Why do guitar players do this?

no talent

any time at practice that we listen to an ipod to go over a new song why do guitar players insist on strumming along their parts with the guitar volume on?? it drives me nuts, im trying to hear my parts and all I hear is them playing live, and usually incorrectly over the ipod. cant a guitar player play an electric guitar with the volume off? I can just listen to a drum part and get it without actually playing, is that impossible on guitar? every band ive been in and listened to an ipod a practice always gets stepped on by live guitar noodling....sorry, this has just ben bugging me for about 6 years.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That's easy. His part is more important than anyone else's.

I thought you knew that already, what's wrong with you? :)

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Some guitarists just can't stop noodling no matter what. If they are plugged into a live amp, it never ceases. haha!

That reminds me, I gotta go practice my guitar. haha!

KamaK

Platinum Member
It's sorta like when a drummer leaves his snare turned on when the guitar/bassist are working out their parts. The answer is, because we're inconsiderate assholes. All of us. ;-)

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Some guitarists just can't stop noodling no matter what. If they are plugged into a live amp, it never ceases. haha!

I literally (not figuratively) threw a guitarist out of a live room once when I was recording. Would not stop noodling between takes and we were trying to have a conversation about what the track needed. After I warned him for the forth time, I went in there, picked him up and took him into the corridor then put him down quickly and went back to my work. I did know the guy but it was utterly unbearable.

The rest of the band thought it was hilarious and were on my side!

Friedmett

I've been guilty of this in a former band but you got to do something else with your hands as standing with a electric guitar cold is not interesting that much.

To my defense I stay out of other people trying to reach a compromise or decide on who is right on which beat to come in on and not playing gets kind of boring with 2 people going of for 5 minutes in a heated debate.

Right that is done. Next song!

Since you are now both in agreement should we not play that song all the way through? It should be easy and simple right? So we did.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
If you're all trying to learn a song from a recording, he might be just testing to make sure he's playing the right notes. They have to worry about pitch and melody, and we only have to worry about what to hit when and how. It's not as critical that we play along to match up notes.

GeoB

Gold Member

What? Drummers drum EVERYWHERE... steering wheel, dash boards, desk tops, at the dinner table, on the sofa arms, on their knees....

Guitarists can only noodle IF they have a guitar around.

Drummers are always bangin' on something!

M

Matt Bo Eder

When I played in the college jazz band, the director kept the guitarist(s) close to his left in the room. On his podium he kept a pair of wire cutters by the scores. There's been more than once when I saw him cut the strings on a noodling guitar player. Very funny.

And yes, he kept a stock of strings to give to the offending guitar player after the fact. It was an educational moment ;)

radman

From the moldy oldie file:

Q: How do you get a guitarist to shut up?
A: Put a piece of sheet music in front of him.

:p

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
Im more interested in the fact that you are listening to the songs as a whole band. Seems like it would be more effective for everybody to listen to them individually and practice on your own. Then when you come together you actually rehearse the song as a group. Then the guitarist could noodle over the parts all he wanted without bothering anybody.

no talent

Im more interested in the fact that you are listening to the songs as a whole band. Seems like it would be more effective for everybody to listen to them individually and practice on your own. Then when you come together you actually rehearse the song as a group. Then the guitarist could noodle over the parts all he wanted without bothering anybody.
its usually a case where we have all been given the song prior, but playing it for the first time seems to be difficult so we say "lets listen to it", then no one can really hear it because of the guitar player playing along....they usually do turn down the volume but never off. drives me freakin nuts! the latest song that did this to us wa Hoodoo voodoo doll by Brian Setzer, a lot of changes and accents to match up.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Guitar noodling is the worst.

Start "drum noodling" while they are trying to listen to their parts to see what happens.

rtliquid

--------------
THIS!!!!!! It is SO frustrating to go to a band practice and just sit there while everyone else learns their parts. I KNOW MY part. I KNOW MY instrument. I come prepared. Nail down the ending, work out the harmonies, move on! It shouldn't take anymore than 15-20 minutes to complete a song. I don't need a "boys night out". One of the bands I'm currently in literally takes months to learn 3-4 songs. Then when we actually put it on the setlist, the singer skips over it because he's too scared to try it.

no talent

--------------
THIS!!!!!! It is SO frustrating to go to a band practice and just sit there while everyone else learns their parts. I KNOW MY part. I KNOW MY instrument. I come prepared. Nail down the ending, work out the harmonies, move on! It shouldn't take anymore than 15-20 minutes to complete a song. I don't need a "boys night out". One of the bands I'm currently in literally takes months to learn 3-4 songs. Then when we actually put it on the setlist, the singer skips over it because he's too scared to try it.
Just to be clear, we don't practice this way. the songs are suggested before practice and we all come ready to play. our current record for new songs done, completed, added to the next nights set list in a 2 and a half hour practice is 11! however, it never fails that someone will say " hey here is a song i heard on the ride here" or one they have been thinking about and break out their phone to play it on youtube. that when the noodling starts and it kills me.