Who Are The Worst Drummers That Are Good In Spite Of How Lousy They Are?

Well Sir George Martin said "He's not a technical drummer. Men like Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa would run circles around him".

Buddy Rich said "Ringo was adequate. No more than that."

Ringo himself said: "I became a drummer because it's the only thing I could do. But whenever I hear another drummer, I know I'm no good.....I'm not good on the technical things, but I'm good with all the motions, swinging my head, like."

So I guess whatever they are talking about.

I like what these guys had to say about it

I'm sure Lars Ulrich will be mentioned if he hasn't been already, I know many much better drummers but for Metallica I wouldn't want any other drummer. his "style" definitely fits the band.

I agree...I could not imagine Metallica with anyone else. His clunky feel gives them there style...way different than Gar Samuelson and Megadeth, or Benante in Anthrax...or Lombardo and Slayer.

Granted, GAr, Charlie and Dave are better drummers

About the studio, we don't know unless we see them live. Then, the entire affair becomes one big party. So many don't play in studio, so we never know. Plus, "how good they are in spite of how lousy they are", makes no sense. that's like what's your favorite fast car in spite of how slow it is.

I agree...I could not imagine Metallica with anyone else. His clunky feel gives them there style...way different than Gar Samuelson and Megadeth, or Benante in Anthrax...or Lombardo and Slayer.

Granted, GAr, Charlie and Dave are better drummers

Plus Lars played a significant role in the song arrangements. he must have done something right

Another one not mentioned here is Stevie Wonder. He’s not lousy, but you realize he played drums on all his hits (I think) and he grooved his butt off. No one can cop his feel. At all.

Stevie played the drums too? Wow. That’s incredible, considering how few people, even pro drummers, had what it takes to lay down good tracks back in the 70s.

Plus Lars played a significant role in the song arrangements. he must have done something right

honestly, I feel like it is only on the past 5-7 years or so that people started finding fault with Lars...I saw them live on the RTL, MOP, AJFA and Black Album tours, and never remember him being bad live...I don't know anything about post Black album Metallica so I can not comment on those years

honestly, I feel like it is only on the past 5-7 years or so that people started finding fault with Lars...I saw them live on the RTL, MOP, AJFA and Black Album tours, and never remember him being bad live...I don't know anything about post Black album Metallica so I can not comment on those years

I think that part of the problem is that he is 5x the jerk Buddy Rich ever was, and only 1/10 the drummer Buddy was. People tolerated Buddy’s rage and abuse because he was an incredible player and showman. Lars is a decent drummer. That’s all. There are players here better than him, almost certainly. And his attitude problem is world-frickin-famous. NOBODY has stories about how kind he is, etc.. At least Buddy could be entertaining and warm, in between telling people to eff off. LOL

I think that part of the problem is that he is 5x the jerk Buddy Rich ever was, and only 1/10 the drummer Buddy was. People tolerated Buddy’s rage and abuse because he was an incredible player and showman. Lars is a decent drummer. That’s all. There are players here better than him, almost certainly. And his attitude problem is world-frickin-famous. NOBODY has stories about how kind he is, etc.. At least Buddy could be entertaining and warm, in between telling people to eff off. LOL

that is true...I was not thinking of the non-drumming aspects of him...

I think there are a few reasons for that. One is that I don't think, post-Black Album tour, he played nearly as much, for a variety of reasons. One was that the band was so big that they were able to take as much time off as they wanted—I mean, they were more than big enough to never work again, if that's what they wanted—so rather than the cycle of record-tour-record-tour that they'd been on for 10 years at that point, Lars and the rest could just relax. And I think that really affected his chops. And I'm not sure he ever pushed himself post-Black Album the way he had been.

The other thing is the ubiquity of people having videocameras in their pockets. I think his drumming did go downhill but, more important, now there's a dozen Zapruders filming every second of every concert, so whenever he makes a mistake, up on YouTube it goes.

I thought people would get it...I really did. Just goes to show you. I'll try not to be sarcastic or unclear again. If possible. :rolleyes:

I am a musician though, and a Beatle fan. Being sarcastic or saying things in a "funny" way is sort of second nature. But this is the internet, and I don't hang out here much, so you all don't know me or my intentions, etc....so my bad. I’m not saying that we’re better or greater, or comparing us with Ringo as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it’s all this.

Sarcasm sometimes isn't easy to spot in text especially among strangers.

Last edited:
I think there are two types of drummers. Firstly, you have the guys who put a band together when they were young and went onto have huge success. Those drummers were not necessarily technically astute musicians, just the guy who happened to pick up the sticks for the band and potentially filled in the gap. Let’s face it, if they see any good, or full of charisma, they would have been the guitarist or the lead singer. But they are all mates who have then grown together as a unit so you can’t possibly replace them and frankly why would you. Secondly, you have the technically skilled drummers who are just awesome and have learnt the drumming trade as an art form. We all know who both groups are but you just can’t put both together.

I think there are two types of drummers. Firstly, you have the guys who put a band together when they were young and went onto have huge success. Those drummers were not necessarily technically astute musicians, just the guy who happened to pick up the sticks for the band and potentially filled in the gap. Let’s face it, if they see any good, or full of charisma, they would have been the guitarist or the lead singer. But they are all mates who have then grown together as a unit so you can’t possibly replace them and frankly why would you. Secondly, you have the technically skilled drummers who are just awesome and have learnt the drumming trade as an art form. We all know who both groups are but you just can’t put both together.

and I also think that there is a 3rd category who are technically skilled guys who were mates as kids that also got together and ran up the ladder to stardom. Right away I think of Rush, Fates Warning and Queensryche to name a few. My first band was the same way (and heavily influenced by these 3 bands) and when we got together, our goal was to become highly skilled players and to gain some notoriety...

that is true...I was not thinking of the non-drumming aspects of him...

I mean, sure, there are other famous drummers with attitudes, like Bozzio. But Terry is 8x the drummer Lars is. And most really incredible players are humble, down-to-earth people.
and I also think that there is a 3rd category who are technically skilled guys who were mates as kids that also got together and ran up the ladder to stardom. Right away I think of Rush, Fates Warning and Queensryche to name a few. My first band was the same way (and heavily influenced by these 3 bands) and when we got together, our goal was to become highly skilled players and to gain some notoriety...

There’s also a middle ground too, groups like Dave Matthews Band. They were really young when they all met, but were the best players in their area (Charlottesville).

One of my first bands used to practice on a basement with no windows and only one light bulb, as we played sometimes the light bulb would come lose and go off, so we had to finish the song on basically total darkness save for some sliver of light coming from the (closed) door bottom. Nobody missed a note, I then made it a thing to play the next song blind folded, I only missed a crash here and there but mostly played it perfect, and it was very fast metal at the time. Granted at that point we had been rehearsing those songs for almost 2 full years everyday.

I have a question . I've listened to Metallica since I was a kid and have never seen them live or anything .but people bash Lars .I have not played the drums that long so I don't have a trained ear .what's up with this

Back