Who won the Weckl/Colaiuta/Gadd drum-off?

• Thread starter Jammin' Jamin 2112
  • Start date
J

Jammin' Jamin 2112

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln6b_nBM-V8

I know it wasn't a competition, but I was taken away by Vinnie Colaiuta's soloing. Such good hands and feet playing those fast (basically cut time compared to the other two guys), funky fills. I kept thinking he was going overboard and gonna lose count, but everytime he ends perfectly with a crash cymbal on the 1.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Vinnie is the master of knowing where he is. Steve is the master of you knowing where he is. And Dave is the master of "how the hell did he do that?".

J

Jammin' Jamin 2112

Just watch Vinnie's 4-measure solo starting at 7:02. Insane! Especially if he didn't have the planned out.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Vinnie is probably the most awe inspiring to me personally. I'm convinced there is absolutely nothing the guy can't do and I could sit and watch the fireworks all day long. But when the Gadd-father goes to that cow bell groove? Forget about it!! It's a groove so thick I turn green with envy. It's also when the crowd seem to be the most vocal. I reckon that says something.

Dave W, I like him....always have. He just doesn't excite me to nearly the same degree as the other two. Weckl leaves me thinking: 'what a great drummer' ......whereas the other two actually manage to send shivers down my spine. There's many great musicians that I love to bits. But my favourites, the best of the best in my eyes, always seem to have that same effect.

Personally, I'm just glad they did it......regardless of who "won" the thing. That clip is a joy for the ages.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I respect the three of them a) for putting things like this off in such a high pressure situation
(Buddy Rich memorial event, video filming, hardcore drumming audience (I guess)) and
b) for being (more or less :) ) creative in such an environment. Personally I find it quite
hard to manage to play reasonable solos in a drummer duett or trio. Much harder than
with other instruments in a real band context.

Brian

Gold Member
Just watch Vinnie's 4-measure solo starting at 7:02. Insane! Especially if he didn't have the planned out.
Serious chops. chaffees technique patterns, practicing the hand/foot combinations religiously should take you to that place without thinking about it too much.

rdb

Drumming's holy trinity. The whole thing is just awesome. I have the 2 DVD set of both shows, and the whole thing is amazing. The other show includes Louie Bellson, Gregg Bissonette, and Dennis Chambers.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
That's not what this was....at all.

First of all,this was the tail end of a Buddy Rich Tribute concert,evidenced by the presence of Buddys big band and Buddys daughter Cathy as MC.

Secondly,this was not a "drum off",which are competitions,which this clearly.....is not.

This was 3 of the best players on the planet,playing together in a pre- rehearsed series of solo's,patterns and collective playing as a unit.

This wasn't about who's better,and there clearly is no "winner" here,no trophy,no prize.Those guys weren't competing with one another,they were playing TOGETHER with one another.

Just 3 guys who have a great deal of mutual respect for each other,giving the audience some of their best solo's,and collective chops.

Context is everything.This was about entertaining an audience, who for the most part,"gets it",and expected the very best.....and got it.

Steve B

Arky

Platinum Member
Steve, great post!

Andy - great link! Both masters on their instruments.

Some 2 weeks ago I was at a drum event and somebody asked Dave Weckl about his performance at the Buddy Rich tribute concert - how it felt like.
Dave said 2 things:
1) He didn't have a long-time reputation at that time.
2) How it felt like? Imagine you're playing with 2 of the very best drummers out there. Imagine YOU were the 3rd drummer. That's how it felt. (The audience was grinning...) Must have been tough ;-)

longgun

Gold Member
That's not what this was....at all.

First of all,this was the tail end of a Buddy Rich Tribute concert,evidenced by the presence of Buddys big band and Buddys daughter Cathy as MC.

Secondly,this was not a "drum off",which are competitions,which this clearly.....is not.

This was 3 of the best players on the planet,playing together in a pre- rehearsed series of solo's,patterns and collective playing as a unit.

This wasn't about who's better,and there clearly is no "winner" here,no trophy,no prize.Those guys weren't competing with one another,they were playing TOGETHER with one another.

Just 3 guys who have a great deal of mutual respect for each other,giving the audience some of their best solo's,and collective chops.

Context is everything.This was about entertaining an audience, who for the most part,"gets it",and expected the very best.....and got it.

Steve B
I agree..............................would have been amazing to see in person.........................pure drumming excellence