who here uses in-ear plugs?

evogel

I've been using the Vic Firth's which look to be very similar to the Vater's and the inexpensive Etymotic's.

The stuffiness bothers me so I ordered the Earasers. I thought that they provided 19db of reduction. I am hoping that they do the trick without the stuffiness and with enough protection, otherwise, I'll need to go the expensive route.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Vater ones are good. Found the Hearo ones to be ill-fitting, and the rubber is harder so they don't feel as good. Also found some "alpine" brand ones that are very similar to the vaters, just as good.

Also been curious about the earasers, but don't want to mess with the sizing. Let us know what you think of them.

porter

Platinum Member
Vater ones are good. Found the Hearo ones to be ill-fitting, and the rubber is harder so they don't feel as good. Also found some "alpine" brand ones that are very similar to the vaters, just as good.

Also been curious about the earasers, but don't want to mess with the sizing. Let us know what you think of them.

Yeah, the Hearos are a little uncomfortable. I have only a slight idea about ear size, but there are a lot less size complaints on the small Earasers than there are on the mediums, so hopefully those will work out.

lsits

Gold Member
I've been wearing the foam ear plugs for the past 15 years or so. I use the flesh-colored disposable ones from Hearos. They don't stand out on the gig. I can hear myself just fine when I sing (like singing with your finger in your ear). I can also hear the bass quite well. The only thing I ask is for the rhythm guitarist to set his amp next to the drum kit. He plays an open-back fender and I'm able to hear that ok. I don't even need a monitor mix. It might not be the most high fidelity set-up, but it works and saves my hearing (or what's left of it) from the high db's.

Road Bull

Silver Member
I always play with hearing protection.

For practice, I use shooting muffs. Nice, dual purpose, and I can take them off quickly to talk at normal volume.

For live settings, I use soft foam -30db earplugs. They are less cumbersome and I don't look like I am about to shoot the place up.

I couldn't imagine not wearing them. I would not play live without them. To me, its dumb not to use protection at the volumes we play. I love music, I love playing music, and I want to be able to hear down the road. I play fairly loud, on fairly loud cymbals, couple 24s and whatnot. Along with a loud Ludwig Bonham size eardrum destroying machine. Not to mention one of the two amps my bass player uses is a 400 watt tube amp. My guitarist has three 100 watt heads pushing several cabs. And we don't even go full tilt. But, it's close enough to make you feel it forcefully. Yeah, we don't do a lot of weddings and dinner jazz. And that's not to say that Jazz can't be loud. I remember checking out some cool jazz gigs in Tallahassee FL. at the old Waterworks bar. Man trumpets and saxes can be plenty loud, not to mention drums.

My first concert was when I was in like, sixth, or seventh grade. I convinced my parents to let me go see Metallica's Justice tour by myself. that was an eye opening, ear-splitting experience. From there on out, I always wore earplugs to shows and when I played drums. I am glad I learned early.

If you know someone, or if you think you are being cool not wearing protection, that's fine. You will just look quite the opposite when everyone has to repeat everything they say to you several times to the the message across, or they just stop trying to make conversation with you because it is exhausting to repeat themselves over and over again.

You don't really HAVE to protect your hearing, just the hearing that you wish to keep.

Good luck.

porter

Platinum Member
Got my Earasers, used them for a half hour. Good stuff. They have a pretty flat reduction to my ear, everything sounded nigh-identical. Like other reviews say, there's not a lot of dB reduction, but I think I'd be okay using them for jazz or rod things. Definitely not rock, metal, or constant rimshots. They do work really well under my headphones, though I still use a program called Boom to boost the volume for metal (my headphones are a little quiet & i prefer more song to drums mixing anyways).

The small size is perfect for me- I find the Hearos a little too big/uncomfortable. If you find those good sized, I guess the medium size Earasers are your deal. Recommended!

8Mile

Platinum Member
I picked up a pair of the ETY Plugs a few weeks ago and I love them.