Why Do Women Dislike Dream Theater and Snarky Puppy

Recently, John Petrucci (Dream Theater guitarist) was asked this question by a Metal Hammer reader:

Given the low ratio of women to men (est. 4:96) at your shows, have you considered using the lack of any line for the ladies’ restroom as a selling point in promoting your concerts?

Petrucci: “That’s funny! I’m not sure why it’s like that. I just did my third guitar camp called John Petrucci’s Guitar Universe and I have lots of guest instructors that come in. This was the first time my wife Rena came as a guest instructor – she’s a guitar player from Meanstreak, which was an all-female thrash band, and she plays in [all-female Judas Priest tribute band] Judas Priestess now.

All the campers there except for two were male. We had discussions on why more women don’t come to camps and concerts in this genre. There are tons of female players and drummers out there, why don’t they come to shows? We’ve seen an increase in DT audiences lately but the ratio is still well off and I always wonder why. I’d love to see more women come to our shows!”

This quote struck me when I saw a photo of the audience of a Snarky Puppy show. I mean what women doesn't like puppies? Yet, while there was a smattering of elder-Moms in the crowd, it was clearly a Dude-heavy event. Why is it that women don't get what men do from Dream Theater's Noodly-Doodly or male Subaru drivers derives from Snarky Puppy's odd blend of rock, jazz, R&B, funk? and world music?

Attachments

• 4229AB0C-00D1-4CE5-93AD-3889C1927CD3.jpeg
    4229AB0C-00D1-4CE5-93AD-3889C1927CD3.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 38

mikyok

Platinum Member
As I posted last week,

"Women and prog rock, never the twain shall meet"

Zappa is a massive no go too. There are the very rare exceptions.

1 hit wonder

Maybe a little more interesting question to me (re: that audience pic) is: why is Snarky Puppy’s audience so heavily white?

Demographics. Ask the A & R guys at record companies if you don't know.

The music appeals to exploratory natures, which is a defining trait of the male psyche, especially the White male.

Last edited:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
They aint got no rock stars. They are only dreamers and puppies.

KenDoken

Ooh this is going to be a good one. I certainly look forward to hearing from the female forum members on this

From my own observations to my wife's reactions to music:

Bebop - dislikes ("I can't think with this going on")
New wave jazz - very strong dislike ("turn it off now")
Frank Zappa - Intolerance
Credence Clearwater Revival - allergic

She is a very talented, skilled and successful musician far beyond my own abilities. I'll do further research and report back

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Maybe a little more interesting question to me (re: that audience pic) is: why is Snarky Puppy’s audience so heavily white?
They're related, I think.

You can flip this one on its head. You can ask "why aren't there more men at a Norah Jones concert?"

Its related to cultural upbringing, as well as relatability. Its too early in the morning to go into more detail, but I'll wait to see what others say first.

Also, to avoid this going into a huge flamewar slug fest, let's just ignore One Hit Wonder, because that's gonna lock this thread. Let's keep things level-headed here, because this is a very interesting discussion.

1 hit wonder

They're related, I think.

You can flip this one on its head. You can ask "why aren't there more men at a Norah Jones concert?"

Its related to cultural upbringing, as well as relatability. Its too early in the morning to go into more detail, but I'll wait to see what others say first.

Also, to avoid this going into a huge flamewar slug fest, let's just ignore One Hit Wonder, because that's gonna lock this thread. Let's keep things level-headed here, because this is a very interesting discussion.
Cries out in pain as he strikes others.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Probably women are so busy with work and success nowadays. My three daughters are more successful than mates and have less free time because always busy. But that maybe anecdotal.

Music has always had age,gender, ancestry demographics differences. I don’t know where I went wrong raising my daughters as they all hate jazz just like their Mom LOL. “Its elevator music Dad “. I remind them so is Led Zeppelin and classic rock. No verbal response - eye roll. I don’t imagine bands have much to do with who attends concerts or why people like their music.

Hey maybe there is some misandry (lol) or more likely hesitation because don’t want to be in a room of raucous Neolithic males .

Really why do people like the music they like is the question. Age, gender, ethnocultural/ancestry and when in time and where on planet people grow up also plays into it. It’s difficult to objectively measure why people subjectively like something. So this will turn into psychoanalysis? I don’t think you can clump any of those parameters to define any group because so much diversity in people regardless of any parameter. I don’t think there is some conspiracy just how the worm turns. My final answer it’s nature and nurture. ROFL.

TMe

Can you dance to it? Can you sing along with it? Does it go with anything? Does it share any deep emotion? Or is it just a bunch of guys showing off how far they can pee?

Last edited:

Jeremy Crockett

Why? I cannot think of anything LESS interesting.

wraub

Gold Member
Since we're speaking in generalities here, I'd say it's because the music of those bands is without strong melodies.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I’m not fond of Dream theatre but I like some Snarky puppy songs cause fun to drum to.
I’m more curious why my wife likes and loves me ~36 years today actually. Heck I’ve got one really good friend (sure I have casual friends I don’t hang with)and my own family hasn’t been keen on me. But my wife and daughters adore me and don’t think as crazy as most people seem to think. But today I count my blessings and don’t question why.

pgm554

Platinum Member
I'm thinking not enough Autotune.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Well we need to do brain scans of various people in these classifications you folks come up with listening to the music, then do genetic analysis of various polymorphisms that aren’t unique to a gender or race but may associate with some musical preferences.