Why doesn't anyone make quieter drums?

It's extra special when a singer becomes a "percussionist." We have one that looks like she is keying at a computer keyboard when playing her bongos.

Technique - what a concept.

I would send her an anonymous email with links to bongo instructional YouTube videos. There's no reason her lame drumming can't improve.

Long time since I've seen this thread. As far as playing quieter, I'm still doing what I've always done. I use brushes and a fluffy bass drum beater. I would be interested in trying a combo of the Remo Silent Stroke heads with the Zildjian low volume cymbals. I would be afraid that if the volume came up I would t be able to keep up.

Thanks for the update Doug.
I've tried playing with unamplifed acoustic guitar players and fiddle players when I was younger, it was a real struggle!

I don't get the oversimplification of the "just play quieter" approach. Playing quieter is playing softer. Playing softer does not produce the same sound as playing harder. It's not even the same type of sound.

The sound produced by a full stroke on well tuned toms is absolutely delicious. In my humble opinion, those are the strokes that make dynamic playing such a pleasure to listen to.

That's why it's not as easy as one would think.

You Can get great tone at lower volume.

It takes quite a bit of work to get comfortable and produce good tone at low volume. But it can be done.

I use a small kit for quiet gigs - 18" bass, 10 & 13 toms, with double ply heads (emperors) tuned low, and thin cymbals. I play normally with 7A sticks and it sounds like a bigger kit but not as loud. If really necessary I can play with brushes or rods. Sometimes I'll put O rings on to deepen the sound more, while making it even softer.

Back