Who's using a throne with a back rest?

New Tricks

Platinum Member
That picture is awesome.
I thought so. I was cracking up for several days. I just picked up a drum set (after an extended 30 year hiatus) but it didn't come with a throne. This thing happened to be kicking around and it was perfect.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I've been using a back rest for years.

During long rehearsals, it's nice to lean back in between songs while the others are tuning, etc.

kettles

Gold Member
If anyone has a Tama backrest they no longer want and wouldn't mind letting it go cheap to a good home let me know!

Davo-London

Gold Member
I have a DW 9000 throne, which is WAY too heavy to gig with. So I gig with a regular throne. I find comments like fat people rather insulting.

I think the comment about it stopping you slouch is a good one.

Davo

Late Bloomer

I have been using a Tama 1st throne with the adjustable backrest for about 2 yrs now. No more back soreness during gigs and rehersals. What I like about the Tama backrest , besides being adjustable up / down / back / forward is it is not a full chair type backrest. It is about 10" wide and about 4" in diameter.It just folds down when transporting as well. One of the best things I have bought for my drumming. Nice looking throne as well.

kettles

Gold Member
In terms of adjustment, how far can the Tama rest go forward? A photo of the backrest at it's forward-most (and low, think lower-lumbar) position would be awesome, if someone could post one. I sit towards the front part of the seat, so my tailbone is roughly 2 inches ahead of the rise at the back of the seat.

If anyone could give this a go I'd really appreciate it!

Evilbagua

Silver Member
Does a wall count? My practice spot's size limitations force my kit with my back almost a wall.I am a few inches in front of it, but during breaks I do lean back on it. For gigs I don't have any issue's with my backless porkpie throne.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I started using one about a year ago. It helps me sit up straigher; however, the add-on backrest will not fit in my hardware box. It is worth the extra trouble to transport it. I guess at age 54 it come with the territory. Peace and goodwill.

kettles

Gold Member

This image suggests the adjustable range of the backrest. Can anyone with a Tama throne confirm whether or not it can be angled forward more than the picture shows?

I would have it set lower, about half of what the photo shows.

Mike Armstrong

This image suggests the adjustable range of the backrest. Can anyone with a Tama throne confirm whether or not it can be angled forward more than the picture shows?

I would have it set lower, about half of what the photo shows.
I use the Tama 1st Chair w/backrest and thats how I keep mine, low and much farther forward than the picture shows. It's the legnth of that bottom bolt that adjusts the forward position. Mine didn't adjust far enough for my liking so I just threaded on a couple of bolts to the end of it and that gave it the extra legnth. You can also go to a hardware store and buy a longer bolt and it will do the same thing.

I had a Roc n Soc w/backrest but felt it belonged more behind an office desk than a drum kit. The large backrest and plastic base turned me off. The 1st Chair is solid and professional looking with your kit. I did however prefer the Roc's seat cushion over the Tama's thick, almost non contoured one. So I switched the cushions (the Roc n Soc cushion will bolt right onto the Tama seat base) and now feel I have the best of both thrones.

I was told early on to get used to using a backrest and it would pay off in the long run.

kettles

Gold Member
So I picked up the back rest for my throne today and quickly realised it's something I should have bought a LONG time ago! It is super comfortable and I'm already noticing an improvement in my posture.

As for the adjustment, I have it almost at the maximum angle and it's pretty much perfect. If I ever need more forward tilt I'll just tape a $2 coin to the arm to extend the bolt more :)

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Does a wall count? My practice spot's size limitations force my kit with my back almost a wall.I am a few inches in front of it, but during breaks I do lean back on it. For gigs I don't have any issue's with my backless porkpie throne.
That's the situation at my current regular gig - I'm backed right up against the wall.

G-2

said I'd never use one, have been using one for years. Rock 'n' sock with back support. Works great for the older guys who've had injury's.

Mike Armstrong

Thanks Mike! I found this photo last night, and the idea of using a longer bolt was pretty obvious when seeing it up close. I assume the hinge will allow it to travel further than with the normal bolt. I've ordered a backrest and hopefully picking it up in a few days.

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/HTB5-82ee7c154228419af3528f48de622d7c.jpg
(It's a huge photo so I posted as a link :))
Glad to here it Kettles. Enjoy your backrest, you'll be glad you did.

sleepcascade

I am sorry to jump the thread, but I have also thought about the need to make my core stronger, especially as i lean forward a lot when playing double bass. The thing is which exercises do you use? I can only think of sit - ups or crunches? Do you do something else?
Do yoga. Thatll help in all facets of your life along with building a good core.