Who won the Weckl/Colaiuta/Gadd drum-off?

• Thread starter Jammin' Jamin 2112
  • Start date

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I'm wonder which video appears in more threads on here: That one or Mr Gold Jacket?

Either way, it wasn't a drum off. I don't get why anyone would think there was a "winner" when it was clear it was 3 friends playing together.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Either way, it wasn't a drum off. I don't get why anyone would think there was a "winner" when it was clear it was 3 friends playing together.
Totally agree. I reckon the thread title was probably just poorly worded.

Still, it's clear people have a favourite performance(s) and have done ever since that vid started doing the rounds.....we've only gotta check all the old threads and that trend is easily identifiable. I know I'm guilty of it.

Certainly no "losers" there, but still, I can't deny that some performances tend to capture our favour more than others. I take it that's where the OP was heading.

Last edited:

(Future)DWdrummer

I'm wonder which video appears in more threads on here: That one or Mr Gold Jacket?
Am I the only one here who finds Mr. Gold Jacket funny?.. I bust up every single time I watch it. LOL

In regards to this power trio of drummers... I hope one day I will be able to more accurately comprehend everything they're doing- cuz right now its simply MIND BLOWING...

moxman

Silver Member
All amazing! I'd have to hand it to Steve Gadd.. then Dave Weckl and then Vinnie. Gadd just killed it bu also drove the whole thing into all different areas. Dav and Vinnie seemed to be battling for 2nd place by throwing as many licks in as possible.. and it was a close race.. but Steve Gadd had the most impact. IMHO!

radman

Certainly was a spectacle for the ages. It is awesome that yootoob, inet, etc. has it available for all to see. (So many drum events that happened decades ago were, for the most part, not recorded.)

... and I love Vinnie's wink after his first solo. All good fun, folks. No "winners" except for the listeners!

best,
radman

er-minio

But when the Gadd-father goes to that cow bell groove? Forget about it!! It's a groove so thick I turn green with envy.
Yes. That's the most musical bit.

I'm digging up this thread to ask... is there a tab of that groove anywhere (or what is it, please pardon my ignorance)?
I have the one page solo of the beginning of one eyed sailor he plays just before that, but I'd love to work on that groove.

update: ok ignore... mozambique :)

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
That's not what this was....at all.

First of all,this was the tail end of a Buddy Rich Tribute concert,evidenced by the presence of Buddys big band and Buddys daughter Cathy as MC.

Secondly,this was not a "drum off",which are competitions,which this clearly.....is not.

This was 3 of the best players on the planet,playing together in a pre- rehearsed series of solo's,patterns and collective playing as a unit.

This wasn't about who's better,and there clearly is no "winner" here,no trophy,no prize.Those guys weren't competing with one another,they were playing TOGETHER with one another.

Just 3 guys who have a great deal of mutual respect for each other,giving the audience some of their best solo's,and collective chops.

Context is everything.This was about entertaining an audience, who for the most part,"gets it",and expected the very best.....and got it.

Steve B
Exactly - I couldn't have written it better. Actually, I quote Weckl in saying: 'Playing the drums is not a sport, it's an art-form"

Otto

Platinum Member
would love to see them do it again!

I think Dave is a MUCH better player now...and he started pretty darned high!

I will give Dave the "most improved" award....which is as close to winning that anyone can define!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
They all used trad grip too. Never really noticed that fact before. I love when Vinnie alternates between his kick drum and right (or left) hand to play a roll. I am trying to cop that at the present time. I am able to do it at about 1/20th the speed Vinnie pulls it off at, up from 1/21st.