White heads on the bottoms......?????

NouveauCliche

When I first started playing in the 60s everyone had white heads on the bottom of their toms. Now it seems most everyone uses clear. I'm considering going back to the white because I just like the look. Never really thought about it until now, but that's going to change the sound since white are thicker ply. Right? So what can I expect from the sound? Less resonance and more thump? The toms will sound "dead"? Any thoughts on this or am I just bored?
I used coated heads on the top and bottom of my set when I would crank it up into jazz ranges because I found that when I had clear bottom heads I would get a slightly sharper more pingy sound than if I had a coated / clear and any warmth is welcome at those high, high notes.

I never cared for it at medium or low ranges though.

Here's a whole video on coated resonant heads:

C.M. Jones

I used coated heads on the top and bottom of my set when I would crank it up into jazz ranges because I found that when I had clear bottom heads I would get a slightly sharper more pingy sound than if I had a coated / clear and any warmth is welcome at those high, high notes.

I never cared for it at medium or low ranges though.

Here's a whole video on coated resonant heads:

Great video, man. I always approve of Sounds Like a Drum content. This guy knows his stuff.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
When I first started playing in the 60s everyone had white heads on the bottom of their toms. Now it seems most everyone uses clear. I'm considering going back to the white because I just like the look. Never really thought about it until now, but that's going to change the sound since white are thicker ply. Right? So what can I expect from the sound? Less resonance and more thump? The toms will sound "dead"? Any thoughts on this or am I just bored?
They don't have to be thicker but they are coated which dampens some.

Ron_M

If you want to keep things consistent, but want the white, get a smooth white reso in the same thickness. The smooth white polyester film is different than the clear (at least Remos is), but I doubt you'll notice any difference, using it as a reso.

iCe

Benny Greb explains this on his 'The Art and Science of Groove' DVD. It allows him to tune his drums a bit lower and because of the coating on both heads you get (like stated before) some extra muffling and reduced overtones. It's a specific sound and if you like it go for it. Or just try it out :)

gbphantom

I've been using G2's over G1 (both coated) on all of my toms for a couple of years now. I play in a two-piece so I was looking for something to carry a little more low end without getting boomy and bloated and that has seemed to do the trick. If I'm not mic'd up they seem to get a little more lost in the mix without the added attack of clear heads, but that is a pretty rare occasion. They are also Mahogany drums for reference.