Why aren't there more sets of heads?

Swissward Flamtacles

Silver Member
Feeling a bit "ranty" looking at prices of new heads... Why don't manufacturers offer more packages aside from ye olde 12/13/16, 10/12/14 and 10/12/16?
Why not offer Ambassadors as 12/14/14/20 or 12/14/14/18 and Emperors as 13/16/18/24 for example? I can see how actual brick and mortar stores might not want to keep every combination in stock, but for online retailers? It wouldn't need to be in an actual box, so stores could still sell heads individually. Providing a discount if you buy a complete set seems like a good deal for both the client and the company. I'd think it would motivate more people to swap all heads at once instead of just getting a new snare head and calling it a day.

I agree, but trying to come up with all the different size combos would be a nightmare. Instead of having pre packaged heads, why not have some kind of generic bulk deal. 2 heads for $XXX. 3 heads for $YYY. 4 heads for $ZZZ.

I often feel screwed in the bulk head department because I play 10/13/16. I feel like I'm alone in this tom configuration.

You're probably right - it might be tricky to implement those offers into online stores. It's a rant after all, so I didn't completely think this through. :D
Maybe have a poll (because everybody loves a good poll, right?) to find out which combinations are most prevalent?

You're probably right - it might be tricky to implement those offers into online stores. It's a rant after all, so I didn't completely think this through. :D
Maybe have a poll (because everybody loves a good poll, right?) to find out which combinations are most prevalent?
I feel the same way because I do run an unusual tom combo. However, 12/13/16 comes in bulk and so does 10/12/16. Swapping should be allowed.

Yessr!

Sizes needed were:
6/8/10/12/13/14/14snare/15/16/16/18/24

I thought “🤬I wish Remo made a CS dot pre-pack to suit my kit.”

Went to Sweetwater online and picked my heads in shopping cart, boom! But price was not discounted; and, you’re guys online dealings history (thank you) made me think it over.

So I called SW, simply inquired and built my order again, as it was over the phone with the sales rep. He gave me a great discount making the total little less than $200.

Good thing this is a concert tom kit.

Just kidding about the head pack, everything else is true - nowadays simply call the virtual retailer and they’ll hook you up (did this with my 7 pc. Pearl kit with both reso and batters). Pick each head individually and inquire about a pre-pack type discount.
Especially if you do buy a prepack bulk whether it’s 4 piece or more.

Last edited:
Why not offer Ambassadors as 12/14/14/20 or 12/14/14/18 and Emperors as 13/16/18/24 for example? ... Providing a discount if you buy a complete set seems like a good deal for both the client and the company. I'd think it would motivate more people to swap all heads at once instead of just getting a new snare head and calling it a day.

The problems with creating a part # (SKU) is that it bloats the manufacturer's and sellers' systems, and takes up extra space in the warehouse. With both Evans and Remo, trying to offer tom and snare head combinations in additional fringe size groupings creates a nightmare that outweighs the relative convenience for a handful of a customers. In fact, snare batters are usually left out of combo packs because drummers have such diverse tastes.

I'm sure there were surveys of kit configurations sold before anyone embarked on creating the handful of pre-packs currently available.

As for drummers swapping all batters at once and being encouraged to get a 4-pack, I think that's rare. I would say that snare batters get changed more often than tom batters, just because the snare gets more action (unless you're in an Adam Ants tribute!)

I think we’re fine the way it is. I don’t expect every manufacturer of everything ever made to have to offer packages for every different combination. That’s why they sell heads separately anyway. If they did, then agree to the higher prices it’ll take to maintain that, which I know everyone will complain about anyway.

This is probably what you should be lobbying for:

Instead of having pre packaged heads, why not have some kind of generic bulk deal. 2 heads for $XXX. 3 heads for $YYY. 4 heads for $ZZZ.

None of the pre-packs work for me, so I have to buy individually. I like Ambassador batters, but since I'm purchasing them individually at full price, no need to stick with Remo on the resos. I've got Aquarians there. If there were bulk discounts, there'd be Remos there instead.

I think we’re fine the way it is. I don’t expect every manufacturer of everything ever made to have to offer packages for every different combination. That’s why they sell heads separately anyway. If they did, then agree to the higher prices it’ll take to maintain that, which I know everyone will complain about anyway.

agree...this is a very first world problem

I am also probably spoiled in that I live in biking distance from Columbus Pro Percussion, who usually has at least 1 of every size and model of drum set head there is in the store...especially post covid. I never even entertained the thought of needing head sets...

I think it is also b/c I am poor, and I only change heads when they break, or pull out

OK, I just checked how much you save by buying a pre-packaged set - it's only about 5%, so I no longer care. :D It still seems a bit weird to me that Remo/Evans/Aquarian don't want to create an incentive for more customers to buy a bunch of heads at once, but maybe it's too much of a hassle as bermuda explained.
agree...this is a very first world problem
Sure, just like 99% of all threads on equipment at Drummerworld. :p I also rarely change heads and have even bought them second hand (barely used) before to complete sets I was restoring for friends or myself.

OK, I just checked how much you save by buying a pre-packaged set - it's only about 5%, so I no longer care. :D It still seems a bit weird to me that Remo/Evans/Aquarian don't want to create an incentive for more customers to buy a bunch of heads at once, but maybe it's too much of a hassle as bermuda explained.

Sure, just like 99% of all threads on equipment at Drummerworld. :p I also rarely change heads and have even bought them second hand (barely used) before to complete sets I was restoring for friends or myself.

yeah...I wasn't meaning to sound like a jerk or anything...it is just wierd to think about waht we are lucky enough to get to think about..

By the way, there is D'Addario's "Player's Circle" where you can get a free head every now and then - unfortunately only in the US as far as I know. :)

Drummers wanting more head-makes sense I guess. Oh wow free head-I'm surprised we all aren't members of D'Addario.

I bet a lot of us use a different kind of head on our kicks and snares than we do our toms.

Back