Why do I want a bop kit?

I don't know about bop kits.
I played strictly 22" bass drums in the past.
A while ago I got a smaller kit for band rehearsals with a 20" one.
It felt so tiny to me, I measured if I didn't get a smaller one.
Maybe because I'm 185 cm tall, I just don't like the look of me sitting behind smaller bass drums.
I remember a while ago there was a picture posted of some guy playing probably the smallest bass drum ever.
It looked...uh...odd. Like kicking a snare lying on its side.

But hey @JimmyM: if you enjoy it and can afford it, go ahead and buy one! :p

Last edited:
Thing is, folks, I have played some sets where the bass was 18 and they were just fine. And I didn’t arrive at the bop kit idea overnight, either. I thought about it for a good while, going back and forth with the idea. But while it’s not like I committed entirely to it, it’s not like the idea doesn’t have merit. Or at least it might if I actually gigged ;)

We’ll see.

It does seem there are a lot of bop kits on the used market-- I think a lot of people think they'll like the portability but end up not liking the amount of low end.

I'm one of those guys who loves the sound of an 18" bass drum for jazz-- I use my Yamaha AHM 12/14/18 and it's glorious. But I also love a 20 and have done a million jazz gigs with a 12/14/20 combo.

So, I mean, if you want THAT SOUND, get one. The Stage Custom is great and perfectly usable on professional gigs. If you want to upgrade from that, the new Tour Custom kits sound amazing to my ears.

I put a bid on a 3bd house with enclosed garage, and the bedrooms are carpeted. The downside is the community is HOA and the houses, all brick, are 4-8 feet apart from each other. Mom will be living with me but she's 80+ and probably needs my drumming in the garage (where the moisture is). I want a drum room inside where I can put a recording studio in place.
Aggh don’t do it! HOAs are *the worst* and they will make your drumming life miserable forever. Think about how much you bid for the house and then add 50-100K on top to soundproof the garage. Especially if you’re already concerned about moisture in the garage—think about the cost of a large dehumidifier and running it steadily for half the year.

Aggh don’t do it! HOAs are *the worst* and they will make your drumming life miserable forever. Think about how much you bid for the house and then add 50-100K on top to soundproof the garage. Especially if you’re already concerned about moisture in the garage—think about the cost of a large dehumidifier and running it steadily for half the year.
We just left an HOA house, and they’re scum. Spent nothing on anything but an occasional gate repair, mowing the entrance, and attorney letters. And they picked on certain people just because they had the audacity to argue their constant selective harassment and wannabe snobbery. But man, they sure sold us on how good and helpful the HOA would be to us while they were building.

Disgraziata!!!

So I’m thinking that it’s stupid for me to buy a new set with that old Pearl Export 20 x 16 here. Fine enough drum. And then instead of buying a kit, I could keep on adding beater Ludwig toms. 12 and 14 toms are common. And then I could reskin them with the Ampeg tolex and they would match my current set.

However, if I can talk my Ampeg AR guy into hooking me up with a price on some SC’s, might do that, too.

Seller already accepted, but it's a loan assumption contingency with a interest rate at 3.5%. Hard to find any loan out there less than 7%. I guess I'll stick to sound proofing the bedroom, which has one window.

Seller already accepted, but it's a loan assumption contingency with an interest rate at 3.5%. Hard to find any loan out there less than 7%. I guess I'll stick to sound proofing the bedroom, which has one window.
You have a point in the interest rate.

Yep I had the Bop itch a year or so a go. Thing about a Bop kit is I like the 12/14 in tom combo but I don't like an 18 in kick-I like the smaller 16 in. However the 16 kicks usually go with a 10/14 tom combo or add an even smaller 13 in floor-and I'm not thrilled with 10 in toms or 13 in floors (I like 14 in floors). Maybe find a cheap SONOR AQX in a configuration you like-they are poplar (so everyone must want one ROFL).

You don’t want a bop kit. They are sissy drums.

:ROFLMAO:

A1cIUZSM8ML._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C71NWDZRxS%2BL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_SX466_.png

Got this cool bop kit in 2012, and took an obligatory pool photo.

The end.

0206.jpg

I had a Gretsch Cat Club kit with 18" bass -sold it. I also had a Taye Go-kit, which I thought was to die for when I bought it. But I never felt the love, so I sold it, nearly for what I paid.

1717961613446.png

This thread is telling me to shower quickly to get rid of my current bop itch! 🙃

Well, the Masters are excluded from the sissy group. But Max was still right about being able to fit everybody and their stuff in a station wagon. Heck, Elvin probably said the same thing too 😉
Yes but (the well known dancer..) He continued it adding the 8/12/9/13 16/16/ 18x18 tom
So must a been Something a More'..

elvin jones 2.jpg

Elvin walked right up to a buddy of mine (I had just met) and I shook Elvin's hand and looked right eye level to him, he wasn't that tall but was a mile wide; so I don't think he had a small foot..

Ah yes the Ole Bop kit players are Sissies argument. I think the root of the argument arises from the Jazz player argument of the dichotomy between rock and jazz player argument-pictured here. It's like fencing-lunge, parry, riposte. No blood-despite Whiplash.
rock vs jazz drummer.png

I used to have Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit with an 18 ich bass drum. I never played any jazz with it. It was fun for a few years, but I went back to a larger bass drum. Peace and goodwill.

Back