Who are the top three drummers you admire and why ?

Aboulger116

3? Oh this is hard.

1. John Bonham. Reason probably not necessary.
2. Jimmy Chamberlin. So effective and unique.
3. Buddy Rich. Who doesn't like Buddy Rich?

Honorable mention Leonard Haze. Former SF bay area drummer for Y&T, incredible right foot.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

3? Oh this is hard.

1. John Bonham. Reason probably not necessary.
2. Jimmy Chamberlin. So effective and unique.
3. Buddy Rich. Who doesn't like Buddy Rich?

Honorable mention Leonard Haze. Former SF bay area drummer for Y&T, incredible right foot.
me...for many reasons...just sayin'. There are some of us out there

BruceW

Ringo. He cemented my fascination with drums.

Peart. He allowed me to imagine what is possible as a drummer.

Sucherman. Having met him and had a master class with him, he is just that...all class. His playing is amazing, and he always looks like he's having the best time of anyone while he's playing. He's infectious.

AZDRUMZ

1). Gabe Helguera (I PREVAIL) - made me realize that metal doesn´t have to be played on an 8 piece kit with a shit ton of cymbals.
2). Jay Wineberg (Slipknot) - has a better sound than joey IMO, and he followed in his father's path.
3). Matt Ochoa (Dirty Heads) - i like his beats, very easy to play, and they go well with the DH´s music

Mongrel

Silver Member
Hal Blaine
Jim Keltner
Russ Kunkel
Honorable mention: Ringo Starr

Took me years to realize it, but these guys probably covered more tunes that I enjoyed growing up than any other three drummers.

But *why* were these guys special? Aside from playing on a thousand hit records...they made drumming approachable to a kid starting out. NOT saying the parts were necessarily simple to play...but they were easy to relate to and a kid with no training could hack along to the song without being totally intimidated and giving up any hope of every being able to play.

Just a whole lot of meat and potatoes drumming there.

4piece4peace

Tucker Rule (Thursday)
Jimmy Chamberlin (Smashing Pumpkins)
Stephen Perkins (Jane's Addiction)

I find that these three drummers have the ability to play chops that are fun to listen to as a drummer yet they manage to never step on the song they are playing for but enhance it. Best of both worlds.

- Ringo. What else is there to say? A rocking beat, weird haircuts, obvious fun, and screaming girls. I remember asking my dad on that Sunday night in 1964, "Why would somebody wear their hair like that, Daddy?" "It's just a style," he replied. Not to me. It was new, different, exciting, and DANGEROUS. . I'll never forget how those cymbals swayed back and forth on those skinny little Ludwig cymbal stands. Absolutely entrancing. And dynamite waiting to explode.

Agree 110%. There's a strong argument to say that Ringo is the best. He is the ONLY drummer to have carried the herculean burden of delivering those jewels of songs to the world. Whoever played the drums for the Beatles simply could not f*ck up. Ringo NEVER fu*ked up.

Acid test: can you think of a single Beatles song where another drummer might have made the song better?

Video:
(Flashy drummer Brandon Khoo explaining to a baffled crowd why Ringo is amazing).

As for that John Lennon quip, "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles", he never said it...

Last edited:
All for VERY different reasons:

• Gergo Borlai - the most poly-dextrous and accomplished technician on the planet. Very musical as well; not just a machine like Thomas Lang.
  • John Bonham - because John Bonham IS the drums. I'm also a huge fan of Ian Paice but because I play more in Bonham's style, I'll go with Bonham.
  • Ringo Starr - see earlier reply to a post. This isn't just "drumming"; it's composition...

Surely you kidding ?
Didn't do an awful lot with the kick-drum: didn't tend to incorporate doubles or triples into his patterns; mostly the speed of the hands with the kick-drum just beating in time.

Also, I'm not a jazzer; perhaps if I was, my opinion might be different...

Saw him live at Warwick University a short while before he died. I went round the back to get his autograph; he gave me his autograph but scowled at me while he was writing it. I asked him why he had switched from Slingerland to Ludwig (or vice-versa; I can't remember) and he just scowled at that too.

That has no bearing on my thoughts of him as a player - I knew he was grumpy and unpleasant and I delete that from my critical appraisal.

gmiller598

I have plenty I like but I'll name 3 that when I hear their name the first thing I think about is how I wish I could play half as well as these guys.

1. Stanton Moore - the guy grooves like nobody's business.
2. Steve Smith - Nevermind the Journey stuff, hearing him play jazz just resonates with me
3. Clayton Cameron - I've never seen anyone use a set of brushes like this guy. His playing with Tony Bennett on MTV Unplugged changed the way I look at playing drums.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I have plenty I like but I'll name 3 that when I hear their name the first thing I think about is how I wish I could play half as well as these guys.

1. Stanton Moore - the guy grooves like nobody's business.
2. Steve Smith - Nevermind the Journey stuff, hearing him play jazz just resonates with me
3. Clayton Cameron - I've never seen anyone use a set of brushes like this guy. His playing with Tony Bennett on MTV Unplugged changed the way I look at playing drums.
dude...I like hearing Steve Smith talk about the drums as much as him playing. I have been to 3 great clinics with him over my time, and I left with my head spinning every time. Him, and Peter Erskine are just awesome to hear at a clinic...

gmiller598

dude...I like hearing Steve Smith talk about the drums as much as him playing. I have been to 3 great clinics with him over my time, and I left with my head spinning every time. Him, and Peter Erskine are just awesome to hear at a clinic...
I've never seen him give a clinic other than a concert with Buddy's Buddies at PASIC one year. Either '99 or '03 in Columbus. I also sat directly behind him AND Freddie Gruber at a Peter Erskine night time concert at PASIC in Columbus.

I was looking forward to actually seeing him play with Journey this summer and then they fired him before the pandemic so I guess it's not in the cards. I love the Blue Organ Trio stuff he did with Tony Monaco. I would love to see them do a show around town someday.

wraub

...I may want to amend these later...
But, i'm going with...

Bill Bruford- for snare sound, note placement, and intention
Pierre Moerlen- for creativity and intensity
Joe Morello- For "Blue Rondo a la Turk"

.....so many more it's not fair...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I've never seen him give a clinic other than a concert with Buddy's Buddies at PASIC one year. Either '99 or '03 in Columbus. I also sat directly behind him AND Freddie Gruber at a Peter Erskine night time concert at PASIC in Columbus.

I was looking forward to actually seeing him play with Journey this summer and then they fired him before the pandemic so I guess it's not in the cards. I love the Blue Organ Trio stuff he did with Tony Monaco. I would love to see them do a show around town someday.
oh man...behind Smith and Gruber would have been awesome...just to soak in the greatness!! I remember that Erskine show too!!

saw Smith in clinic in Mees Hall at Capital U one year...only like 35 people there (?), and we just had an open discussion with him for 2 hours.

Saw Erskine t OSU for their Jazz DAy's thing back inthe late 2000's with some of my students. Funny story: afterwards, we were all talking to him in the lobby during the meet and greet, and one of my students sold him 3 band subs. We have pics in the band room of Erskine holding the band subs with a thumbs up....great guy!!!

Skyking

Ringo! From the early hits to Abbey Road his drumming is spot on. How many records did he help sell? How many drummers did he launch?
Dave Clark. Same as above but a different, more in your face, sound, and yeah the Red Sparkle on those Rodgers was awesome. He launched me.
Big 3 way tie for third place...Danny Serephine, Jon Bonham > These guys had the chops. Michel Shrieve for best performance ever, with Santana at Woodstock. Ever! Such excellence.