Who has a centered cable hat setup?

ToneT

I owned the Pearl RH2000 for fifteen years until the cable snapped one evening. I was very bummed out that I would have to wait three months for a replacement cable! So, I purchased a DW9000 2-leg regular hi-hat and loved it. Still do. However, I missed the cable set-up and decided on buying the DW9502LB. I love it! I LOVE the fact that all you need is a drum key to replace the cable! The two mounting pieces provided allow you to mount it on any stand. The action is very, very smooth, and the extra spring tension range is just what I needed. The Pearl was smooth, too. However, for the price, Pearl should have included a mounting clamp. The DW needs some tape or tubing for the bottom cymbal hole to eliminate keyholing. Other than that one issue, I would recommend the DW to anyone.
I have mine right above my 13" and 14" toms, in the middle of my set. No more crossing over. No lagging issues for me, either.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Love that whole album!
I agree. It changed my understanding of what could be done on the drum kit. It just blew my mind. Cobham was 29 years old when he wrote & recorded the landmark album.

@Mastiff I hold it up as one of the “mountaintops” of double-bass playing. Something to aspire to. Enjoy your journey!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I agree. It changed my understanding of what could be done on the drum kit. It just blew my mind. Cobham was 29 years old when he wrote & recorded the landmark album.

@Mastiff I hold it up as one of the “mountaintops” of double-bass playing. Something to aspire to. Enjoy your journey!
I miss Tommy Bolin 😕

Rotarded

I have used a DW 9000 Remote HH (with a 8 foot cable) as a primary for 7 years. Hats usually between the 10-11 o'clock position depending on the kit. I have no problem doing everything I can on a regular HH stand, on the DW. I just recently (Monday) ordered a shorter cable for it.

DW cable HH.jpg

Last edited:

Tappa

When I set up my entire kit this is the configuration I prefer. I have three hi hats. One on the far left and behind me, one in the standard placement and a cable hat on the right just between the 6th and 7th tom and just under my main ride. Not sure the pics will show exactly.

Attachments

RickP

Gold Member
My local shop has the current Tama cable hihat and it is really outstanding but VERY pricey . Even with offsetting the cost of a regular hihat stand it is expensive.
I would love a cable hihat that has no lag like the Tama but I don’t want to forego my One of my Tama Classic stands to replace it with a much heavier stand to clamp the cable hihat too .

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Whatever happened to Bill Bachman's Remote Speedy Hat?
He stopped making them. I have one and it's great.

Right now the best remote hi hat by far is the Darwin by ACD Unlimited. Dennis' bass drum pedals are taking the metal world by storm and his remote hi hat blows all the major brands out of the water for playability and convenience.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
I've considered trying a centre hihat in the past, but I play too many random house kits to get used to such an unconventional setup.

Mastiff

Right now the best remote hi hat by far is the Darwin by ACD Unlimited. Dennis' bass drum pedals are taking the metal world by storm and his remote hi hat blows all the major brands out of the water for playability and convenience.
A quick search failed me. How do you buy these and how much are they?