Why is my snare drum head appear wrinkled?

Do you play a lot of rim shots? If so, the constant hitting of the rim can allow the tension rods to loosen over time, causing wrinkling in this same exact area of the drum.

Another possibility is the head is broken and separating from the collar. This happened to me once.

Try tuning up the tension rods that surround the problem area and the wrinkles should go away; if they don't, the head is probably split at the collar.

Last edited:
Snare drums detune all the time, and even more so if you use a lot of rim when you play. That's what it looks like to me anyway. Just tune it back up and it should be fine.

Loosen all the lugs, get them all finger tight. Give them all a turn and a half using about a half turn at a time.

If that doesn't work.....

Remove the top and bottom heads and evaluate them for collar separation. Set the drum on a flat surface (glass/slate table) and make sure the batter side is level.

If you really struggle with a drumhead that has come off, you obviously have no clue about what a drumhead does on a drum. There are tons of drum tuning tutorials on YT to watch and get an idea first, how to start putting heads on a drum and then get it tuned correctly.

To just turn a few screws around the drum without having understood the matter can get frustrating very soon if your new drum only produces "boooing" anytime you hit it. Drum tuning isn't just about tensioning the heads somehow, but you have to do certain steps AND develope a hearing, so it may take a little time ;)

I have the drumtune pro app, I'll be utilizing it soon.

In case I need to get new drum heads, how do I find out what sizes I need for drum heads? I have the Tama Rockstar drum set.

If you really struggle with a drumhead that has come off, you obviously have no clue about what a drumhead does on a drum. There are tons of drum tuning tutorials on YT to watch and get an idea first, how to start putting heads on a drum and then get it tuned correctly.

To just turn a few screws around the drum without having understood the matter can get frustrating very soon if your new drum only produces "boooing" anytime you hit it. Drum tuning isn't just about tensioning the heads somehow, but you have to do certain steps AND develope a hearing, so it may take a little time ;)

In case I need to get new drum heads, how do I find out what sizes I need for drum heads?
Remove the hoop & head and measure the diameter of the shell and round off to the closest inch.

In case I need to get new drum heads, how do I find out what sizes I need for drum heads? I have the Tama Rockstar drum set.

Remove the hoop & head and measure the diameter of the shell and round off to the closest inch.

That's a good way to do it if you know which side of the shell to measure and whether to round up or down accordingly (ie. sometimes the diameter of the shell is not exactly the size of the drumhead).

An alternative is to take the old heads with you when buying new heads to get an exact match size wise. Another benefit of this is you can compare the sound of the new head to the old head to make sure that the new head is not defective or to determine if the old head is still worth playing.

Back