Why I dislike certain drum owners

I don't ever recall thinking about resale value much.. I modded a tom mount on an old Rogers (big R era) Kick with a Pearl mount once.. because A) they weren't vintage and B) the original hardware sucked.. spindly metal that fell apart and hard to adjust and C) original replacement parts not available. The Pearl memory lock quick release mount actually added value if anything.. when I sold them no one complained :)

I do find the virgin kick thing a bit perplexing.. sometimes when setting up, I wish for just a simple mount on top of my current virgin kick - but I locked my power tools in a vault and threw away the key!

I’ll hold off on posting my plans to drill multiple holes in my bass drum for the purpose of installing Roman candles.
That would be a mistake. Roman candles are rated for floor toms. Mortar shells/tubes are rated for bass drums. Sparklers are for tambourines, cowbells, and jamblocks; firecrackers are obviously rated for snare drums. Bottle rockets typically for cymbals. Toms are rated for various ground based, low-level visuals.

I modded my Guru's. I just don't give a crap. They aren't a sacred cow, they are drums that I hit. I modded them because they were more useful to me with a tom tree. Zero regrets, and I'd do it again.

I'm in control of my stuff, not the reverse. It's one of the only things in life that I have absolute power over...my stuff...and I'm using that power any way I please, because I'm the dictator here. I do what makes me happy

I really like my DW's...absolutely stunning drums...but that tom tree thing is just so re-diculously heavy. It doesn't even go up that high. 12mm posts are in the diminishing returns zone. It would be nice if they made a lighter tom tree

I really like my DW's...absolutely stunning drums...but that tom tree thing is just so re-diculously heavy. It doesn't even go up that high. 12mm posts are in the diminishing returns zone. It would be nice if they made a lighter tom tree

I'm trying to locate a used Mapex Saturn IV mount assembly (THBM2218A). I plan on modifying it (along w/ changing ball L-arms) and 4 of my bass drum lugs to fit my DW Collectors kit. I looked at the previous versions of it, but I want this one. Once I find a used one, I'll do a video of the success/failure of the conversion.

1622587660117.png

I'm trying to locate a used Mapex Saturn IV mount assembly (THBM2218A). I plan on modifying it (along w/ changing ball L-arms) and 4 of my bass drum lugs to fit my DW Collectors kit. I looked at the previous versions of it, but I want this one. Once I find a used one, I'll do a video of the success/failure of the conversion.

View attachment 104953
I used this same exact mapex mount on 2 of my Guru bass drums. I have nothing bad to say about it. It did what I needed it to do, and I'd do it all over again. The lug hole spacing thankfully was the same as the Guru lugs.

I did have to mod the tom tree. This mount is sized for a 22 x 18 drum, and I had a 22 x 16. (plus a 20 x 12). I had to take it to my local welder to remove a portion of the 2 round rods it slides on. Worked like a charm.

The weld is visible. No one has ever said boo about it. It's in the shadows.

I like virgin kicks (I have a DW Performance kick that isn't drilled) but I tell you what. The very simple rack mount on my DW FF is a game changer for me at gigs. It's as light as a snare stand. With the DW memory locks it's just a simple insert into kick and done. No adjustments necessary. I LOVE the DW memory locks on all of their equipment, too. Kick spurs, tom legs, rack mount. The are shaped to fit snugly and the same way every time. Simplicity at it's best. I've used many other brands for gigs, but I am finding DW system to be easiest and quickest. On other end of spectrum - INDe. Terribly complicated setting up kick spurs (which I could never get to really work right anyway), tom legs, and memory locks. Something like 3 bolts requiring drum key plus a wing nut per tom leg and per spur. Unlike DW, using an INDe kit required additional time to set up and tear down at gigs. So much time and effort that it became impracticable to use my INDe kit, so I sold it after a short time. I did rather like the shells and sound and finish, but hated the hardware. Not designed for a gigging player. As it pertains to this thread - I thought about replacing the INDe hardware but that would have destroyed the kit. So I sold it. Mods to the INDe kit IMHO were not an option. I have used INDe snare strainers to replace old worn-out vintage strainers on gigging snares that are not show pieces. I chose the INDe strainers because they fit exact holes in old snares and required no drilling. I would not ever mod a vintage snare and drill new holes, even if it's a player condition going in and outta gigs.Tom+Bracket+3b.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I work on my own stuff. No, I don't put a dollar value on my spare time. Its spare time.
That's the caveat. If I don't factor in my time, which does have value regardless of the type of time, I've made a lot of money on everything I've ever sold. Time spent making repairs or the like is time not spent playing drums, camping, spending time with family etc. therefore, it has a value that needs to be factored in to the overall equation.
If your time has no value to you whatsoever, bully for you, but I have many things to do with my time besides fix stuff and watch TV so I assign it a value.

Generally intolerance and bigotry associates with low IQ and low education. So hopefully drummers don't really dislike other drum owners-sounds like guppies eating their own ROFL.

Resale value is a huge factor in my purchasing/altering decisions. Has nothing to do with gear snobbery. I'll always buy used when I can to take advantage of any depreciation. I then maintain what I bought because, A. I like my stuff to be nice. B. I've learned no matter how much you plan on dying with something, you just may have to turn it for some cash at some point. I've never had a massive or endless budget to buy things, so every penny has counted. For a drum example, when I bought my PDPs, They were in great shape and I kept them that way. They were no heirlooms and never will be, but recouping what I spent on them helped me get into the next set.

Depreciation on cars is the same. Never sold one and broke even, but I've far from lost my shorts on any transaction. Sadly, most fun cars end up being worth close to zero in a few years, so I've had to opt for vanilla I've always been meticulous about my stuff, but when I was out of employment with prospects becoming more hopeless by the day all those things I bought right and cared for meticulously kept me and the wife afloat for months. Onkyo Integra stereo system => bought used, recouped every penny a decade later. Premier drums and Zildjian cymbals and all DW hardware => recouped every penny. I could go on but you get the idea. Resale value is what kept us afloat for months.

I've always limited my "wanter" and don't buy with the intent to sell. However, life throws curveballs and you can't get too attached to things. If you find yourself out of options, being able to recoupe close to your original expenditure can be the difference between surviving and dying on the vine. In today's economy where things can go bad at any time (insert 2020 here) and you may find yourself in need, resale should always be a consideration. If on the other hand gear or equipment is used for ones livelihood then that takes precedence. If a tom tree makes you more efficient, then drill baby drill. Heck drill three tom trees, who cares and why in the world would you opt for the back breaking 10x the weight, restricted movement option when you have a versatile light weight option. The DW sliding tom mount was as obnoxious as ever produced weight wise. I'm glad they aren't shipping those like they used to.

You hit it right on the head with how DW owners always talk about resale and not proud, forever ownership.
I've never understood that.

I kinda look at drums as I do motorcycles. I wouldn't modify a restored or original vintage bike or a drum set. I'm looking @ getting a new Indian. The factory doesn't do the paint scheme I want, nor do they have factory options/accessories I want (or have them at a reasonable price). I'll keep it stock for a season or two and then customize it over winter at some point and there will be after-market parts on it. New drums, I was able to order exactly what I wanted. Had I not been able to, I was going to modify my DWs to suit what I wanted.

I take care of my bikes and drum gear. I use them for what they're built for. When I want to make a change and sell what I currently own, I hope I get the most I can, but I don't allow that future event to affect how I enjoy and use them now.

Didn't Dave Grohl do a special order on one of his kits: Classics w/ Collectors badges and a Gretsch tom mount installed?

Back