Which song is your "Mustang Sally" song?

2 for me. Sweet Home Alabama, and Rocking in the Free World. Ughh, it just goes on and on.

Another one that is getting there, at a jam I go to, this one guitar player likes to do Red House at 1/2 speed and takes about 6 guitar solos.

2 for me. Sweet Home Alabama, and Rocking in the Free World. Ughh, it just goes on and on.

Another one that is getting there, at a jam I go to, this one guitar player likes to do Red House at 1/2 speed and takes about 6 guitar solos.

If you sing Sweet Home Alabama in the voice of Elvis, the song is actually quite enjoyable.

Which is my crappy song that everyone likes to hear? Why, Mustang Sally of course :p

But to answer your actual answer, I love songs like Stairway and Freebird, although they are often considered overrated. I'd love to play Stairway live someday.

Sounds like a conversation I had not too long ago, about playing it like you mean it and stop simplifying songs to get by! Wasn't received well at all.

Yep. I think if a song is played well, the joy comes from simply playing it. You don't actually have to enjoy the song as well, although that does make the experience even better.

Bermuda

There was two songs that I did, but couldn't stand either, Poison-Every Rose has it's thorn, and John Mellencamp-Jack and Diane. I guess nothing really wrong with either but both just too sappy for me. Sweet home Alabama or any Lynyrd Skynyrd song for that matter comes in third.

I have no problem with any of the songs themselves. Just certain ones are annoying to play now. Ever since I started playing Whip It in my band 8 years ago, it has been a constant earworm. My ex used to get annoyed because multiple times a day, the song would pop into my head (still does, but she doesn't have to hear it anymore, haha), and without even realizing, I would, out loud, hum that guitar part in the verse... "hm hm hm hm hm... crack that whip!". It haunts me.

I have no problem with any of the songs themselves. Just certain ones are annoying to play now. Ever since I started playing Whip It in my band 8 years ago, it has been a constant earworm. My ex used to get annoyed because multiple times a day, the song would pop into my head (still does, but she doesn't have to hear it anymore, haha), and without even realizing, I would, out loud, hum that guitar part in the verse... "hm hm hm hm hm... crack that whip!". It haunts me.

Those Devo songs sure are catchy. I'm that way with Freedom
Of Choice too.

I love Mustang Sally. There is so much space, and when the band is really "on" I can feel the groove almost as if its being played in slow motion. For me the overplayed one in my last few bands would be Brickhouse.

Teenage Kicks...bleurgh what a load of shit

I've never played it. I've just heard like, every single cover band in the UK play it. And it's probably THE worst song by the Undertones. Quite possible the worst punk song of all time in my eyes. Just....just.............turd

In no particular order of the amount my soul dies every time I play them:

Brown Eyed Girl
Stuck In The Middle
Summer of 69
Sweet Home F*cking Alabama (I live in the middle of England why!)
Sex on fire
Mr Brightside
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Johnny B Goode
Hound Dog

I get bored of playing Frank Zappa's 'Black Page'. I mean it's an easy song but like, every band covers it! Still it's a good one for getting them up dancing.

We did St Alfonso's Pancake Breakfast for a change one night and it bombed. Bride and Groom were livid!

Lesson learned, play what they wanna hear :)

One song that I can't seem to get away from in any band I get to play for is Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl".

And you'd think I would've met a cover band that could do the tripleted "sha la la la" part towards the end.

I like Mustang Sally. Brown Eyed Girl is the one that makes me cringe. I just hate it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. There's a good reason why.

I've probably played "creep" like a thousand times.

Notable mention: literally almost anything by Zepp. Hate playing that stuff.

Especially Black Dog & Rock n' Roll.

I get bored of playing Frank Zappa's 'Black Page'. I mean it's an easy song but like, every band covers it! Still it's a good one for getting them up dancing.

Funny, I don't even know this song. Maybe if I heard it.

Lots of honorable mentions for this one.

Sweet Home Alabama - for the loss.

There it goes again....

I actually really dig the way our band does MS. We play "Brown Eyed Girl" damn near every night, sometimes twice. Hey it goes over well, and we do the "Sha La La" stuff. We do "Sweet Home Alabama" and I don't mind that either, the people hoot and holler.

The only song I take issue with is The Grateful Dead's "Touch of Gray".

If there was ever a song that can clear a bar, in my world, it's "Touch of Gray"

Fact: For 99% of women, Grateful Dead music is kryptonite :)

They scatter.

How could I have forgotten about that one?

In no particular order of the amount my soul dies every time I play them:

Brown Eyed Girl
Stuck In The Middle
Summer of 69
Sex on fire
Mr Brightside
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Johnny B Goode
Hound Dog

I feel your pain.

Yep. I think if a song is played well, the joy comes from simply playing it. You don't actually have to enjoy the song as well, although that does make the experience even better.

Bermuda

I agree. I played in a covers band whose repertoire consisted of pretty much all the songs on my personal "banned" list; I stood it for 3 weeks before my soul died. I'm in another covers band now who play a fair few of my least favourite songs but I don't hate it because the chaps do three-part vocal harmonies and, unlike the first covers band, they're really rather good.

I agree. I played in a covers band whose repertoire consisted of pretty much all the songs on my personal "banned" list; I stood it for 3 weeks before my soul died. I'm in another covers band now who play a fair few of my least favourite songs but I don't hate it because the chaps do three-part vocal harmonies and, unlike the first covers band, they're really rather good.

That's about how long it took me to fry as well. I really wanted to make the last band work, but the other members weren't all that interested in doing anything tight, challenging, or the least bit different from the norm. There's already way too much of the norm around here... sad!

That's actually frightening! We did it as Sweet Home Arizona, but it didn't help any. Still the same endlessly long and go nowhere song!
Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona...Sweet Home Arizona......................

Someone please shoot me!

Back