Who likes dark themes for websites? Who doesn't care?

Jayson

Some prefer light so they can read the text, maybe most. However, I think another 33 percent can tolerate both and another 33 percent only like dark.

How do you all feel about this forum's theme?

Anyway, some - oddly enough - due to visual things, like dark.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I like a site that's visually pleasing, so the background doesn't matter as long as it works with the theme of the site and isn't difficult to read.

In my early site-building days (c1995) I tried red text on a blue background. My eyeballs are still vibrating!

I think this forum's look is good with the light background.

Bermuda

Peter256

Black background with white text is form over function. I dislike it and find it difficult to read. FWIW, I'm 65 years old. Just my 2 cents.

Black text on a light background is a must for me. But -- and I may be misunderstanding your question -- I do like dark themes. So on YouTube, for example, I prefer having the black matte or frame or whatever around the video, rather than the default white: I find it much easier to focus on the part I care about.

One Up One Down

If I'm on my phone, dark, because I have this theory (more of a fantasy) that the darker screen uses less batteries. I mean, I'm pretty sure it does but it's probably negligible. On the other hand it might make a difference. I could turn off bluetooth to save juice. But my smartwatch won't be connected. Maybe if I just keep chargers with me all the time and keep it plugged in I could manage. What a bother! I should upgrade my phone since it's like 6 years old ad doesn't perform that great any more. But that would cut into my drum fund...

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I have my screens switch to dark at night, or in low light conditions. It’s just easier on my eyes, can’t read a thing on dark themed sites in daylight. Light themed sites give the reader options, dark themed sites remove options as far as my experience has been. This site is good and user friendly as it is...so long as ad blockers let me see what’s been written, instead of giant ads. We’ve discussed this before....still annoying!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I like black text over a white background. I have a hard time focusing when it's anything different. Red over blue is the worst, yellow over purple is pretty awful also.

Jayson

I like dark if I make a site myself - but I can handle either one. Dark does seem easier on the eye - but some say white is.

Dark also has this mystique and attitude I like.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
When books and magazines and newspapers start going black with white writing I will stop reading. Dark is easier on the eye at times. Operating rooms have gone to light green scrubs because white became hard on the eyes oveer long operations. I just don't want to read all day like that. My iPhone has that choice by I choose not.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member

when I use to make presentations for research presentations that was often a dark room I’d use dark backgrounds but for teaching in bright classrooms I’d use dark for bullet points but wordy text I use white. Background lighting and how much text dictated it. I use to use colored fonts for graphs but because sone researchers color blind went back to bars, circles, etc

Last edited:

Jayson

when I use to make presentations for research presentations that was often a dark room I’d use dark backgrounds but for teaching in bright classrooms I’d use dark for bullet points but wordy text I use white. Background lighting and how much text dictated it. I use to use colored fonts for graphs but because sone researchers color blind went back to bars, circles, etc
Grey text, not white - is supposed to be better for dark websites. I have seen grey text on white - but it's too ghost-looking and unreadable.