Why is it that all clear heads are not equally clear?

SAINTDRUMS

Just like the title says - why wouldn't all clear heads be equally clear? In example, I bought some Evans clear G2's for my batters and some Evans G1's for my resonants and noticed that the G2's were crystal clear while the G1's were noticeably hazier. The same thing applies for snare resonant heads, why would some be hazy and others like Ludwig or Attack/Bozzio heads be crystal clear? I realize that different companies use different film (such as mylar), but wouldn't the same company using the same film have the same clarity?

Stroman

Platinum Member
I realize that different companies use different film (such as mylar), but wouldn't the same company using the same film have the same clarity?
I believe the error is in your assumption that the same company uses only one kind of film. They don't. They use different ones to achieve different design goals.

Acidline303

I honestly dont know. I do notice Evans G1s are a bit more opaque to a G2s transparent. I would think 1 ply clears might get some kind of thin spray coating to give a little extra durability or weatherize the top. Or it's just a different density mylar.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
I honestly dont know. I do notice Evans G1s are a bit more opaque to a G2s transparent. I would think 1 ply clears might get some kind of thin spray coating to give a little extra durability or weatherize the top. Or it's just a different density mylar.

...and EVANS RESONANT GLASS are disturbingly window clear.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Not to sound disparaging, but I'm wondering why this matters, or is it just curiosity?

SAINTDRUMS

KIS, it's simply a matter of curiosity as I noticed the difference while changing out the heads on my main gig kit. In the big picture it doesn't matter at all really... However, to those with OCD, the aesthetic mismatch could drive them crazy! I wanted to see if someone knew the reason.