WHISKEY DRINKERS?

The Shepherd

I always wanted to kiss the Green Fairy and try absinthe.
I've drank it a few times, tastes pretty awful....like anise but strong. I wouldn't have any more than four shots of it as advised by a friend who drinks it a lot.. It has a different buzz that's noticeable but not overly so.

I did the 2oz absinthe, sugar cube, spoon and water thing. It was good so I asked the wife if she wanted one. So, I mixed up two more and she hated it, so I drank hers too. Now I'm 6 shots in and at 75% alcohol, getting shitfaced quickly. With the funny buzz and high booze content, I agreed with my buddy. Some is good but there can be too much of a good thing sometimes.

The hangover from the absinthe was something else. Worse than a port and red wine headache. Probably another good reason not to have more than 4oz in a night.

The Shepherd

WINK! I haven't had that in ages and ages. I heard they still sell it in Newfoundland.

Vodka and wink was an old go-to. Ahhh the memories........

SVBJECT

Absinthe and the green fairy thing are different. One - absinthe is a strong drink (typically 55%-85%), secondly it was traditionally used to make wormwood consumption easier, as it's a carrier for the psychoactive properties in the wood. There's a max wormwood content on bottles coming into UK, I assume US and many other countries are the same, but you can still buy absinthe at silly strengths just with 0% or trace amounts only of wormwood. I once had full wormwood absinthe at an importers fair, they let me taste two absinthe's and then the thirds was brought from under the counter with the preface "If you want to import this, you're going to have to wait until we can prove its legal,". It was NOT legal!!! Had a literal whole branch of wormwood stuck in the bottle. I don't remember much, but then again I was several hours into a booze fair already....

Vodka was my teenage I-cannot-drink-it-anymore stuff. Kinda why I got onto whisky actually; as a kid, it was the next cheapest spirit and then I worked up from the awful stuff to good stuff. I got over my vodka aversion when I viewed a spare room in a Polish flat and it became blindingly apparent I would not be moving in unless I had some shots with them.

pgm554

Platinum Member
This happened to my brother in law. It was more than enough to scare him into never drinking agan
I hadn't seen my bud in years ,came back to visit my hometown and he told me how he and another friend drank two quarts of gin in a drinking contest.
He passed out ,ended up in the hospital and nearly died.
Now he has to take insulin for the rest of his life.
(oh yeah,he was like 25)
One thing about smoking dope ,nobody has of yet to OD from it.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
228999222_10160014998249881_9046913940062190243_n.jpgMan all this talk of booze I had to have me a gin and tonic this past weekend. I had two drinks which I enjoyed thoroughly. Yeah I wanted a third but I know better. So that will be it for at least two weeks. Although tonight it's our 35th wedding anniversary so I know I'll have just one drink (since I'm driving). I can't believe I remembered the date a week earlier but forgot all about it this morning -dagnabit. She kept saying hey lets go out to eat tonight-I'm like no I'll cook then she reminds me of the date and special occasion=35 years. I've been married to her over half my life now-got married at 31. After 35 years my wife deserves several shots.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I have nothing to add to this conversation except that I know the word origin of booze.

It's a play on the whole spirits thing. I've got boo's

SVBJECT

I have nothing to add to this conversation except that I know the word origin of booze.

It's a play on the whole spirits thing. I've got boo's
The interplay thematically and conceptually between the specific words, and those used to describe them, of "spirit" as in a ghost and "spirit" as in a drink, you are not too wrong (in terms of they way the Scottish talk about whisky aka the water of life, and things within the surrounding of it, such as the angels share, and the personality of spirits) they are very much looked upon with personification and an air of mystical intangibility....but I think you're being facetious :ROFLMAO:

WallyY

Platinum Member
The owner of my club tasked me with finding a tabletop so the signatures of the people who chose the barrel wouldn’t get smudged.

I chose a 20” clear Evans of course.

Attachments

• CF0455D1-CD51-4F59-827E-4F9306CCD323.jpeg
    CF0455D1-CD51-4F59-827E-4F9306CCD323.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 5

SomeBadDrummer

SomeBadDrummer

View attachment 107118Man all this talk of booze I had to have me a gin and tonic this past weekend. I had two drinks which I enjoyed thoroughly. Yeah I wanted a third but I know better. So that will be it for at least two weeks. Although tonight it's our 35th wedding anniversary so I know I'll have just one drink (since I'm driving). I can't believe I remembered the date a week earlier but forgot all about it this morning -dagnabit. She kept saying hey lets go out to eat tonight-I'm like no I'll cook then she reminds me of the date and special occasion=35 years. I've been married to her over half my life now-got married at 31. After 35 years my wife deserves several shots.
After 35 years your wife deserves a MEDAL! :ROFLMAO:

just kidding and Happy (belated) Anniversary!

A J

To be labeled “straight bourbon”, the mash bill must be at least 50% corn, and it must be aged at least 2 years in a charred oak barrel. To be a straight rye, the mash bill must be at least 50% rye, plus the 2 years in the charred oak barrel. Bourbon drinkers often prefer single barrel (not single malt; that’s a Scotch thing), because said barrel has been selected by professional tasters and connoisseurs to be better than other barrels of the same lot. It’s the cream of the crop, so to speak.
I like bourbon.

Cheap: Old Crow
Really Cheap: Ten High
My Favorite: Wild Turkey 101

acsunda

I literally live in Bourbon County, Kentucky. It is a law that I must enjoy good bourbon.

I prefer Buffalo Trace, myself. Other favorites include Woodford Reserve, the occasional Maker's Mark, and I have a step-brother who works at Castle & Key, and got me a bottle of their first batch of bourbon which was lovely.

Macarina

Silver Member
I literally live in Bourbon County, Kentucky. It is a law that I must enjoy good bourbon.

I prefer Buffalo Trace, myself. Other favorites include Woodford Reserve, the occasional Maker's Mark, and I have a step-brother who works at Castle & Key, and got me a bottle of their first batch of bourbon which was lovely.
Castle & Key?

Do tell.