Who are the top three drummers you admire and why ?

Weave2112

Revisiting this thread, and I want to add another 3 drummers to it:

Charlie Watts: I have always loved his sound and style, and I realize just how much Charlie I can see in my own playing. From his phrasing and groove to his use of cymbals - just wonderful to revisit the Stones catalog and just listen to how the drums help shape the songs.

David Garibaldi: Someone pointed out to me recently that I tend to do a lot of hi-hat syncopation along with ghost notes on the snare and asked me where that came from. I'm sure I picked it up from listening to so much TOP with David Garibaldi over the years. What he does between the hats and snare has always inspired me.

Steve Gadd: Well, what can you say about Gadd? I strive to play as smooth and comfortably as he does (and I'm not even talking about the signature licks - just the relaxed feel and way that he drives the band).

NouveauCliche

Vinnie:

Probably the best mixture of musical innovation, ability and taste that exists with a career that no one will again have.

Hal Blaine:

The only other career that inspires as much as Vinnie: Being able to play exactly what's right for every song is an absolute gift.

Joe Morello:

I hate to say he's underrated - because everyone knows him....but his mixture of class, taste, style and ability are amazing. I just love Joe.

Just listing three is a crime through - there's so many others that I could spout off with legitimate reasons and personal influences and aside from Vinnie - the top three tends to shift around for me.

Bozozoid

Vinnie:

Probably the best mixture of musical innovation, ability and taste that exists with a career that no one will again have.

Hal Blaine:

The only other career that inspires as much as Vinnie: Being able to play exactly what's right for every song is an absolute gift.

Joe Morello:

I hate to say he's underrated - because everyone knows him....but his mixture of class, taste, style and ability are amazing. I just love Joe.

Just listing three is a crime through - there's so many others that I could spout off with legitimate reasons and personal influences and aside from Vinnie - the top three tends to shift around for me.
Hal Blaine is just so um...what word can I use..
Hmm?...there isn't one..gifted isn't even strong enough.

renardvert

Silver Member
Hard to pick but let's go with:

Tony Williams: since I heard his playing on "Nefertiti", I've been hooked big time. He is just one of the most inspiring, musical players ever.

Steve Gadd: The most addictive groove I've ever heard. He has perfect taste, he lays low when needed and also can get the fireworks out if necessary. Unbelievable musical giant.

Vinnie Colaiuta: He plays everything perfectly. I love how exciting and risky his playing can get sometimes. And he never seems to repeat himself. Endless vocabulary.

Spreggy

Silver Member
I've always considered Phil Collins and Manu Katche as particularly brilliant voices on the drum set. Moon, too. Nobody plays like him, and Buddy Rich liked his playing. But now I'm discovering the jazz greats and they're just killing my perspective. The genre is just so much more musical and artistic imho, jazz asks much more of you as a drummer. For instance, I'd enjoyed watching Neil Peart's solo evolve over the years, but it was all variations of the same Pieces of Eight solo. Great stuff. But, someone recently released a book of Philly Jo Jones solo transcriptions, and it's 380 pages long! Then add the unwritten, constantly interactive job of comping with the rhythm section to support a soloist and you've got a high bar of creative demands.

1) Mitch Mitchell - I was big into Hendrix when I started playing. Mitch's style was so flowing and magical to me. I tried to imitate some of his style, but couldn't even get my head around it at the time. He's still one of my favorites.
2) John French - His unruly syncopation was my biggest influence for years playing in arty garage bands. He's the most creative rock drummer I've ever heard.
3) Philly Joe Jones - There's so much great drumming from this era, but Philly Joe is my favorite. It's all about style.

J-W

JD Beck
JD Beck
and JD Beck

Because he seems to have very loyal following. If you don't agree, you couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited: