Why I dislike certain drum owners

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
Bird and Magic.

ah ha...basketball is a sport I know nothign about...but I can see where those cards were "solid" for resale! I mainly do hockey/football/baseball

BrokenStick

ah ha...basketball is a sport I know nothign about...but I can see where those cards were "solid" for resale! I mainly do hockey/football/baseball
I was into hoops in the '80s and into the early '90s. Before that cardswise, nothing really. Oh, I have a couple of shoeboxes full of cards from the early to mid '70s in baseball. Never did collect football or hockey.

Ransan

Not sure what the big deal is. We’re talking about mass produced drums here. It’s not like painting your Stratavarius.
I’m sure OP would find a way to convert a Strad 14” viola to a modded 4/4 violin.
😶

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Another sweeping and incorrect statement/generalisation

I’m keeping my DW’s as forever instruments thanks.

Christ, this place is tedious sometimes.
I disagree that it's "incorrect".
Any time spent on here discussing DW will show most (not all) DW owners seem to buy based on a future sale, not current ownership.
I see it over and over on here.

opentune

Platinum Member
Any time spent on here discussing DW will show most (not all) DW owners seem to buy based on a future sale, not current ownership.
Perspectives are strange. I've been on here 10 years and have not seen any of that.
What I've seen consistently are people taking a poke at DW, its owner, etc. and most DW drum owners on here having to act defensively.
Its bizarre, they are just drums.

Juniper

Gold Member

Your words were incorrect though, you said

You hit it right on the head with how DW owners always talk about resale and not proud, forever ownership.
I've never understood that.

I’ve never talked about resale value, other DW owners on this thread have pointed out they are their forever instruments. “Always talk” about it.

Nope

The “Not All” you’ve since added is correct.

Might seem pernickety or trivial but try being a DW owner on here and have to wade through some of the nonsense people post about DW and DW drummers sometimes.

It’s absolutely bizarre.

Ryan Culberson

Regular Poster

Funny part is, OP owned a really nice set of DW drums and recently sold ‘em (resale, anyone?) He now talks shit about DW in nearly every thread that comes up about them, yet just bought a different DW set. Struggling to figure that logic out, since the crux of this whole discussion is singling out and dissing DW owners for only thinking about resale.

The original post was about him catching flak for modding the new DW drum set and then sweeping DW owners into a laughably generalized box, based on a reaction from some random dude on a fanboy FB page. Other members here, sensing a fresh kill I guess, jumped on that opportunity to shit on DW owners. Just because a few here can’t wrap their heads around the concept, thinking about resale when purchasing an item (any item) is perfectly valid. People do it with cars, tools, houses, blah blah blah...

OP also recently bought a older, desirable Yamaha drum set, couldn’t make the snare drum do what he wanted, and modded it. I contend that if he posted about that mod job on the Yamaha fanboy FB page, he would encounter the same sorts of responses he got on the DW fanboy page. Rinse and repeat for every other brand.

I was gonna conclude with something about not caring either way, but I guess if I took the time to write this, I do care. I’m all for talking some shit, I’d just prefer it to be equitable. Put a Pearl mount on a Gretsch set and the Gretsch freaks will lose their minds. Put a Yamaha mount on a Craviotto and the Craviotto freaks will lose their minds.

It’s no different than hotrodding a ‘66 Mustang. There will always be “original only” freaks who will faithfully and repeatedly lose their minds every time someone mods any original piece. Everyone here knows this... why have the nerve to act surprised?

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member

That's nonsense, with no evidence. Just your overlaying your perspective on the small very teeny tiny group of DW owners who might happen to be on this forum. In debate circles that's called a Straw Man.

moxman

Silver Member
One of the few mods I've made over the years was on an old Rogers snare - the original throw off fell to pieces and parts were not available. I didn't want to drill holes in the COB shell so I made a plate that screwed into the original holes and also had holes to attach a Pearl throw off.. worked perfectly! I wonder what vintage gear heads would say about that..Lol. No damage down, functional and still restorable (if you can find the part!)

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Staff member
Before getting into this "but yes!" - "but no!" loop here's a poll which might shed some light onto the various perspectives.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Funny part is, OP owned a really nice set of DW drums and recently sold ‘em (resale, anyone?) He now talks shit about DW in nearly every thread that comes up about them, yet just bought a different DW set. Struggling to figure that logic out, since the crux of this whole discussion is singling out and dissing DW owners for only thinking about resale.

The original post was about him catching flak for modding the new DW drum set and then sweeping DW owners into a laughably generalized box, based on a reaction from some random dude on a fanboy FB page. Other members here, sensing a fresh kill I guess, jumped on that opportunity to shit on DW owners. Just because a few here can’t wrap their heads around the concept, thinking about resale when purchasing an item (any item) is perfectly valid. People do it with cars, tools, houses, blah blah blah...

OP also recently bought a older, desirable Yamaha drum set, couldn’t make the snare drum do what he wanted, and modded it. I contend that if he posted about that mod job on the Yamaha fanboy FB page, he would encounter the same sorts of responses he got on the DW fanboy page. Rinse and repeat for every other brand.
I was gonna conclude with something about not caring either way, but I guess if I took the time to write this, I do care. I’m all for talking some shit, I’d just prefer it to be equitable. Put a Pearl mount on a Gretsch set and the Gretsch freaks will lose their minds. Put a Yamaha mount on a Craviotto and the Craviotto freaks will lose their minds.

It’s no different than hotrodding a ‘66 Mustang. There will always be “original only” freaks who will faithfully and repeatedly lose their minds every time someone mods any original piece. Everyone here knows this... why have the nerve to act surprised?

Thanks for pointing out the hypocrisy, Ryan.

What's with the sweeping generalizations that DW owners are so concerned about resale value, and much more so than other brand owners. That Canopus owner or high-end Sonor owner or signed by Johnny Craviotto owner or N&C owner isn't concerned about resale? Really?

I'm not against mods of run-of-the-mill drums that can be easily replaced and lose 50% of their value the minute they come in your house. But mod a vintage Gretsch Dixie snare? No way.

Last edited:

Ryan Culberson

Regular Poster
To be fair, I’m all for any mods to any drums. OP gigs a lot... makes perfect sense to make his drums as comfortable as possible for him. Totally cool with that. I logged 15 gigs in May alone so I really do understand the need to play gear that allows us to do our jobs more comfortably/effectively.

The modding isn’t the issue for me. The issue is this weird beef against DW owners, and the vultures circling, ready to dive in when the mere scent of a DW bash session is in the air.

TK-421

This. I'm sure if the finger-waggers pledged to set up the OP's kit for him at every gig, he'd be happy to preserve the purity of his instrument.
I can't speak for everyone, but for me the issue wasn't whether or not the OP modded his drums. I honestly don't care either way.

My issue was actually fourfold: 1) That he had an issue with someone for simply pointing out a valid reason against making a 3rd-party mod (since it can negatively affect resale value); 2) That he publicly flamed the guy on this worldwide forum without even redacting his name; 3) his over-generalization of DW owners, especially since his complaint is based on something most of us have never encountered; and 4) his blatant hypocrisy, complaining about those who sell off their gear rather than “keeping what they’re so proud to own”—this coming from someone who goes through kits faster than most people go through a tube of toothpaste.

Last edited: