Why I dislike certain drum owners

madjack956

I'll respect your opinion even though you didn't respect mine. And adding "all due respect" doesn't make it so. Real estate is something that this is understood. How is the housing market? OK, but drums, I'll stand by my stupid statement.
So now you were talking specifically about drums. Ok. Because you said buy 'something". I never mentioned real estate, so I don't know how that figures into this discussion.

And, I was giving you "all due respect" trust me.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Well....that's not exactly what I was saying. I'm not a collector or into vintage stuff.
But if I found something I really wanted, top-end or vintage, or whatever, and felt that I needed to modify to suit me, I would do it.
If at some point I sold it and had to take a loss on it, I would accept that.

I would also expect to take some flack about it, if it was a rare vintage set. Some mods can't be undone.
Extremely unlikely that I would ever get a set like that.
But if I did, and modified it in a way that can't be undone, I probably wouldn't make a post about it. :p
I meant the over reaction. Sorry I wasn't clear. The rest of comments are my opinion.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
I bought a Gretsch kit with a virgin kick, and I am kicking myself (pun intended) for not having drilled it and put some kind of mount there. I've never been a fan of isolation mounts, and somehow I allowed myself to be talked into keeping this kit undrilled as far as mounting hardware goes.
It's your set, drill it if you really want to, just don't $ell ll it..

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
I bought a custom shop tele cheap from a guy who installed a Bigsby then removed it , he decided to sell it for whatever reason. I filled the holes covered them with pin striping and then discovered it's a Dirty little Monster.. I don't plan on selling it soon it's Killer , sometimes the best instruments have Scars..

Last edited:

BrokenStick

I have never bought a piece of musical gear with the idea that I am going to sell it or get rid of it

I think that comes from growing up poor. We were always taught that when you get something, you use it until it is unusable...then you duct tape it. Especially if it is something considered "upper end".

With this in mind, I research the hell out of a product before I lay out money for it...with drums and everything else mostly.

The only activity that I "buy for possible increased sell bac kvalue" is sports cards...and I don't really even do that that much. I collect cards to becasue of memories of the game, and players. I pretty much hoard cards honestly. I have many, many valuble cards, but do not plan on getting rid of them yet.
Too funny. I sold off some sports cards to finance my latest and final set purchase.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I thought we agreed we dislike all drum owners-not just certain ones?
I loathe most of you (wink, wink)-in my best Grinch voice.
Just because you all play drums so it's nothing personal. Most of you are affable enough-but still you play drums.
But most of you have lots of opinions-more of that than I've seen playing drums actually the more I think about it.
Which I hate opinionated people so another reason to loathe drummers.
Which that's just my opinions as I sit self-loathing from empathy. Damn drummers are bane of society.

moxman

Silver Member
I don't ever recall thinking about resale value much.. I modded a tom mount on an old Rogers (big R era) Kick with a Pearl mount once.. because A) they weren't vintage and B) the original hardware sucked.. spindly metal that fell apart and hard to adjust and C) original replacement parts not available. The Pearl memory lock quick release mount actually added value if anything.. when I sold them no one complained :)

I do find the virgin kick thing a bit perplexing.. sometimes when setting up, I wish for just a simple mount on top of my current virgin kick - but I locked my power tools in a vault and threw away the key!

Lee-Bro

I’ll hold off on posting my plans to drill multiple holes in my bass drum for the purpose of installing Roman candles.
That would be a mistake. Roman candles are rated for floor toms. Mortar shells/tubes are rated for bass drums. Sparklers are for tambourines, cowbells, and jamblocks; firecrackers are obviously rated for snare drums. Bottle rockets typically for cymbals. Toms are rated for various ground based, low-level visuals.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I modded my Guru's. I just don't give a crap. They aren't a sacred cow, they are drums that I hit. I modded them because they were more useful to me with a tom tree. Zero regrets, and I'd do it again.

I'm in control of my stuff, not the reverse. It's one of the only things in life that I have absolute power over...my stuff...and I'm using that power any way I please, because I'm the dictator here. I do what makes me happy

I really like my DW's...absolutely stunning drums...but that tom tree thing is just so re-diculously heavy. It doesn't even go up that high. 12mm posts are in the diminishing returns zone. It would be nice if they made a lighter tom tree

Lee-Bro

I really like my DW's...absolutely stunning drums...but that tom tree thing is just so re-diculously heavy. It doesn't even go up that high. 12mm posts are in the diminishing returns zone. It would be nice if they made a lighter tom tree

I'm trying to locate a used Mapex Saturn IV mount assembly (THBM2218A). I plan on modifying it (along w/ changing ball L-arms) and 4 of my bass drum lugs to fit my DW Collectors kit. I looked at the previous versions of it, but I want this one. Once I find a used one, I'll do a video of the success/failure of the conversion.

1622587660117.png

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm trying to locate a used Mapex Saturn IV mount assembly (THBM2218A). I plan on modifying it (along w/ changing ball L-arms) and 4 of my bass drum lugs to fit my DW Collectors kit. I looked at the previous versions of it, but I want this one. Once I find a used one, I'll do a video of the success/failure of the conversion.

View attachment 104953
I used this same exact mapex mount on 2 of my Guru bass drums. I have nothing bad to say about it. It did what I needed it to do, and I'd do it all over again. The lug hole spacing thankfully was the same as the Guru lugs.

I did have to mod the tom tree. This mount is sized for a 22 x 18 drum, and I had a 22 x 16. (plus a 20 x 12). I had to take it to my local welder to remove a portion of the 2 round rods it slides on. Worked like a charm.

The weld is visible. No one has ever said boo about it. It's in the shadows.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I like virgin kicks (I have a DW Performance kick that isn't drilled) but I tell you what. The very simple rack mount on my DW FF is a game changer for me at gigs. It's as light as a snare stand. With the DW memory locks it's just a simple insert into kick and done. No adjustments necessary. I LOVE the DW memory locks on all of their equipment, too. Kick spurs, tom legs, rack mount. The are shaped to fit snugly and the same way every time. Simplicity at it's best. I've used many other brands for gigs, but I am finding DW system to be easiest and quickest. On other end of spectrum - INDe. Terribly complicated setting up kick spurs (which I could never get to really work right anyway), tom legs, and memory locks. Something like 3 bolts requiring drum key plus a wing nut per tom leg and per spur. Unlike DW, using an INDe kit required additional time to set up and tear down at gigs. So much time and effort that it became impracticable to use my INDe kit, so I sold it after a short time. I did rather like the shells and sound and finish, but hated the hardware. Not designed for a gigging player. As it pertains to this thread - I thought about replacing the INDe hardware but that would have destroyed the kit. So I sold it. Mods to the INDe kit IMHO were not an option. I have used INDe snare strainers to replace old worn-out vintage strainers on gigging snares that are not show pieces. I chose the INDe strainers because they fit exact holes in old snares and required no drilling. I would not ever mod a vintage snare and drill new holes, even if it's a player condition going in and outta gigs.Tom+Bracket+3b.jpg

Last edited:

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Thing is if your drums aren't the way you'd like them, you bought the wrong drums..
Not exclusively.

A kit can be a dream kit, but maybe it has hanging floors, or not. Or a bracket, or not, etc.

Then you can always decide to mod it.

That said. The DW bracket is made too heavy.

I prefer the PDP model.

Also.

I think most drums are bought for a profit, or at least with the idea in the back of the mind that they will sell one day.

This is especially true with the younger generation, and from the flippers perspective.

No anger whatsoever. I've never given them a dime. I was just trying to justify DW owner's concerns over resale value.
That said, I'm also not much of a fan of bullshit and double standards.
And here you are. Giving them a dime with previously mentioned some bullshit. 😂

Last edited: