Why do you play Zildjian?

Hello fellow drummers! I would like to have a conversation with people who play with Zildjian cymbals, and ask why do you guys like them?
I love Zildjian because of their wild selection of cymbals you can choose from in the pursuit of your sound.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

my dad started playing Zildjians in the 50's, and we were not allowed to speak of any other cymbal company growing up ;)

So I inherited his, and started my own collection in 79 with my Rock Ride. Honestly, I don't think you can beat the consistent sound, the make, the look...we use them exclusively at my school as well, so I have access to tons of orchestral, efx, gongs...when I hear a cymbal sound in my head, I know exactly which Zildjian to get, and how to use it.

I do like some other cymbal sounds, and even considered getting a few Meinls...but in the end, I am an admitted hardcore fan boy.

Classic sounds and versatility in the form of products like New Beat hi-hats. Great diversity and selection of lines, along with, high quality and continued innovation decade in and decade out that meet the needs of music's ever-changing landscape. But, that's just my two cents worth...go and find out what works best for you!

my dad started playing Zildjians in the 50's, and we were not allowed to speak of any other cymbal company growing up ;)

So I inherited his, and started my own collection in 79 with my Rock Ride. Honestly, I don't think you can beat the consistent sound, the make, the look...we use them exclusively at my school as well, so I have access to tons of orchestral, efx, gongs...when I hear a cymbal sound in my head, I know exactly which Zildjian to get, and how to use it.

I do like some other cymbal sounds, and even considered getting a few Meinls...but in the end, I am an admitted hardcore fan boy.
I love your story! For me, I wanted to branch out to other companies at first, tried Meinl & Sabian. But I always came back to Zildjian! :D

Reactions: Ang

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I love your story! For me, I wanted to branch out to other companies at first, tried Meinl & Sabian. But I always came back to Zildjian! :D
yeah...I was slightly interested in Paiste Rudes back in the mid 80's being a metalhead, but could not get Zildjian's out of my mind (and anything else in the house). I go into the drum shop, and look at a lot of the cymbals on the wall, but man, I am just drawn right past them all to the Z's!! I am currently lusting after a K Custom Dark 20" Ride....the bell sound is from heaven...literally, it is the cymbal that God has on his drum set

yeah...I was slightly interested in Paiste Rudes back in the mid 80's being a metalhead, but could not get Zildjian's out of my mind (and anything else in the house). I go into the drum shop, and look at a lot of the cymbals on the wall, but man, I am just drawn right past them all to the Z's!! I am currently lusting after a K Custom Dark 20" Ride....the bell sound is from heaven...literally, it is the cymbal that God has on his drum set
Yes, that and its sister the 22" Ride are Heaven!!

mikyok

Platinum Member
I used Paiste for years as I found them the most consistent and until the Zildjian redesign a few years back Zildjians felt a bit clunky in the 90s and 00s.

They seem to be thinner now and way more expressive like some of the older models.

I'm at home with As and Ks.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I like them because it was the sound I grew up with. When I started playing, there were only two "good" cymbals available - Zildjian and Paiste. There were no Paistes to be found in my podunk area, so all my cymbals were Zildjians. They were simply the gold standard.

I suppose it's a kind of imprinting. "This is what a cymbal sounds like."

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I used Paiste for years as I found them the most consistent and until the Zildjian redesign a few years back Zildjians felt a bit clunky in the 90s and 00s.

They seem to be thinner now and way more expressive like some of the older models.

I'm at home with As and Ks.
I do feel like the early 90's Zildjian A's had a clunky-ness to them, now that I think about it. I have a 16" rock crash, and a 18" med thin crash from that era, and they are less "vesatile" to me than my newer ones....and the rock crash was really purchased to be my "punk bashing cymbal" anyways, so it totally serves it's purpose. I think the clunkiness was more of a feel thing than a sound thing I guess.

Just watched the latest Anika Nilles video, and things like that make me really appreciate what Meinl is doing though....

bearblastbeats

I started out as a Zildjian guy in my early teens, and have since played a variety of them from the A's to the K's. It was all that was primarily available from our local guy here and he would give me good deals on them. I bought mostly used big cymbals for playing in hardcore and metal bands.

Once drummer started showcases more and more on YouTube, i started to see that there was more cymbals than just Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, etc. I was really into my sound in my mid-20's and wanted to move away from metal and loud music in general. I found the Meinl had some really nice textures and characteristics I never heard before. this was about the time DCP was getting going, so I took all of my Zildjians to them and switched out to Meinl.

Come to this time last year, I started to fall out of love with Meinl and have been on the search for new sounds and the like. After some research (Binging YouTube) I began to fall back in love with Zildjian for the Special Dry Cymbals.

I must have played and owned nearly 100 cymbals in the last 20 years, but I find myself now playing a set of Zildjian Special Dry Crashes that sound great with My Istanbul Sigs. They're almost like cousins.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Well, I just got some A Customs. A lot of them actually. It's probaby equal parts:

- most of my heroes used them.
- Vinnie was involved
- they're pretty versatile.

As it is, I haven't really been comfortable putting aside money for more cymbals, though I've tried a lot of different things.

I still find Zildjian cymbals the most pleasing for me, but I wouldn't mind using something else if I was going for a completely different sound on certain occasions. I haven't caught on the the big, deep and dirty cymbal things yet, I guess, and I guess it's soon to late. 😄

mikyok

Platinum Member
I do feel like the early 90's Zildjian A's had a clunky-ness to them, now that I think about it. I have a 16" rock crash, and a 18" med thin crash from that era, and they are less "vesatile" to me than my newer ones....and the rock crash was really purchased to be my "punk bashing cymbal" anyways, so it totally serves it's purpose. I think the clunkiness was more of a feel thing than a sound thing I guess.

Just watched the latest Anika Nilles video, and things like that make me really appreciate what Meinl is doing though....
I've dabbled with Meinl down the years, got a Byzance Dry Ride that's one of my favourites and they used to make a line called Amun which was one of my favourites, the 14" soundedges were so nice for recording. Like 2002s but better.

I have got a couple of Zildjian rocks, a 20" ride from the 00s that is too heavy for me and a 15" top hat which lives with a Paiste 602 soundedge bottom that are suprisingly versatile.

I started out with Zildjian. They're made in my neck of the woods. When I got older I tried other brands, and still went back to Zildjian. I've always been satisfied with Zildjian cymbal sounds. I love my K's and K customs.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
It was probably 99% product placement for me. Every drummer that came to my house and played with my brother's bands when I was a kid played Zildjian. In addition, the only cymbals available in our town was either Zildjian or Paiste when I was growing up up, and I liked them better than the Paiste cymbals that were available at the time.

Also, I remember the drummers who influenced me during the 1990s because they were the videos I saw at the time in addition to lots of Modern Drummer pics. I just remember just about every drummer on MuchMusic, MTV, and some VH1 during the 1990s used Zildjians, so I know that influenced me a lot. I wish I could sit here and say, "I had a deep appreciation for Zildjian's variety of sonic pallets from the beginning, so I decided to buy and stay with them," but I can't. It was just about all product placement with me. I own some A Customs now, but they are at my practice space. I gig with my Turkish-made Heartbeats now.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I was brought up emulating the masters and back then they either played Zildjians or Paistes (nobody else existed yet). Paiste wasn’t well-represented at the stores I went to as a kid but you could find ALOT of Zildjians new and used on the market. They had (and still have) the sounds I need(ed) so that’s where I’ve stayed.
It’s funny that I’ve tried and owned about every drum brand so far though 😉

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I have 1 Zildjian. It's a Turkish K I got in a garage sale find. Only Zildjian I've ever owned. I have no cymbal loyalty. If it sounds good, I'll play it, regardless of manufacturer.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I've dabbled with Meinl down the years, got a Byzance Dry Ride that's one of my favourites and they used to make a line called Amun which was one of my favourites, the 14" soundedges were so nice for recording. Like 2002s but better.

I have got a couple of Zildjian rocks, a 20" ride from the 00s that is too heavy for me and a 15" top hat which lives with a Paiste 602 soundedge bottom that are suprisingly versatile.
I really like what Meinl is doing with the "stack" cymbals...that is where I would probably sneak one into the set up...

yammyfan

I got into Zildjian initially because they're great cymbals and less costly than Paiste, at least in my neck of the woods. I've got a nice collection of K's and A Customs to choose from as well as a Ping Ride and New Beat Hi-Hats.

I've begun assembling a collection of Paiste 2002s for their obvious qualities. They're quite different from my Zildjian Ks but equally pleasing to play. Between the two brands, I've got my bases covered.