Who Knew? Kiefer Southerland Band

I think from all those (son from) 'famous actor musicians', Kyle Eastwood is about the only one i can think of right now who produces something thats also actually worthwhile to listen to..

There's a slew of them: Russell Crowe, Keanu Reeves, Jared Leto, etc.

Can't say I'm impressed by any of their music, though.

If anything, I'm annoyed when actors, or any other type of celebrity, does this type of thing. Not only does the music they make tend to be bland and derivative, it undermines the talent of those who are making music that would and otherwise should have broader appeal.

There's a slew of them: Russell Crowe, Keanu Reeves, Jared Leto, etc.

Can't say I'm impressed by any of their music, though.

If anything, I'm annoyed when actors, or any other type of celebrity, does this type of thing. Not only does the music they make tend to be bland and derivative, it undermines the talent of those who are making music that would and otherwise should have broader appeal.

Wow, how does that happen? Bland? Derivative? Compared to what? Can't individuals have more than one talent at a time?
I say, let them bring it on. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Same for the listener.

..Not only does the music they make tend to be bland and derivative, it undermines the talent of those who are making music that would and otherwise should have broader appeal..

I completely agree with that..

Just because someone has a famous name as an actor or his/her father is famous as an actor and they have all the money to make whatever they want, is not meaning that they have to make whatever they want..

Some people have a big talent for certain things, and for other things just not..

Fact is that almost nothing what those (son from) 'actor-musicians' produce has any artistic value and basically only gets attention because of their famous (last) name..

Kyle Eastwood is still the only positive exception i can think of right now..

Johnny Depp....

Not sure I (truly) care what they do... I mean we let Madonna, Miley Cyrus, and Justin Beiber play......

What could a little Keanu Reeves and Keifer Sutherland hurt? I mean are they *really* that much of a threat to *real* bands?

In the end it all boils down to ticket and record sales doesn't it?

Can't individuals have more than one talent at a time?

They can, but it's rare, especially the talent required to become a professional based on merit and not celebrity.

Another issue I have with all this is the assumption that, because someone has a talent in one particular area, they're talented in other areas as well. I don't agree, and I think the concept of "talent" has been stretched a little thin.

They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

No argument there.

Same for the listener.

I can't and don't agree with that at all. We all lose when mediocrity prevails.

Some people have a big talent for certain things, and for other things just not.

True, the problem is we can't acknowledge that anymore. Everyone's a winner today. There are no losers.

I mean are they *really* that much of a threat to *real* bands?

The threat is not just to real bands, but to society in general, which becomes limited and narrow in its world view and is ultimately unable to expand its consciousness.

I have the same issue with celebrities delving into politics as I do here.

Paul Newman's Ceasar Salad dressing is obviously an exception to all of this - that stuff is delicious.

A number of years ago I got an American Musical Supply/AMS catalog in the mail, and I thought, "that guy on the front looks like Kiefer Sutherland." It was. Apparently he loves playing and collecting guitars.

While the guitar he's playing is most likely a replica of the 1942/43 Gibson J-45 owned by Buddy Holly, with Kiefer being a collector and also having the money to buy pretty much what he wants, it wouldn't surprise me if it's the real guitar. After all, Gary Busey owned it at one point. he bought it when he played Buddy Holly in "The Buddy Holly Story."

Johnny Depp....

Not sure I (truly) care what they do... I mean we let Madonna, Miley Cyrus, and Justin Beiber play......

What could a little Keanu Reeves and Keifer Sutherland hurt? I mean are they *really* that much of a threat to *real* bands?

In the end it all boils down to ticket and record sales doesn't it?
They are real bands. They practice, arrange gigs, play the gig, get paid. May not be their main income or vocation but they are real bands.

They are real bands. They practice, arrange gigs, play the gig, get paid. May not be their main income or vocation but they are real bands.

No doubt. And all the best to them. I just have a problem when popularity and recognition is based on celebrity and not merit.

Hey, I agree with you....lol. I don't have a problem with it at all. My only point was if we can survive a ts like Madonna, Miley Cyrus, and Justin Beiber, surely we can survive Keifer Sutherland having a band.

I thought it was cool when I first heard about Kevin Bacon and his brother having a band....with real practices and gigs...

He is/was married to Terry Kath's (original guitarist for Chicago) widow; maybe that got him jump started??

Someone thought there was room for Tommy Lee, Glenn Frey, Ice T, Henry Rollins, Mick Jagger, Eminem and David Bowie all to act without fear of them taking anything away from legitimate exponents of the craft. Hell, even Keith Richards and Elton John have had a go at it. I don't think much harm can be done by a few actors going in the other direction and strapping on guitars and playing music either.

What about someone like Kris Kristofferson, who has had a legitimate foot in each camp for decades? Should he simply pick a side, or remove himself from both art forms altogether?

I get the premise behind the "mediocrity prevails" argument, for sure. But the truth is, that horse bolted a long time ago. And it wasn't a few bored actors that contributed to it's demise either. The industry kicked that own goal all by itself ages ago.

Wow ?. Absolutely no disrespect to anyone’s opinions here , after all that’s what forums are for, ....but....Some kinda closed minds here, with. Smattering of music snobbery , and judgemanship ( is that even a word ? lol ) . So many thoughts on this I don’t know where to start . There’s all kind of breaks, nepotism and favors in every job/profession or hobby . But in the long run it’s the performance that will endure. If people don’t like their music they won’t listen . If you don’t do a good job you won’t last . I like what I like in music and I let my ears be the judge . Everyone out there is capable of judging for themselves what their ears like whether I agree with their musical tastes or not ( mine change often ). Its all opinion and personal taste when it comes to art anyway. A real band ? Well , what’s the criteria ??‍♂️. If you make music with others and people like it and get you get paid , I’d say your a real band . If you make music in your garage or basement and friends and friends of friends stop by to listen and tell you it sounds good and they enjoyed it , I’d say that’s a real band . It’s music,.....everyone ( EVERYONE) has the right to make some of it or st least try, if it’s good , people will listen whether it’s 50 or 50,000 listening . Maybe some of these actors or anyone else for that matter always wanted go into music and that didn’t work out and came back to it . Maybe there’s a little jealousy going on here also , I don’t know . If I’m honest , I’m a little jealous also that opportunities go to people , that seem to already have plenty . But hey that’s life , it happens in all professions , and all areas of life. Would it be cool to play out in front of more than 100 or so people all the time ( yes I have done this ) ..... absolutely , but i don’t need that to validate my music, me as a player or the fun and enjoyment I get from it. Hell I like Paul Newman’s dressing and Eastwood’s ( sr. And jr) music too...., that doesn’t mean others do . Unlike other jobs or professions and a lot of things , music or the making of it belongs to no one and everyone . Who am I to say that someone shouldn’t do it . If they suck , that’ll be evident and no one will listen . I don’t think there’s a single person here that wouldn’t take advantage to do with their money , what they want or take the opportunities their families name afforded them , especially when it hurts no one . And in the end you have to produce , and people will listen or they won’t . Just realized the book I’m writing here ?. Just that some of the thoughts expressed in this thread seem a little odd to me . Maybe it’s just me ??‍♂️?

Back