Which ride should I get?

Varlet

I’m finally upgrading from entry cymbals. I just got zildjian 14” new beat hi hats and love them. I’m wanting a ride that’s pretty good for most genres. I play mainly alt rock. I’ve went through tons at the store and the two I’m torn between are Sabian Omni AAX 22” & Meinl polyphonic 21”. I also like the Meinl vintage sand ride 20”. Which should I get? Thanks

Of the 3 rides you mentioned, I think both Meinl cymbals are more versatile. The Omni is designed to be versatile but it has a more specialized sound to it IMO.

Check out the 21" Zildjian K Sweet ride. It's extremely versatile, and you can even use it as a crash/ride. I play this ride with 14" New Beats, and it meshes perfectly.

Of the 3 rides you mentioned, I think both Meinl cymbals are more versatile. The Omni is designed to be versatile but it has a more specialized sound to it IMO.

Check out the 21" Zildjian K Sweet ride. It's extremely versatile, and you can even use it as a crash/ride. I play this ride with 14" New Beats, and it meshes perfectly.

Thank you! I appreciate it. I’ll check it out.

Nice pick! However I owned the A Sweet Ride Brilliant Finish. It too is extremely versatile, but brighter.

Nice pick! However I owned the A Sweet Ride Brilliant Finish. It too is extremely versatile, but brighter.

Thanks! Yeah, I played on the A sweet ride. I liked it and I definitely see why it’s a popular favorite. It’s a great sounding cymbal but I still kept going back to the Meinl polyphonic and Sabian Omni.

See if the store will let you bring your New Beats in to set up and try with those cymbals.
Maybe they'll go well together - maybe not.
I've got A and K Sweet rides, and they mesh together with New Beats like they're made for each other. YMMV
Ok thanks I appreciate the advice

I have the A Sweet Ride and it's a great ride, but ever since hearing the Polyphonic ride a few months back i'm drooling over that one.
Haven't played the ones you suggested, but i always found the AAX Omni a bit "bland" sounding. The Sand Ride is a great sounding ride too, but i would get the 22" because of the lower pitch.

I recently bought the 21"K sweet ( as part of the set ) but I can't get on with it....the body is too quiet to my ears. I can hardly hear it from the throne so very dubious as to how much it carries out front . The bell however is great and it does crash reasonably well. LOVE the K sweet Hats and crashes but I've gone back to my Sabian HH RBDR.

Check out the Sabian AA Bash Ride and the HHX Evolution Ride. Peace and goodwill.

+1 on taking your other cymbals with you. I generally prefer used cymbals if you're not sure but if you have a good store that you want to support, I'd try to take a guitarist with me. Since you play Rock, you probably want a Ride that doesn't get lost in the mix when playing with your band. Some Rides sound lovely on their own but don't provide enough cut once the guitarists go into overdrive. :)

I think that the 20" K Zildjian ride is extremely versitaial.

Attachments

• K0817-large.jpg
    K0817-large.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 2
I have the A Sweet Ride and it's a great ride, but ever since hearing the Polyphonic ride a few months back i'm drooling over that one.
Haven't played the ones you suggested, but i always found the AAX Omni a bit "bland" sounding. The Sand Ride is a great sounding ride too, but i would get the 22" because of the lower pitch.
Yeah I went back and played them all again and the Omni AAX didn’t sound as good as it did the first time I played it. The polyphonic was still sweet and the sand is probably my favorite now. I think I’m leaning towards the sand ride.

Reactions: iCe
I recently bought the 21"K sweet ( as part of the set ) but I can't get on with it....the body is too quiet to my ears. I can hardly hear it from the throne so very dubious as to how much it carries out front . The bell however is great and it does crash reasonably well. LOVE the K sweet Hats and crashes but I've gone back to my Sabian HH RBDR.
Yeah I played the k sweet a lot. It’s a great cymbal and would probably be good for me I’m just being picky because of the money and I figure I’ll keep this new ride for a long time. I’m really loving meinl and Sabian.

+1 on taking your other cymbals with you. I generally prefer used cymbals if you're not sure but if you have a good store that you want to support, I'd try to take a guitarist with me. Since you play Rock, you probably want a Ride that doesn't get lost in the mix when playing with your band. Some Rides sound lovely on their own but don't provide enough cut once the guitarists go into overdrive. :)
Good advice. Thanks!

My local store doesn’t have any paiste out right now but I like a lot of demos I hear. I like paiste on demos just never played on one. I do play alt rock and even some harder stuff but I tend to like jazzy/darker rides. Favorite drummer is jimmy chamberlin(smashing pumpkins) so could stem from that I don’t know. And I know he plays instanbul now but I just can’t justify the price tag. I’ll check this paiste ride out for sure though. Thanks!

I’m finally upgrading from entry cymbals. I just got zildjian 14” new beat hi hats and love them. I’m wanting a ride that’s pretty good for most genres. I play mainly alt rock. I’ve went through tons at the store and the two I’m torn between are Sabian Omni AAX 22” & Meinl polyphonic 21”. I also like the Meinl vintage sand ride 20”. Which should I get? Thanks
I can only speak for the Omni. I have a 22in aax Omni and I love it. However it's not as loud and cutting as I would like in my classic rock band so I use a 21in hhx evolution for that band but I use my Omni in my country band I think it's a great ride it's just a little too quiet for Rock.

Play the ride closer to the bell. Problem solved.

I love the 21" K Sweet because it's quiet at the edge and grows louder towards the bell. The bell itself is great and the fact that the cymbal is crashable is icing on the cake. Best ride I've ever played.

Back