Why is “White Marine Pearl” so popular?

My wife says it's on fashion everything. Belts and purses I know I've seen. My aunt had a decorative ottoman in vinyl WMP top with clear sides and fake terrarium inside.

My current Pearl Session Studio Select shell pack is in white marine pearl. My snare of the same series is in natural birch, however. Its badge is featured above my name. I like my snares to have a finish different from that of my toms and bass.

This is the first kit I've ever owned in white marine pearl. I have a thing for white shell packs. All but one of my kits have been white. All but one of my kits have been made by Pearl as well. Is a theme starting to emerge?

Faux Pearloid used to be a very popular finish/veneer for surfaces. Everything from table-tops to toilet seats, hence the expression "mother of toilette seat" in the context of guitar fretboard inlays.

I forget when it changed from being Pearloid to "Vintage Pearl" though... Late 80's or early 90's IIRC. I stopped keeping track of these things when someone referred to my 76 Les Paul and Marshall JMP50 a "grandpa guitar".

I have a thing for white shell packs. All but one of my kits have been white. All but one of my kits have been made by Pearl as well. Is a theme starting to emerge?
Hmmm, all of my kits—all 3 to be exact—are black. And Gretsch. That puts the two of us at odds. And there ain't room for the two of us. So looks like we're fixin' for a showdown. High noon tomorrow!

Mad Dog Tanner's my name, and shootin' lily-livered white kit drummers is my game. Yee-haw!

6cf257ca8ee66fbaaefa5b958391e3e9-1.jpg

(Clearly I've been watching too much Back to the Future lately)

Hmmm, all of my kits—all 3 to be exact—are black. And Gretsch. That puts the two of us at odds. And there ain't room for the two of us. So looks like we're fixin' for a showdown. High noon tomorrow!

Mad Dog Tanner's my name, and shootin' lily-livered white kit drummers is my game. Yee-haw!

View attachment 94089

Love it. My passion for white shell packs extends to Westerns as well. If a showdown is afoot, I guess I'll try to avert it by calling upon a classic line from The Outlaw Josey Wales: "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

Note to the absurdly sensitive: The preceding exchange contains no material threats. It's just a way for two guys who like Westerns to pay homage to the genre. Please lighten up, confused and troubled world.

Love it. My passion for white shell packs extends to Westerns as well. If a showdown is afoot, I guess I'll try to avert it by calling upon a classic line from The Outlaw Josey Wales: "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

Note to the absurdly sensitive: The preceding exchange contains no material threats. It's just a way for two guys who like Westerns to pay homage to the genre. Please lighten up, confused and troubled world.
Well said. I also just finished watching Hamilton on Disney+, so I suppose a duel of sorts was firmly implanted in my gray matter. But a western-themed duel seemed to fit the white hat/black hat (white drums/black drums) motif.

That said, see you at high noon, you lily-livered tea-toting white drums drummer!

View attachment 94089

High probability that he grips on that gun are.

High probability that he grips on that gun are.
You lookin' for a showdown or a hoedown? 'Cause clearly that handle ain't no lily-livered white. Wouldn't be caught dead with no white handled revolver... or any of them sissy white drums!!!

BTTF3_138.jpg

It's interesting how may variations and versions of WMP have been produced over the years for different drum companies like Gretsch and Ludwig.

I wonder if Bermuda has a WMP kit?

Last edited:
All kidding aside, for me WMP is one of those weird finishes in that it usually doesn't do much for me—until it does. Nine times out of ten, when I see a WMP kit I'm like 'meh'. But that 10th time, it's more like 'whoa!' I'm not sure why that is.

For example, to me this looks fantastic.
WMP1.jpg

But this (and most other WMP kits) to me looks very 'meh'.
P1120260.JPG

Last edited:
So in drum finishes (not nature, I already found this answer) what's the difference between WMP and Abalone? Just the name, or is it more?

I first learned this term from this Pearl catalogue:

page2.jpg

DW also does Abalone finishes. Is one more appealing than the other? Looks like WMP and BMP to me.

Back