Which Practice Pad Is Best?

nocTurnal

Hi Drummer World. This is my first post.

I currently own a small Remo practice pad. It is a little loud. I would like a new pad that will be quieter, and also build strength. The following are some that I've considered. If you know of something isn't listed, please suggest it. I would appreciate it.

1. Aquarian Tru-Bounce - I first came aware of this pad after watching Mike Johnston playing on one on YouTube. According to him the main improvements over the popular HQ Real Feel are: (1) it fits on both 13" and 14" snares (HQ only fits on 14"), and (2) the pad has "less bounce" which would make a practicing drummer work harder.

2. HQ EcoPad (12" Double Sided) - I was seriously thinking of getting this one until I heard about the Tru-Bounce. It would appear this is the same as a HQ Real Feel, but better for the environment. Also has a different shape to it.

3. HQ Real Feel (12" Double Sided) - This appears to be the most popular. I don't think a link is necessary on this one.

4. Vic Firth Practice Pad (12" Double Sided) - This is what they had in Guitar Center. I once almost bought this in store. I decided I better go home first and look up the reviews. I then found about about Real Feel and the others making my decision really difficult!

5. Moon Gel Pad - Now this one is the latest one I heard of. It's a small non-bounce pad that will build strength.

So which pad would you recommend and why? Doesn't have to be one listed here. I'm really leaning towards the Tru-Bounce or the EcoPad.

I started out on a Remo tunable pad in high-school, I like the fact that you could change the tension with a screwdriver to change the feel of the head.

I've used a real feel 12" for the past decade and have liked it.

Last month I picked up a new six inch pad by Vater, it's red-colored and has a good feel and it's pretty quiet. Best of all it fits nicely in my luggage.

If your budget allows it: Buy the pad that feels best to your hands.

PS Welcome to DW on your first post!

I have the Vic Firth pad in my studio - great pad, double sided, good feel.

For a pad with a drum head, I also use the Sabian Quiet Tone. It is full size, has a real head and real rim. When placed on the snare drum it sets off the snares amazingly well - a great pad for practicing closed rolls. They can be seen in the top picture on this page from my website.

Jeff

Not sure what is "best", but if I may, I would like to introduce you to my P4 Practice Pad from Ludwig

Here is a video that shows what it does, and how it is different than every practice pad in the world..literally. If a variety of playing surfaces which enhance creativity and make practice fun is what you seek, this may be the pad for you..;)

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/ludwigtv/player.php?url=p4pad.flv

If it's not at your local shop, ask them to get it thru Ludwig, or you can get it on line at numerous locations.

Not sure what is "best", but if I may, I would like to introduce you to my P4 Practice Pad from Ludwig

Here is a video that shows what it does, and how it is different than every practice pad in the world..literally. If a variety of playing surfaces which enhance creativity and make practice fun is what you seek, this may be the pad for you..;)

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/ludwigtv/player.php?url=p4pad.flv

If it's not at your local shop, ask them to get it thru Ludwig, or you can get it on line at numerous locations.

I'm willing to second that.

Yeah I agree on the P4.. its pretty big, but the different surfaces are good and I can fit it in my rucksack.
I like to play rudiments in the woods.

I loove the Vic firth pads! I used to use the 6 inch a lot, but I so much prefer the feel of the 12 inch that I take it everywhere. I took it hiking recently, and brought the smallest snare stand in the world (I think), a flimsy Ludwig stand.
Casper

Re: Ludwig P4 Practice Pad

Thanks for all the replies thus far. And thank you Jeremy Bender for the "welcome."

Looks like the Ludwig P4 Practice Pad by Pat Petrillo is the most recommended practice pad in this thread. It's amazing with all the research on the internet I did that I never came across this one. I did actually do a search on this forum before creating this topic, but the search results aren't exact matches.

There were four of you in total including the P4 creator, Pat Petrillo, who recommended this one. It now seems like the obvious choice, especially after looking at the videos. I guess the only thing that would hold me back on this one is the price. Otherwise, it does seem like the best choice. I could get the Tru-Bounce for $32-35 dollars (Free Shipping) at Music123. The cheapest I can find the P4 Practice Pad is around $60. That's almost 2x as much as I'd like to pay. Not too many sites selling it yet. I imagine that's because it's still new.

Just remember, you get what you pay for!! The P4 is like buying the Cadillac of Practice Pads....and it really isn't THAT expensive, I might add.

I have two pads that I use: the P4 and the tru-bounce. The P4 is a dynamite pad that really gives me a workout. The tru-bounce has a nice feel to it and I find it convenient to just pop it out and play on it. P4 - #1 Tru-bounce - #2. Good luck.

Sabian Quiet Tone is by far the most realistic snare pad. I have a 14" at my kit. I also keep a 12" 2-sided Vater out on the porch and an 6" HQ real feel in my car with a copy of Stick Control.

"and an 6" HQ real feel in my car with a copy of Stick Control"

You keep a copy of stick control in your car?

That is probably the coolest thing I've ever read on the internet !

My teacher told me of one of his students that mounted a pad in the car to practice while stuck in traffic jams :)

Back on topic, I have just bought the vic firth one. It feels ok and it's quite quiet.

I've got an HQ pad, and it's been good. If you want to change the amount of rebound you can always do what Jojo Mayer suggests and put layers of towels over it to gradually increase your workout.

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the P4! It was a hit at PASIC this year.

NocTurnal, in regards to price, I know it is sold for around $50. It is a bit more than most, but it does more than most. Also, where do you live? Simply go to your drum shop, and if they carry Ludwig they can get it! Ask them to order it for you. You will save on shipping.

In reagrds to sizze, it is 12" round, and the same size as the HQ, but it's also a tad lighter, because it is made from mdf ultralight.

You do get more surface choices, and the levels are great for independance. It is an investment that will last you a lifetime, and will make the most out of your pad practice.

Good Luck, and keep me posted!

Last edited:
NocTurnal, in regards to price, I know it is sold for around $50. It is a bit more than most, but it does more than most. Also, where do you live? Simply go to your drum shop, and if they carry Ludwig they can get it! Ask them to order it for you. You will save on shipping.

You do get more surface choices, and the levels are great for independance. It is an investment that will last you a lifetime, and will make the most out of your pad practice.

Thanks a lot for replying in this thread, Pat. It is nice to see an important figure in the drum world reply to my very first thread! I feel honored. It looks like quite a creation you have here with the P4. I guess it is only a matter of time that this is available everywhere.

When I said "$60," that included the shipping and handling. If I could get it for $50 flat, I'd definitely get it. I live in Rhode Island. I will call Guitar Center as they carry Ludwig and see what they say about ordering and price. We don't have any drum shops around here. I've never actually been in a "drum shop." I imagine those of you whom live in a city have those?

I use an old Ludwig Billy Gladstone Vacuum Drum Pad but I'm not a great fan of pads these days

Still, the P4 looks like it could add spice to what is normally a pretty dry activity. Adding different sounds and textures seems like an idea whose time has come. I also like the way the small sections enforce accuracy

Not sure if the P4 is available in Oz, tho

Not sure if the P4 is available in Oz, tho

Haven't seen one around Polly, but that doesn't mean it's not available either. I'd check with Hydes for all things Ludwig........although, like most things outta Monroe, if you get a hold of one it's unlikely to be at bargain prices. Unfortunately, we pay through the nose for anything with a Ludwig badge downunder.

nocTurnal, I've been happy with the HQ's I use (12 and 6 inch). The P4 does look the biz though.

Back