Who Are The Worst Drummers That Are Good In Spite Of How Lousy They Are?

Not because they don't have "skills" (they do), but because they made so many absolutely fantastic iconic hits using minimalistic stylings....giving hope to scores of aspiring drummers. Here are a few of my favorites:

Hal Blaine
Russ Kunkel
Jim Keltner
Jim Gordon
Nick Mason
Bev Bevan

Isn't this a typical "Lars" answer thread?

FWIW, I like Lars. I think he happens to get the ? end of the stick far too much. He ain't Vinny, but he is better (bank account data) than you (and me!).

I'm curious to know what skills the OP thinks Ringo lacks.

Or many of these named players, most of which made a living at a time when there was no pro tools or studio trickery to cover-up bad playing.

There are few things harder (or more underrated) than recording a sparse drum arrangement in a full take. Your time, touch and groove need to be damn near flawless.

.."Amateurs" don't discuss "pros" here? Isn't there an entire forum dedicated to that here?..

..sorry about the whole thing!..

Thats why there is nothing wrong at all with your thread..

There are people here who wrote (or implied) that John Robinson has no creativity, that a 3 minute very tasteful solo from Steve Gadd is unbearable to sit out till the end, that Jojo Mayer knows nothing about Moeller and that Porcaro was not having the best stick control..

No worries, your thread is in perfect company at this place..!?

I’ve got no problem at all with this thread ??‍♂️. Could the title have been written a little clearer to convey your intended meaning to some here ? Maybe?,. But I pretty much got what you were saying . I think some of the responses to the OP in this thread are equally as disrespectful or mean spirited as some “THOUGHT” he was being .

And let’s face it ..... 99% of us ,.... if we were known or famous beyond our own small world in which SOME know us and think we’re good would be on the list , which is no problem at all if you really if you try to see what he’s saying . Come to think of it , that list would comprise 90% of all drummers famous or not.

I really don’t think he meant any disrespect or harm ??‍♂️.
Cut the guy a break lol !

Wow.

I can't believe the reaction.

Can a moderator please delete the thread?

I will show myself the door.

If you had only worded the thread title better. "Lousy" is a bit harsh if you're not actually trying to be negative.

Has anyone mentioned Peter Criss? His drum solos are not very good ( . . . . . . . bad) but his playing sounds good to me.
Those ghost notes!

Back handed compliments are not compliments. It feels like gossip to me.

"Amateurs" don't discuss "pros" here? Isn't there an entire forum dedicated to that here?

I really don't get what the problem is, it was really no big deal...it was about the idea of being good in spite of not being technically good...which, imo, is a good thing...an important thing to think about even.

Sorry I phrased the title of the thread in a comical way and not a serious way with proper sentence structure, sorry people don't get it, sorry about the whole thing!
Ricky, you didn't say anything that was in any way negative or critical. Too many of us take things too seriously. You have absolutely zero reasons to apologize or in any way defend yourself against imagined affronts to anybody's skill or abilities. Your premise was easily understood and bore no evidence of judgementalism or ugliness. (And so what if it did? Supposedly most of us fall somewhere on the scale of adult understanding. Supposedly.)

The whole debate about this thread reminds me of the awkward dance that we husbands negotiate when conversing with our wives: good-willed praises taken as criticisms; light-hearted comments interpreted as sharp jabs; innocent observations felt as personal references; yadda, yadda, yadda. On these forums, it can get so dicey that many people feel obliged to sanitize the life out of their observations and questions lest by any means somebody reading them might get their feelings hurt. Some people have simply given up on the whole effort of communication and don't post at all for fear of being misunderstood.

I hope Ricky is not one of them.

GeeDeeEmm

Ricky, you didn't say anything that was in any way negative or critical. Too many of us take things too seriously. You have absolutely zero reasons to apologize or in any way defend yourself against imagined affronts to anybody's skill or abilities. Your premise was easily understood and bore no evidence of judgementalism or ugliness. (And so what if it did? Supposedly most of us fall somewhere on the scale of adult understanding. Supposedly.)

The whole debate about this thread reminds me of the awkward dance that we husbands negotiate when conversing with our wives: good-willed praises taken as criticisms; light-hearted comments interpreted as sharp jabs; innocent observations felt as personal references; yadda, yadda, yadda. On these forums, it can get so dicey that many people feel obliged to sanitize the life out of their observations and questions lest by any means somebody reading them might get their feelings hurt. Some people have simply given up on the whole effort of communication and don't post at all for fear of being misunderstood.

GeeDeeEmm

I think the reason we maintain a modicum of respect here is that drummers are pretty friendly as a group. I doubt a guitar forum this big would get along this well, on average. Or if it did, it would require a lot more moderators.

GeeDeeEmm

Yup ! Agreed ??. Nothing to apologize for ??‍♂️

Attachments

• 79F6175A-2CD7-46D4-BDD5-17E6DB2DA155.gif
    79F6175A-2CD7-46D4-BDD5-17E6DB2DA155.gif
    660.3 KB · Views: 3
Like i said, no one needs to apologise for anything, but, just to put the thread and question a little in perspective, how would the thread feel when changed into..:

"Who are the worst forum members that...................................................in spite of how lousy they are?"

Anyone volunteers to be topic of serious discussion for that..?

:)

Like i said, no one needs to apologise for anything, but, just to put the thread and question a little in perspective, how would the thread feel when changed into..:

"Who are the worst forum members that...................................................in spite of how lousy they are?"

"Who are the worst forum members that write long poorly written did I say long diatribes with little punctuation and yet still can communicate in spite of how lousy they are?" I win!!! LOL And jazz cats are Good drummers that are lousy in spite of how worse they are..at being lousy.

Last edited:

Heck, that one would fit me perfectly!

GeeDeeEmm - The Worst Forum Member Who Can Drive A Pop/Rock Band In Spite Of How Lousy He Is.

I think I'll have that inscribed on a piece of bronze and mounted on a maple board edged with a drumstick split down the middle.

Now we're getting somewhere!

But a topic for "serious" discussion? No way, no how, no time! Life's too short for drama. ;) ;) ;) ;)

GeeDeeEmm

Well Sir George Martin said "He's not a technical drummer. Men like Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa would run circles around him".

Buddy Rich said "Ringo was adequate. No more than that."

Ringo himself said: "I became a drummer because it's the only thing I could do. But whenever I hear another drummer, I know I'm no good.....I'm not good on the technical things, but I'm good with all the motions, swinging my head, like."

So I guess whatever they are talking about.

Back