who is your favorite drummer in the world?

I had a lot of influences early, mostly in the "octave of toms" world. Being self taught, and a child of rock, I had little exposure to a lot of the "early" kings such as Krupa, Rich, and others of that era, and aped most of the 70's and 80's mondo kit drummers. Now in my late 50's, I am enamored with the subtleties of Manu Katche. I still am blown away with his work with Peter Gabriel and Robbie Robertson.

Do I have a favorite cell in my body-no, Not even a favorite neuron-one alone can't do much. So I feel about drummers. We are a collective-drummers. Comparing Ringo to Vinnie-any of the Vinnie's -seems silly. I go through favorites for the day, week, year in my journey but I really like all of them. Like there is only good and bad music there is only good and bad drummers-but no fear being good or bad doesn't seem to matter in being successful or popular. So an even playing field LOL.

Do I have a favorite cell in my body-no, Not even a favorite neuron-one alone can't do much. So I feel about drummers. We are a collective-drummers. Comparing Ringo to Vinnie-any of the Vinnie's -seems silly. I go through favorites for the day, week, year in my journey but I really like all of them. Like there is only good and bad music there is only good and bad drummers-but no fear being good or bad doesn't seem to matter in being successful or popular. So an even playing field LOL.
You forgot Carmine again @GetAgrippa ! :unsure: 😁

Mitch Mitchell. I reckon you could isolate any of his drum tracks, studio or live, and instantly know he was playing, such a unique style. There is no higher accolade than that. Of course Hendrix was No 1, but the Experience would have been half the band they were with a conventional drummer.

My favourite drummer is the sound. I LOVE the sound of the drums on Scuttlebuttin, Good times bad times, burn...the POUNDING deep down heart smashing THUD!

Cymbals are OK too...(I guess)

I forgot Time...LOVE the sound of the drums on Time (Pink Floyd)

I don't do favorites. I have many I like very much, but it's because there are so many I've listened to and learned from, in so many different genres and styles, that choosing only one seems exclusionary to both them and me. I'm appreciative that there are so many who speak to me, and who have inspired me to play drums.
I'm the same way with food, clothes, etc. There are too many examples and situations that any choice would vary.

And, yes, I am lots of fun at parties.

Phil Collins followed closely by Stuart Copeland

I purchased the Genesis album Duke when I was 16 and that record along with The Police - Zenyada Mendatta, inspired me
to play the drums.

Other favorites would be:
John Bonham
Neil Peart
Matt Chamberlan
Benny Grab
Steve Gadd
Dave Weckl
Vinnie Colaiuta
Brian "Brain" Mantia
Tim Alexander
Dave Grohl
Manu Kache
Jerry Merotta

Ringo.
Because of Ringo, I started playing drums. Because I started playing drums I ended up on some stages performing in my younger years.
Looking back, those moments are among some of the highlights of my life.

My first drum hero and still fav is Terry Williams Dire Straits. He was the reason for me to take drum lessons. Damn he reminds of Keith Moon.

I would love to have a go on his Alchemy drum kit. Ridiculous tom sizes and dozens of cymbals.
Yep. And the toms sounded freaking awesome..... What kind of black dots did he use.....?

Back