Whoops! KIS screws up the reverb!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
One of those things that happen when setup goes badly & you're setting up your own sound on stage. Somehow, I switched the effects channel on the snare line to full reverb. Corrected it after the first number though. Thank goodness we now have a new sound guy!
Back to the 80's. Enjoy (at my expense, lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW4eBbqp9JQ

Naigewron

Platinum Member
It sounds like the type of snare sound that was popular in the early 90s. The snare head was tighter than in the 80s, but reverb was still running rampant.

Your snare didn't sound bad though, just a tad over the top :)

aydee

Platinum Member

Were you near a castle somewhere because it sounded like a queen was getting coronated next door........ except that the Coldstream Guard gun salute would'nt have had such good tempo ; )

Last edited:
M

mediocrefunkybeat

You should've put it on the toms and made it a 'feature' for that piece. You could've gotten away with it!

S

sticks4drums

Just listened to you guys on youtube. Nice and tight. Sounds great!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't think you'd have to dial the reverb back much for a very good sound..
Wow! You guys sure like your 'verb hit! I was thinking Abe's observation was closer to the mark.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Oh Lord
I've been waiting for this moment, all my life, Oh Lord
Can you feel it coming in the air tonight, Oh Lord, Oh Lord

Well, if you told me you were drowning
I would not lend a hand
I've seen your face before my friend
But I don't know if you know who I am
Well, I was there and I saw what you did
I saw it with my own two eyes
So you can wipe off the grin, I know where you've been
It's all been a pack of lies

That is all.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Actually, there is an in-joke about this at Uni. It involves of two people in a studio looking pained and shouting 'TMR! TMR!'. You'll get it when you work out what it stands for.

aydee

Platinum Member
That's a new and frightening verb...I think you would say 'crowned'. Coronated sounds like what happens to chickens before they go in sandwiches.
Not new, PQ. frightening? depends on what scares ya ; )

cor·o·nate 
[kawr-uh-neyt, kor-] Show IPA
adjective, verb, -nat·ed, -nat·ing.
–adjective

" having or wearing a crown, coronet, or the like."

Origin:
1840–50; < Latin corōnātus past participle of corōnāre to crown, equivalent to corōn ( a ) crown + -ātus -ate1

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I thought it sounded great. You can get away with playing less notes when your snare actually rings for 3 beats to the bar ;)

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Awwww yeeeaaaaah. That's the sexy-time snare reverb.

Actually it didn't sound that bad to me but I'm limited by youtube's compression so who knows. :p

Agreed with the "90's sounding" comment.

Great playing by the way!

-Jonathan

Chaos_Inferno

Silver Member
I actually liked the sound, although it may have been able to have been pulled back just a bit to be better... although maybe this video isn't the greatest representation of what it sounded like while you were actually there.

Then again, I like reverby open sounding drums anyways...

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
It sounds like the type of snare sound that was popular in the early 90s. The snare head was tighter than in the 80s, but reverb was still running rampant.

Your snare didn't sound bad though, just a tad over the top :)
Not to mention there is no gating (at least for more than the first 10 ms lol)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers guys,

thanks for your replies. I posted this as a bit of fun. You know, Andy getting something wrong as usual (you guys get to see all my messed up stuff). Of course, this example is over the top (it was a mistake, after all). Anyhow, you've got me thinking, maybe I should throw a separate mic on the snare more often, & dial in some lovely reverb. I usually get what I need from spill onto the vocal mics, except for the bigger stages that is.

Off travelling for a day or two. Have fun!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, the bombastic snare suits the bombastic song pretty well. Love the smell of bombast in the morning ...
Bombastic, really, that bad? Pretentious, overblown? I suppose so, certainly a theatrical delivery in musical terms.