Why are there more male musicians than female musicians?

Smoke

Silver Member
I'd agree with the 50/50 split when comparing musicians. But if we're comparing male versus female "performers," that's where we find the disparity.

It seems to me that performers would perform any act that would get them the undying adulation of 100,000 fans in a stadium. Do you think that Mick Jagger and Ted Nugent are still in it for the money? It's the screaming fans that fan their flames.

I'd bet that more women are comfortable in their own skin and only need to be loved by a gurgling baby and a working man, rather than a stadium full of fans.

A musical artist may be just as competent as the super-star but finds his/her bliss in accomplishment rather than stardom.

I'd bet you could more accurately categorize musicians if you identified what "floats their boat" rather than broad stripes like gender.

JMHO, John

Magenta

Platinum Member
I'd bet that more women are comfortable in their own skin and only need to be loved by a gurgling baby and a working man, rather than a stadium full of fans.
For approximately half of my female friends, a stadium full of fans would be bloody fantastic. As would a house full of cats.

I wouldn't swap my husband and kids for anything, but I'm not at all sure that most women would want what I have.

A musical artist may be just as competent as the super-star but finds his/her bliss in accomplishment rather than stardom.
I think I do agree with you there, though.

groove1

Silver Member
In sheer numbers I don't have any idea if it's 50/50 or not but women dominate harp, flute, piccolo, clarinet, violin, viola, classical piano etc. Lots of women play guitar etc.
When I play, I'm always thankful for the women in the audience...I mean who wants to look
at a bunch of guys while they play?

MaryO

Platinum Member
I'm sorry...do you know any women? Please tell me you just did NOT go there! Do you think we are all happy with just being barefoot and pregnant and in the kitchen, too? Sheesh, I must be a sorry excuse for a woman then...not married, no children and insecure (as most women I know are). Excuse me while I go bang my head on the wall and end this miserable existence I'm living.

Look, I'm sure you're a nice guy and meant well and, yes, I'm being a little over-dramatic, but statements like that are just silly. You make some good points otherwise...you jsut should have left this observation out.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
A fine myth worthy of the noble savage :) I love to watch a baby gurgle down a (specially enlarged) bath plug hole down to Bondi Beach. Note that in the southern hemisphere our drains swirl in an anti-clockwise direction ...

Chunky

Silver Member
A fine myth worthy of the noble savage :) I love to watch a baby gurgle down a (specially enlarged) bath plug hole down to Bondi Beach. Note that in the southern hemisphere our drains swirl in an anti-clockwise direction ...
I haven't read any of this thread, only this on post and well.... I see you still haven't found your marbles Polly! lol. I think you actually might be a genius, you are super smart and totally mental. That's usually the case with genius's right?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
She is a genius. She actually kept and maintained daily temperature readings where she lived for like 20 years or something, right Grea? No one made her do it. She wanted to. Who does that? Geniuses do that, that's who.

Chunky

Silver Member
She is a genius. She actually kept and maintained daily temperature readings where she lived for like 20 years or something, right Grea? No one made her do it. She wanted to. Who does that? Geniuses do that, that's who.
Lol, I think you're right, I really do!

MaryO

Platinum Member
I bow to you! This one made me spit out my drink.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Oh genius, shmenius. Get a grip, kids. I'm an idiot savant at best :)

I should add that, apart from the hilarious "gurgling baby" quote, I agreed with everything else that Smoke said in post #43, especially "I'd bet you could more accurately categorize musicians if you identified what "floats their boat" rather than ...".

I would add "anything else" after the dots.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Crikey, Smoke's put equal opportunities back about fifty years.

There's a difference between joking about it and actually thinking it...

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Crikey, Smoke's put equal opportunities back about fifty years.

There's a difference between joking about it and actually thinking it...
You must visit our wonderful country and see that equal opportunity isn't really equal, unless you are a white man with money.

Don't be offended though, our country is pretty wonderful!

mikel

Platinum Member
I'd agree with the 50/50 split when comparing musicians. But if we're comparing male versus female "performers," that's where we find the disparity.

It seems to me that performers would perform any act that would get them the undying adulation of 100,000 fans in a stadium. Do you think that Mick Jagger and Ted Nugent are still in it for the money? It's the screaming fans that fan their flames.

I'd bet you could more accurately categorize musicians if you identified what "floats their boat" rather than broad stripes like gender.

JMHO, John
Possibly, Smoke, but perhaps the continue to perform because they love doing it. Its there job, after all. I love playing the drums, especially live, with a band. I dont work any more and have never played for the money. Ha, I wish. I stll play because nothing beats the push and pull of a band really cooking at a live gig.

Perhaps Mick and Ted just enjoy the performance.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
To answer your question Larry: Because you play drums in a bar band.

Honestly Larry, I'm getting pretty bummed out at the things you choose to post...

Smoke

Silver Member
Whoops! Mea culpa.

I'd bet that more women are comfortable in their own skin
Yeah, on re-read 24 hours later, I do sound rather neanderthal. No offense intended. In all actuality, that was supposed to be a compliment. Had we been sitting together at the kitchen table with a beer, I'd have been able to back-pedal somewhat and reformulate my thoughts.

Lesson learned - no pore posting at work/lunch. Well, maybe a +1 with 18 other characters.

+ 1!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
To answer your question Larry: Because you play drums in a bar band.

Honestly Larry, I'm getting pretty bummed out at the things you choose to post...
Fair enough. I'm bummed out at some of the things I've been posting lately too.