Who uses 13" hats?

WuHan Solo

Too bad shipping stuff these days is so damn expensive, otherwise you could borrow my 13" New Beats for a while if you wanted to try them out.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have a set of ye olde Weckl with his big curly mullet era K/Zs.

Angry little hats! You can record and you don't need to mic them up
Yeah the KZ hats were really big I've never actually played those. I had some mismatched aax stage hats seems like the top was a stage and the bottom was a studio. Use 13 quick beats provided for me at a rehearsal space and they're OK but I wouldn't buy them if they were for sale. New beats or AA might be more to my liking

jda

I never had a pair of Quick Beats I liked. Had pair 14" for awhile and sold them. Once heard a fella in a bar restaurant using and his were the only pair I liked.
I refrain- the Quick beat top cymbal- was a beautiful cymbal- alone

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
Yeah the KZ hats were really big I've never actually played those. I had some mismatched aax stage hats seems like the top was a stage and the bottom was a studio. Use 13 quick beats provided for me at a rehearsal space and they're OK but I wouldn't buy them if they were for sale. New beats or AA might be more to my liking
I use 15" K Lights for most things they're a great all rounder, if I'm doing funk or anything that needs really fast aggressive hat work then the k/Zs come out.

They're underrated but they are like piccolo snares. Dated to the late 80s/early 90s

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I have a pair of the K Custom Hybrid 13.25" which I love. I was just able to start lightly gigging again after a couple of few years off due to some real fun back issues, and I have been rotating through a bunch of my cymbals.

I have mostly played live with a 16" A Thin over a 16" A Med-Thin or a set of 60s 14" A Light Hats, but the Hybrids are great for anything remotely modern sounding. Actually, they sound great for just about anything. They also don't sound tinny like some 13" New Beats I have played.

I guess I just talked myself into using them on this week's gigs.

pgm554

Platinum Member
I use 13 Zildjian EAK and they are a perfect balance for jazz and funk.C&W ,don't know.
I have many pairs of HH and these seem to be the most balanced.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I played 13 inch hats for many years. The hats I play at church are 13 inch Paiste Alpha Medium Hats. A few years ago I switched to 14 inch hats. Peace and goodwill.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I use 13 Zildjian EAK and they are a perfect balance for jazz and funk.C&W ,don't know.
I have many pairs of HH and these seem to be the most balanced.
I've wondered about older HH 13s
I listened to a couple of AA 13s on line and really liked them, but that's not the same as live playing.

lefty2

Platinum Member
, but the Hybrids are great for anything remotely modern sounding. Actually, they sound great for just about anything. They also don't sound tinny like some 13" New Beats I have played..
I had some 13 new beats several years ago I can't remember if they were actually a matched pair or if I picked them up separately, and a pair of AAX 13s that I did buy separately and it seems like the tinny sound was why I sold them.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I've been listening to the Zildjians online I like the hybrids and Ks the best.

jda

It's a low risk purchase- Shoot. Score/. : )

Only trouble I can see is------ you'll want to Renovate all the remaining Cymbal$ on your kit : to go along with them
that's called Cymbalholicitsism (where one single new purchase leads to many..

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
I am the most interesting drummer in the world. I don't usually use 13" hats but when I do....id use the 13 KZ's with a few Dos seques. 🍺.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I am the most interesting drummer in the world. I don't usually use 13" hats but when I do....id use the 13 KZ's with a few Dos seques. 🍺.
That is a most interesting statement😁😁😁

Stroman

Platinum Member
My first professional-level hats were 13" New Beats. I played and enjoyed them for many years. I sold most of my gear at one point and the hats went with everything else.

A while later, I began gathering gear again and I picked up a pair of Sabian AA 13" hats. I still have them, but I don't like them nearly as well as I liked the New Beats. They are ridiculously heavy. Closed tightly and played with a stick tip, they sound like a granite countertop. Open, they're very hi-pitched and kind of harsh. They don't sound terrible, but they aren't very nuanced.

I wouldn't mind my old New Beats back again, though. I really liked the 13" in that model.

Ruok

Silver Member
I still use 13” hats a lot and I own several pairs. Paiste 2002 Medium is one of my favorites. It’s too bad that Paiste dropped that size many years ago. The 13” 602 Heavy is also a favorite, but I don’t take them out much because of their rarity.

I love the 13” Zildjian Quick Beats. They sound a lot nicer than the 13” New Beat that I have. I sometimes put the Quick Beat top over the New Beat bottom and that combo sounds great too.

I use the 13s when I want a lower volume yet higher pitched hat. I noticed that I tend to prefer hats that get discontinued, for some reason. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ottog1979

Played a pair of Paiste Dark Crips 13's for a year on a kit in the practice studio. Someone else's kit & hats. Didn't like them - too weak, not enough beef when you want it.