Which Snare is Which?

Long Tall Matty

Hi All
I am returning to playing the drums after a long break, and loving it again. Just have a question about snare drums. I play rock/pop in a band and some metal when I am on my own! I have a few snare drums laying around here at work, some are made from metal and others are wooden. Which is the best for me? Is it down to listening or are there some guidlines? I would have guessed a wooden snare but hope someone here can guide me.
Thanks.
Long Tall Matty.

Hi All
I am returning to playing the drums after a long break, and loving it again. Just have a question about snare drums. I play rock/pop in a band and some metal when I am on my own! I have a few snare drums laying around here at work, some are made from metal and others are wooden. Which is the best for me? Is it down to listening or are there some guidlines? I would have guessed a wooden snare but hope someone here can guide me.
Thanks.
Long Tall Matty.

No fiberglass?

Really, there aren't really any guidelines. Just use whatever you like. Most drummers have both a metal one and a wood one, if they're only going to have two.

People will tell you that there are rules, but really it is all up to what you like. Metal snares tend to be louder but, as with everything, there are no absolutes.

Like others have said, no rules just a matter of which one sounds best for the music you are playing. I have 3 wooden snares and one metal snare. I tend to prefer the sound of the wood ones I have over the metal. Both have their place just depends on what you are doing.

Back