Why are Yamaha wing nuts so irritatingly tiny

Captain Bash

Silver Member
I really like Yamaha hardware, but boy those tiny wing nuts are so impractical for gigs. They are fiddly, fiddly is irritating and impractical for any one who has set up tear down. Ive given up and joined the wing nut free hipsters (10 years too late). Please Yamaha make bigger wing nuts for my normal sized drummers hands.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Take your Yamaha wingnuts to the hardware store and buy bigger ones. No need to go all hipster on us lol.

someguy01

M8 x 1.25

harryconway

Platinum Member
They make two different kinds/sizes, one of which is almost the size of a drum key;)

Attachments

• yamaha wing nuts & drum key.JPG
    yamaha wing nuts & drum key.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 29

lefty2

Platinum Member
Most of mine are large. I still have hardware from the 80s with smaller wing nuts. What really bothers me is my DW light weight stands don’t have enough stem above the threads and the nuts fall off when I'm removing them. I very seldom drop the Yamaha nuts.

wraub

This thread actually made me go look at the nuts on my Yamaha stuff.

The nuts are two different sizes.

All looks normal to me.

;)

SomeBadDrummer

I just use a hex nut and torque them down. They never come loose.

Traveling is a bit of a pain though. I'm glad my car has a sunroof.
Are we to infer that you have your torqued down gear sticking out the sunroof? Hope it doesn't rain/snow...

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I see a pattern They are so small to drive you “nuts”.
This thread actually made me go look at the nuts on my Yamaha stuff.

The nuts are two different sizes.

All looks normal to me.

;)
It is normal. Usually one nut is larger (the right) and one hangs lower-generally the left hangs lower (that’s what they told the medical/grad class). I’ve also read righties left hangs lower and lefties right? It’s nutz ain’t it.