Which ride has the most bang for the bucks?

Piebe

At this point i am using my thin crash as a ride, but i want a real ride now and sell my stagg thin crash. How much euro's would a decent ride cost me? I am not looking for a collectors item nor an expensive brand, just a ride that sounds good.

That depends on what kind of music you play, and what type of sound your going for....

I play stoner and jazz, the ride i am looking for may sound preferably very jazzy.

I ordered the Stagg DH-RJ20R for 99 euro which seems a fair deal to me. It is double hammered and 20".

Did you order yet? If you are going Stagg, I'd recommend the Stagg Classic Jazz Ride 21in (CS-RJ21). I said in another thread that I've tried one and it is really nice. Perfect for jazz and acoustic work.

Others here would have recommended second-hand. You can't go wrong with the classic A. Zildjian 20", 21" and 22" medium rides and all their cousins (Sweet Ride, Armand Ride), as well as the Sabian AA medium rides. They are very versatile, and I think there are usually a good number of them in the used market.

I did and they haven't got the classic jazz 21" but i can always return the 20" ride if i don't like it, but it was extremely cheap for 99 euro while others ship it for 200 euro or more.

Wow. You set a record. You ask what ride to get, and in three hours you have already ordered it. So much for any answers.

Wow. You set a record. You ask what ride to get, and in three hours you have already ordered it. So much for any answers.
I ran into it by coincidence, if it happened earlier i would not have opened this topic.

I received it today and boy does this ride fit the bill.

It is so huge and heavy, i just have one question: can i use it as a crash? And if not, why not?

i just have one question: can i use it as a crash? And if not, why not?

You own the thing, you tell us.

How does it crash? Does it work well or is it just too heavy and gong-like to provide a pleasant crash sound?

I have a couple of rides that sound great when crashed. I have others that just don't cut it at all. They sound great as a ride cymbal....plenty of ping, clarity and cut through a mix. But when crashed they just sound horrible.

Only one way to find out.....crash the thing and use your ears to determine if you like its tone.

You own the thing, you tell us.

How does it crash? Does it work well or is it just too heavy and gong-like to provide a pleasant crash sound?
Yes it is too heavy, but great for a ride.

check out the meinl 22" (or 20") sand ride.. might be out of your price range, but would fit your sound 100% perfectly.
Thanks but i can't afford it, i just bought a drum kit so i'll settle for this for the time being. :)

If money's not an option I'd suggest a 22" K Light Ride. You may be able to nab one of ebay for a decent price if you're lucky. I've seen a few go for around £200 (Which isn't that bad for a K)

I'm now using mine as a crash ride, and using a 24" ZHT as my main ride, but I've had the K for around 4 years and it's great. I play stoner/hard rock so i could recommend it for that. Nice stick definition and dark/raspy overtones which make it great for jazz as well. Makes a great crash though lol

I ordered the Stagg DH-RJ20R for 99 euro which seems a fair deal to me. It is double hammered and 20".

Well that's a fair deal. It must sound good.

Back