, the drums and hardware are built like tanks, and the Yamaha piano we used to have held it's tune better and longer than anything else I owned (never had the loot for a Steinway, so, yeah).

calan

Silver Member
I thought about it, but I'm not sure I want to buy a product that's being cancelled. There could be problems getting parts or expanding or ....
I wouldn’t worry about it. For one, there is only so much expanding you can do. I think I maxed out my 700 by adding a “crash” and “China”, and they all have midi ins and outs. And there are still going to be plenty of components floating around the market (new and used) for some time to come. Also, parts are still easy enough if you’re resourceful. I had to replace an input jack on a Yamaha snare pad, and I think I got the part from electronics internet wholesaler for like 5 dollars.

That being said, I’d still probably wait, because inevitably some people are going to buy the new sets to replace their older ones, and that’s when the deals can be had on the used stuff. The Yamaha DTX 500 and up are superb for running VSTs. My only complaint is the KP65 pad, but the newer larger pads introduced in the past year or two are quite good.

iCe

More then 10 years ago i was looking to get a DTXPRESS IV kit, but eventually let that idea go. Did play a DTXtreme III kit in a shop once and i still remember how natural that kit felt. Thinking of it, i haven't seen a Yamaha electronic kit on some sites for years now. Which i think is sad, because I've read nothing but good things about them