Why are there more male musicians than female musicians?

Back Again! (break time at work)

I seriously considering pulling an "Anthony" and then reincarnating myself as "A Plan Only." ;-)

Back Again! (break time at work)

I seriously considering pulling an "Anthony" and then reincarnating myself as "A Plan Only." ;-)

LOL "A Plan Only" was on the table as a possibility!

A reincarnated Anthony could have some great anagram names ... as a Keith fan he could be "Tony Moon Ahead" or even "A Handy Moon Tone". Also Monotony Ahead, Data Honeymoon ...

BTW Smoke, I take it you found the monolith, given your seemingly rapid evolution from what we can now safely refer to as "Smoke's Famous Neolithic post" :)

Tough Q this and my answer is really, 'I don't know!!!!!!!!'.

Why do girls do Biology and lads do Physics at school??!!!!

There's no reason why women can't play drums awesomely (Sheila E, Cindy Blackman etc) so the reason must lie elsewhere.....?

Cheers

TJ@ www.britchops.co.uk

Gosh Pol, please call me John.

I hate to hijack a thread and I'd never hijack your Ana-Grea. Thought I might lighten up my mood, if no-one else's.

I don't mind being dubbed a cave-dweller - sometimes the shoe fits - but I seldom mean malicious harm. Seventy-some-odd posts and I'm branded a relative of Archie Bunker. Ughh. Me drummer.

Strangely enough, I haven't been kicked in the guts like that since the doctor said, "It's cancer." REALLY!! In circles where I'm familiar, no-one would ever glean anything hurtful from something I've said. Sadly, the written word is more frangible than the spoken word, so we'll have to abide by the written word's foibles if we choose to live with a foot here in the forum. Count me in, I'll take the lumps!

I'll be out of pocket for a week or so. My bride of 33 years and I (Yes, I DO know a woman, Mary - and she's a saint!) are headed up above the 45th (Northern) parallel to our someday retirement home, where there is no internet and we'll observe the anniversary of the USA's Independence Day with fireworks of our own making.

I miss you folks already, John

Gosh Pol, please call me John.

I hate to hijack a thread and I'd never hijack your Ana-Grea. Thought I might lighten up my mood, if no-one else's.

I don't mind being dubbed a cave-dweller - sometimes the shoe fits - but I seldom mean malicious harm. Seventy-some-odd posts and I'm branded a relative of Archie Bunker. Ughh. Me drummer.

Strangely enough, I haven't been kicked in the guts like that since the doctor said, "It's cancer." REALLY!! In circles where I'm familiar, no-one would ever glean anything hurtful from something I've said. Sadly, the written word is more frangible than the spoken word, so we'll have to abide by the written word's foibles if we choose to live with a foot here in the forum. Count me in, I'll take the lumps!

I'll be out of pocket for a week or so. My bride of 33 years and I (Yes, I DO know a woman, Mary - and she's a saint!) are headed up above the 45th (Northern) parallel to our someday retirement home, where there is no internet and we'll observe the anniversary of the USA's Independence Day with fireworks of our own making.

I miss you folks already, John

More male musicians where? If you include the entire planet, my bet is that it's more like 50/50.

I guess 50/50 if you include the transsexual band that plays in the New Orleans French Quarter. Though I never wanted to get that close to determine it for certain.

There are a lot of women who are musicians, they just don't happen to plwy in rock/jazz bands. There are a lot of female singers, accompanists, and symphonies are loaded with them. I think they tend to play different instruments than drums and guitar. also, a lot get side tracked when they get married and have families.

Hehe John, all in good fun. "Frangible" ... haven't heard that word used for a long time. Awesome!

Exactly right Sir...I checked the members profile and hes a 17 yr old so a little more life to lead yet per chance?? Toodles,J

Thanks for that, guys! Insightful comments as always. I see my original point of both how

-misogynistic 'jokes' are harmful, and

-the "women in the kitchen" joke is a dead horse that has been beaten so efficiently over the years that there's now a 50 foot crater around it

were taken correctly, plus I see we worked the insinuation that my age somehow prevents me from having a valid opinion on this topic in here again! Now, Watso, where should I go to receive this f***ing?

Thanks for that, guys! Insightful comments as always. I see my original point of both how

-misogynistic 'jokes' are harmful, and

-the "women in the kitchen" joke is a dead horse that has been beaten so efficiently over the years that there's now a 50 foot crater around it

were taken correctly, plus I see we worked the insinuation that my age somehow prevents me from having a valid opinion on this topic in here again! Now, Watso, where should I go to receive this f***ing?

You are absolutely right, and I'm glad you're fighting the good fight, but sometimes opportunities for tasteless jokes are just too good to miss, that's all. If I'd thought for a moment that there was anything more to it than that, I'd have pitched in.

You are absolutely right, and I'm glad you're fighting the good fight, but sometimes opportunities for tasteless jokes are just too good to miss, that's all. If I'd thought for a moment that there was anything more to it than that, I'd have pitched in.

Eh, I suppose it's just a bit too tasteless for my tastes. Tastey taste, tastaste. Whatever :)

-misogynistic 'jokes' are harmful.
Don't worry, the young ladies about aren't going to understand such a big word like "misogyny" anyway.

I don't get it, is there a horse in the kitchen with your woman? Which one has been beaten for years?

were taken correctly, plus I see we worked the insinuation that my age somehow prevents me from having a valid opinion on this topic in here again!
We will explain everything when you're older and can process this kind of adult joke with more maturity.

Now, Watso, where should I go to receive this f***ing?
I don't know, go stand with all the other guys who can't take jokes that aren't even directed at them. There's probably a line.

It's like saying, why are there more male chefs than female chefs?

It's an unfortunate side-effect. Since all the women folk will be at home in the kitchen(without shoes), it really only leaves the poor men to go get the real restaurant cooking done.

We will explain everything when you're older and can process this kind of adult joke with more maturity./QUOTE]

In 30 years' time, he'll be doing exactly that. In the meantime, he's doing exactly what he should be doing. Just because some of us are old, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't be held to account by younger peeps.

Well, the main reason we don’t see more female rock musicians is because we end up surrounded by idiots like the ones in this forum who assume we are more interested in having dainty fingernails than in playing guitar for 8 hours straight or carrying heavy amps around. These are probably the same kind of idiots who will tell us things like “you’re good for a girl,” or instead of commenting on our sweet riff, you’ll be commenting on our physical appearance. Or following us in a threatening manner after the show. Because like any other avenue in our lives, we as women are not taken seriously, and we’re looked at as women - aka walking vaginas - before we are ever looked at as people or guitarists or drummers or artists or any of the things we actually are.
We’re also told to be quiet and unassertivein just about every space we go into our entire lives. And how many of us are encouraged to play the bass guitar as kids? We should be taking piano lessons or take up the flute, right? Piano lessons are great, really, but y’all know what I mean.

So to persevere through all of that, and then contend with the fact that if you somehow manage to break through all of it and be successful, you’ll still be relegated to “female artist,” instead of “artist,” it’s no wonder so many give up before even starting, ya know?

But still, many of us persist, because we are incredibly powerful people with wills of steel. Right on us.

Anecdote onhauling equipment: the last time I was in Portland, I was hanging out with my friend and he had a gig, so I got to do the whole shebang and arrive early to setup and whatnot. His band mates were surprised and impressed that I was helping lug in all the gear. With my puny little woman arms. Ya know? I didn’t even think about it - My thought process is “here are all these amps that need to go inside, let’s being them in.” And that’s all anybody else’s thought processes should be too. That having a vagina doesn’t mean I’m fragile and incompetent and have nothing important to contribute to or say about society.

Well, the main reason we don’t see more female rock musicians is because we end up surrounded by idiots like the ones in this forum who assume we are more interested in having dainty fingernails than in playing guitar for 8 hours straight or carrying heavy amps around. These are probably the same kind of idiots who will tell us things like “you’re good for a girl,” or instead of commenting on our sweet riff, you’ll be commenting on our physical appearance. Or following us in a threatening manner after the show. Because like any other avenue in our lives, we as women are not taken seriously, and we’re looked at as women - aka walking vaginas - before we are ever looked at as people or guitarists or drummers or artists or any of the things we actually are.
We’re also told to be quiet and unassertivein just about every space we go into our entire lives. And how many of us are encouraged to play the bass guitar as kids? We should be taking piano lessons or take up the flute, right? Piano lessons are great, really, but y’all know what I mean.

So to persevere through all of that, and then contend with the fact that if you somehow manage to break through all of it and be successful, you’ll still be relegated to “female artist,” instead of “artist,” it’s no wonder so many give up before even starting, ya know?

But still, many of us persist, because we are incredibly powerful people with wills of steel. Right on us.

Anecdote onhauling equipment: the last time I was in Portland, I was hanging out with my friend and he had a gig, so I got to do the whole shebang and arrive early to setup and whatnot. His band mates were surprised and impressed that I was helping lug in all the gear. With my puny little woman arms. Ya know? I didn’t even think about it - My thought process is “here are all these amps that need to go inside, let’s being them in.” And that’s all anybody else’s thought processes should be too. That having a vagina doesn’t mean I’m fragile and incompetent and have nothing important to contribute to or say about society.

Welcome to the forum.

Ooh I just discovered this thread ;)
Hi themandaland, it's a pity to see you so desillusioned and cynical.

When I joined the local samba percussion band I discovered it's a 90% female thing in France. Same for the other percussion bands we met with and played with. All these women loved to play and perform and their playing varied from pretty poor to awfully good just like the few guys that were there.
Now in Brazil it's the other way around, it's 90% men. Why is that? Some may argue samba schools in Brazil are terrribly competitive, the ones who get to play at the Rio carnaval are the very best and you can only get to that level with gallons of testosterone running through your body, making you forget your wife and family and mowing the lawn and what all else would distract you from playing the enredo.

I don't know.

I think as soon as the female/male ratio in any activity goes beyond 70/30 or drops below 30/70, the sheep in us goes "OK apparently it's an opposite sex activity" and we somehow lose interest. Only the most passionate people don't.

Edit: the other observation I made was samba percussion bands in France consist of 90% extreme-left environmentalists (while I work with oil companies :) ). Now what does that have to do with samba? It's just as irrelevant as gender. It's people hanging out with similar people.

Last edited:
I imagine it's a matter of cultural bias compounded with societal bias compounded with media bias.

Thinking about it... It's been about a century since we've stopped considering being female as a medical condition. There are still numerous places in the world where women aren't allowed to show their faces, let alone play an instrument, drive cars, read, etc. Social stratification is fairly resistant to change, and I don't see any sort of watershed event occurring in the near future that will result in global enlightenment.

All I can say is, yeah, it sucks. No, I don't think it will get much better in our lifetime. No, I don't think there's a lot I can do about it outside of my immediate sphere of influence. The notion that a single chromosome and the manner which proteins are expressed might have some sort of effect on musical ability is so utterly ridiculous to me that it's difficult to formulate a coherent counter-argument.

If the Venus Project ever has a pilot city, I'd hop on the boat immediately.

Apparently more males desire to play music than females do. It really is that simple.

If the Venus Project ever has a pilot city, I'd hop on the boat immediately.

Yay collectivism. You're welcome to it, I'll keep my individual liberty and all of it's "flaws" thank you.

Back