Whiplash! (The Movie)

Jayson

A lot of people have said the instructor's method of teaching drums wasn't the way to go. Also, some think it's a horrible movie - but others love it, though not sure if they agree with the instructor's philosophy. Anyway, I liked the movie - but I disagree that "never telling anyone something positive" is a way to motivate - but, on the other hand, I don't think people should be rewarded for barely trying or doing badly.

If I remember correctly, there is lots of previous dialog on the movie here in other threads. You might want to read them. Interesting stuff.

Personally, I liked the movie very much. I didn't take it too seriously, as some did. I found it very interesting, and I loved the music in the movie. Thanks for reminding me of it. Time to watch it again.

I enjoyed it, but it’s a tale for those who have never been in a band and don’t know how a bandleader works.
The true mystery is: who plays the drumming soundtrack? Hint: It’s not the actor.

Yeah - I forgot who it is, but it's definitely not the actor.

As a matter of fact, there are some Major flubs in filming where they don't bother to have what the actor is doing mimic what the actual track has. But, again, I didn't take it too seriously. I found the movie fun, interesting, and the sound track was great.

Someone mentioned Whiplash ... i'm so gonna re-watch this movie tonight!

I absolutely loved this film.

Non-drummers/musicians can sometimes ignorantly assume that drumming in particular only involves mindlessly whacking the instrument any old way, so I liked how it portrayed just how much goes into drumming by highlighting techniques and the fine details such as "rushing and dragging" tempo's .. etc Some watchers must have gotten a new found respect for drummers for just how much time, hard work and skill that is needed to become a drummer.

Anybody know where the movie can be watched again? Is it on Netflix? Amazon?

It's pretty hokey and completely unrealistic in many ways. But it's a movie about drumming from this decade and I guess I'm desperate enough to see young people exposed to drumming that I'm willing to look past that stuff and be happy it was made and got attention.

By the way, the lack of realism about drumming (like when he's practicing uptempo and his hands are bleeding... what?) is the smallest of my complaints. Movies never get the details right. Whatever you see portrayed about any job or endeavor, it's always messed up. We just notice it more because it's something we know intimately enough to recognize it immediately.

Definitely very unrealistic.

But, I can still find positive things about it.

- It's about Music and the pursuit of it.
- It shows that music is Hard and takes a Great deal of Work.
- It shows that surviving is Rough. If you think you are good, there is always someone around the corner who is better.
- It's about - mastering something.
- Some of it is about the Art of Drumming.
- It has a great soundtrack.

But, yeah, the speed thing is awful - and 180 from reality. No one builds speed that way. No one. Ever.
But, I don't let it and other aspects drive me crazy. I find that movie, overall, very enjoyable.

Comic movies are pretty dumb and not resembling reality, but people still enjoy them.
I'll take a Whiplash movie over another comic movie any day.

the lack of realism about drumming (like when he's practicing uptempo and his hands are bleeding... what?) is the smallest of my complaints.

LOL!! I was just thinking of that scene! The band-aid literally exploded off his hand as blood shot out like a geyser! :LOL:

Still though, stuff like that does happen in the world of drumming. I mean, who hasn't sliced a finger or popped a blister and bled all over their pants and drum kit before? Realistically though, IIRC, that exploding band-aid injury was on his right hand but in a spot that there is absolutely 0 contact with the stick ever. There couldn't have been a blister there so I guess they were trying to say his vein just exploded? Had to roll my eyes and just enjoy the movie after that.

Obviously, competely unrealistic, and I hope that what it was meant to be or they completely missed the mark.

What's left then though isn't much of a movie at all.

In regard to blisters and blood............you wouldn't ever be able to tell that I play the drums from looking at my hands. I have slightly thicker skin on my left hand finger tips from guitar playing and that's the only sign I play any musical instrument at all.

ugh.that movie was awful. In my circles, the people who like that movie were ALL non drummers, and most of the drummers I know thought it was just stupid.

Drumline was the same way....

I have had soooo many of my non drummer friends and parents of students almost come to tears when they asked me about that movie (and Drumline) and I said "man, that was awful". They are always like "but isn't that what you all go through?" "Wasn't the drumming great in that movie?"

sorry....no

The only thing in that movie that makes it worth watching are the one-liners when the teacher gets pissed off.

I had a jazz band instructor sort of like him. We were playing Louie Louie one day and he kept doing the "too fast, too slow" thing. He asked me to pick up the pace again after telling me to slow it down for like the 10th time. I played a blast beat for him. No more complaining.

I have had soooo many of my non drummer friends and parents of students almost come to tears when they asked me about that movie (and Drumline) and I said "man, that was awful". They are always like "but isn't that what you all go through?" "Wasn't the drumming great in that movie?"

Come to tears, lol?

The only thing in that movie that makes it worth watching are the one-liners when the teacher gets pissed off.

Stress is something needed and missing from some drummers - but someone who NEVER gives praise to the drummer - isn't Kosher. Well, I figure even a drill instructor will eventually compliment someone doing well.

While the no praise thing was over the top, people should Still be able to relate. Forget the music setting - I personally have observed many situations in life, both personally and with others, where there was a challenging situation related to how someone approached instruction or discipline in the absence of significant positive reinforcement. It Is real - it's just a tad over the top in this movie. :)

This movie is pretty absurd, and I¨m not surprised the general public and hobby musicians OUT of USA believe this is possible, but in USA I¨m pretty surprised that even general public could like it.

To start how do you think a teacher could do those things in a PRIVATE or even PUBLIC University?, he would be fired after the first day, the parents of the students (or the students themselves) would file tons of law suits against the teacher and the school.

There are numerous other reasons why it is absurd, I have the impression the people doing the script (and other responsables for the film) don¨t know the motivations, subjects of study, etc. of a Jazz student in University.

Very uncool movie...

I don't think i'd like to watch your version of the film thats for sure - the drummer happily practicing having a swell time, no sweat, a nice teacher .... that would be boring as hell.

One of the best thing about the entire movie was the teachers intimidating over the top character and his relationship with the drummer causing him to walk on eggshells, portraying the pressure that he was putting on him, along with his memorable quotes throughout the film. That's what made it!

The movie is exaggerated for entertainment purposes therefore it shouldn't be taken sooo serious.

Last edited:
The whole point of a movie is to temporarily escape reality. All movies are exaggerated, even ones based on fact. Since the writer and director aren't there, they are given artistic license to make the movie entertaining. Same thing you jazz cats do when you improvise a common tune. You put your own spin on it and are there to entertain.

Not everything has to be 100% serious 100% of the time.

People need a break from reality. This is why we read fiction, go to the movies, visit amusement parks, paint, watch car racing, play sports, and even listen to music. None of this stuff is really important, life can go on without all of it.

Back