Why Is There Such An Anti-Jazz Vibe Here?

Drums101

The best drummers in the world in my opinoin are jazz drummers.I personally feel that it's hard to swing and the drummers that groove and swing the most are best.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
What'd I miss? Anything worth reading in this one?
Of course not, it's a jazz thread. Never any fireworks in a jazz thread! Everyone agrees that jazz is simultaneously both supreme & sucks in a DW display of love & understanding.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Of course not, it's a jazz thread. Never any fireworks in a jazz thread! Everyone agrees that jazz is simultaneously both supreme & sucks in a DW display of love & understanding.
I'm not sure whether your post ist partly a joke, but on a serious side anyway:

Whilst being a mixture of a rock/jazz/pop/funk-drummer (just to state it again), I'm actually wondering a bit why jazz, let's say isn't taken much seriously by many of the DW members.
I believe jazz is the foundation of almost all todays popular music, many of the styles are developed out of jazz among others.
Especially as drummers I think we ought to respect the style and the history of it, because we own much to it. The evolution and development of the modern drumset in terms of the instrument itself and also in terms of the art of playing it is directly related to the history of jazz. Styles and feels like rock'n'roll got rhythmically shaped by jazz drummers. Etc etc, I think you guys know what I mean.

So I perfectly understand that jazz as a musical style, like every other style, is totally subject to personal taste, BUT I do plead for a little (more) respect for it.

PS KIT I'm sorry for having used your post as a plug for mine!

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
As Jay pointed out, jazz may not have the far reaching arm of influence that it had on earlier forms of popular music. Where as you can hear the jazz influence in many of rocks pioneer drummers: Mitchell, Bonham, Palmer, Bruford, Garibaldi or even Peart and some even came from a jazz background: like Earl Palmer, Al Jackson, Jr or Ginger Baker. In today's world I don't know that such is the case. I don't think that jazz enjoys the status among today's musicians that it did back n the 1950s, 60s and 70s.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
So I perfectly understand that jazz as a musical style, like every other style, is totally subject to personal taste, BUT I do plead for a little (more) respect for it.
8 pages, 290 odd posts - which pretty much brings it in line with every other jazz thread I've read on these boards. I'd argue that level of discussion alone denotes plenty of respect for the genre. No other topics on this forum draw anywhere near that level of response from members. It may not be the 'commercial success' it once was, but given the amount of discussion, the genere is certainly well loved, well respected and will be around for a long while yet.

I saw no disrespect in KIS's obviously tongue in cheek reply to an obviously tongue in cheek question.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
It's a topic that brings up heated discussions through numerous pages, which doesn't automatically mean respect. Did you read the thread? Originally it wasn't about jazz anyway, but about the supposed snobbery around it.
deltadrummer said:
As Jay pointed out, jazz may not have the far reaching arm of influence that it had on earlier forms of popular music. Where as you can hear the jazz influence in many of rocks pioneer drummers: Mitchell, Bonham, Palmer, Bruford, Garibaldi or even Peart and some even came from a jazz background: like Earl Palmer, Al Jackson, Jr or Ginger Baker. In today's world I don't know that such is the case. I don't think that jazz enjoys the status among today's musicians that it did back n the 1950s, 60s and 70s.
Yes, but still today, you'll hear a jazz influence in most or all world-class drummers, or better said, it is clear in their playing that they have checked out jazz. And not so just drummers, but especially the whole harmonics, all the theory: As soon as you go beyond triads and I IV V, it's going to sound jazzy. Ok, that's a bit exaggerated, but I hope you get my drift. Great guitarists or keyboarders with skill to groove and improvisate have most definitely checked out some jazz.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure whether your post ist partly a joke,
Hi SM, sorry if my post equated to confusion of it's intent. I was being both flippant and highly sarcastic. Yes, it was 100% a joke, with a nod towards the often high tension discussions that evolve in jazz threads.

Personally, I love jazz, as I do most forms of music. I don't profess to understand non groove based jazz, but I appreciate anything that conveys passion & mood. I'm a simple rock drummer with an old school rock brain who has tried to widen his horizons as his years advance. I'll never be a jazz player, or even be able to effectively merge jazz influence into my playing. I don't have the mindset and certainly don't have the skillset. I want to use my remaining time on this planet playing stuff I can enjoy whilst still pushing myself a little. I certainly don't have the patience to stare at my ride cymbal for 10 years before I play a beat (stolen from another jazz post, by Aydee I think).

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Hi SM, sorry if my post equated to confusion of it's intent. I was being both flippant and highly sarcastic. Yes, it was 100% a joke, with a nod towards the often high tension discussions that evolve in jazz threads.

Personally, I love jazz, as I do most forms of music. I don't profess to understand non groove based jazz, but I appreciate anything that conveys passion & mood. I'm a simple rock drummer with an old school rock brain who has tried to widen his horizons as his years advance. I'll never be a jazz player, or even be able to effectively merge jazz influence into my playing. I don't have the mindset and certainly don't have the skillset. I want to use my remaining time on this planet playing stuff I can enjoy whilst still pushing myself a little. I certainly don't have the patience to stare at my ride cymbal for 10 years before I play a beat (stolen from another jazz post, by Aydee I think).
Perfectly fine :).
Btw, I don't have much interest in non-groove based jazz either.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Bloody jazz. It's all self-indulgent RUBBISH! Hopeless in every way. Absolutely detest it. If jazz musicians were food, they'd be MILK.

Disclaimer: the above does not include Weather Report, MO, Miles, RTF, Art Blakey's JMs, Buddy, Benny Goodman, Duke, Trane, Ella, Billie, Nina, Joni, Bird, Diana Krall, Bubeck, Ellington, Cecil Taylor, Sun Ra, Art Ensemble, Glenn Miller, Herbie, Papa Jo etc etc or the tractor playing Sweet Georgia Brown.